Ouya - Android based open gaming console

I'll bet you five bucks that if OUYA software takes off in any kind of way even worth mentioning you'll soon find methods of running the games on plain-old Android devices. Possibly even OUYA's store, tricked into thinking it's running on an OUYA. Only reason I don't see this is happening is because you'd have to be out of your mind to sell something on OUYA and not Android. You could see some ideologues doing non-commercial releases exclusively for it but I doubt we'll be looking at any killer apps.

That's not including stuff that launches on OUYA a bit before it shows up on Android, though.

I will remark, one great service OUYA is doing for Android games is making a credible physical controls-only (for the most part) platform. Right now too few Android games have native physical controls support - there's emulation through touch but that has some serious limitations. But if you want a game on OUYA you mostly have to use the traditional buttons. It'd be really dumb to not then enable the same controls in standard Android versions, but I shouldn't underestimate the potential for dumb decisions here..

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine B)

BKLi513CQAAyOPA.jpg

For those of you who are now receiving your Ouya, you may be aware that there have been some issues with the controller that Ouya now claim to have fixed like:

1)  Touch pad sensitivity/accuracy

2)  Buttons sticking under the faceplate

3)  Sticking Joysticks due to glue seepage

4)  Joystick Dead Zones - Recent issue - See this thread - > http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1275/analog-stick-state-of-the-world/p2

If you have already got an Ouya (other than Dev units), you are likely to have issues 2 and 4 above.  What you may not know is that Ouya have offered to replace your controller. Here's a Quote form Ouya as per the above thread.

"CHAD Posts: 2Member, Administrator, Team OUYA May 11

Thanks for helping us bring improvements to OUYA! The controller issues have been resolved, and recent shipments include new updated versions. Any problematic controllers have been and will continue to be replaced with new versions at the players' request by writing us at support@ouya.tv. Thanks again for your support!"

Now let's see if they play their cards right or false into obscurity...this will prove the viability of Indy games. I wonder if that vc cash will corrupt them?

So far:

- attached HDMI cable is too short (2.Ft)

- problem w/ connecting to the home WiFi (need to go over Android settings instead OUYA settings)

- slow servers (game icons from a screenshot above load time is slow)

- shutter app store (or maybe it must be like that?)

- controller issue "Buttons sticking under the faceplate" - so far (IMO) it is regarding OUYA button

- controller issue "Joystick Dead Zones" - cannot confirm that after playing Vector (one game so far)

- easy to navigate

- Vector looks great comparable to Canabalt

So far:

- attached HDMI cable is too short (2.Ft)

- problem w/ connecting to the home WiFi (need to go over Android settings instead OUYA settings)

- slow servers (game icons from a screenshot above load time is slow)

- shutter app store (or maybe it must be like that?)

- controller issue "Buttons sticking under the faceplate" - so far (IMO) it is regarding OUYA button

- controller issue "Joystick Dead Zones" - cannot confirm that after playing Vector (one game so far)

- easy to navigate

- Vector looks great comparable to Canabalt
You can download an app to test your Ouya joysticks out for dead zones from this thread (See post from efroemling)

: http://forums.ouya.tv/discussion/1275/analog-stick-state-of-the-world

It will plot your joystick movements to show any dead spots

If you have just received your Ouya then it's 50/50 whether you will have the issue. Ouya have fixed the issue supposedly, but I believe it's only recently so you may/may not have it.

Yeah - I know that can be 50:50 situation. I have downloaded apk but it looks like Dropbox is not working properly on OUYA so I need to sideload it via USB.

Got mine today too.   :)  Pretty cool so far.  Now to finish porting Vertex Blaster (Super Geometry Dust)...   :D
You will have to let us know what its like, I'm still on the fence as to getting one at retail.

Got mine today too.   :)  Pretty cool so far.  Now to finish porting Vertex Blaster (Super Geometry Dust)...   :D
Did you get a kick starter model then?

Should be getting mine next week.

Last edited:
You will have to let us know what its like, I'm still on the fence as to getting one at retail.
It's pretty cool so far!  I'm happy with the build quality and everything, although I'd say it's not quite what you'd get with MS or Sony.  My only real gripe is the menu system - it's pretty laggy.  I'm sure that will get better with updates though.

Did you get a kick starter model then?

Should be getting mine next week.
Yeah.  I'm surprised I got mine as quickly as I did, as I was towards the very end of the queue (or so I thought).

Back