Overclocking Help

Kumaki

Ok, I am not finding what I'm really looking for in how to go about overclocking...or changing the current clock speed on your Pandora.

I tried searching the Forums...obviously, I do not know what keywords to really look for to give me what information I actually want.

I tried looking in the SETTINGS area of the menu.  I did not find any way to change the setting.

I'm hoping to be able to do this without re-booting, by the way.

I have a ReBirth, which is currently defaulted to clock at 800 Mhz.  although it scares me, I'm willing to try jumping to 1000 - if I can only know how...just to see if anything on PPSSPP works better that way.  I'm having a terrible time getting anything to play at actual speed, or anything even closely resembling it.

Please, can someone tell me where I can find the information I actually want...or just tell me here?

I'm not a very technical person, so a big article full of tech terms isn't going to help me.

Honestly I need something like

Push Button A

Type B

Press Enter.

Basically, I need the Overclocking Pandora For Dummies posting,

I mean...I managed, a long time ago, to put Dingux on a Dingoo...but I also had the help of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Installing Dingux to help me.  It just gave me steps.  It did not try to explain what was happening on a technical level that I don't understand.

IT just told me what buttons to press, gave me screenshots of what I should expect at each stage...and what to do when I got to that point.

so I'm looking for some similar Complete Idiot's Guide to Overclocking Pandora.

Sorry, folks, not everyone is born knowing all this stuff, so if someone will find it in them to kindly help me with this I would appreciate it.

Hello Kumaki. If you are considering increasing your CPU clock speed to 1000MHz or a little beyond:

Click the Pandora Menu Icon/press your Pandora button.

Go to "Settings." Then, choose  "CPU Settings." Click on that.

At the "CPU Settings" screen lets concentrat on just two of the menu items for now: "Set max allowed MHz", and "Set max allowed OPP level."

For the first one, set your new Max MHz speed to 1000MHz. Click OK to approve the speed setting.

For the second, change your OPP level to either 4 or 5. Click OK to approve the OPP setting.

Once these are done, just click "Exit."

Then test your new 1000MHz speed to your heart`s content.

Hope this helps you.

...Patnik.

Just from memory:

I think that running at 1000MHz at OPP 4 was unstable for me. But you can try. Better use OPP 5 for everything over 1000 MHz.

Remember that overvolting (OPP) might decrease your CPU lifespan. Even if not by much.

When you have a freeze while testing new settings, remember to hold the Pandorabutton and flick the powerswitch instead of pulling the battery out.

You can also test your machines overclockingabilities by running this utility for a while:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=package.overclock_test.notaz

Some more info:

If a program uses a lot of neon code, like pcsxrearmed, it cannot be overclocked as much as the neonunit will freeze the Pandora if clocked over about 800 MHz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Kumaki. If you are considering increasing your CPU clock speed to 1000MHz or a little beyond:

Click the Pandora Menu Icon/press your Pandora button.

Go to "Settings." Then, choose  "CPU Settings." Click on that.

At the "CPU Settings" screen lets concentrat on just two of the menu items for now: "Set max allowed MHz", and "Set max allowed OPP level."

For the first one, set your new Max MHz speed to 1000MHz. Click OK to approve the speed setting.

For the second, change your OPP level to either 4 or 5. Click OK to approve the OPP setting.

Once these are done, just click "Exit."

Then test your new 1000MHz speed to your heart`s content.

Hope this helps you.

...Patnik.
Actually, yes.

This helps me a bunch, and thank you!

Now I can overclock when I want to play PPSSPP, and then downclock it for everything else, which does not require such a high clock speed.

This was exactly what I needed, thanks

Hey, by the way, I figured out on my own...that this alone does not change the clock speed...only the max clock speed.

After you set this max speed...you have to go back into SYSTEM...select CPU Speed...and then set your speed from there.

Even clocking to 1000 didn't help Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins very much, I'm afraid.

Can only hope PPSSPP gets better with time.

I wanted to have it, anyway, just so that I could use it.

I will probably wind up getting myself a 1 GHZ version soon enough.  Mom's jealous about me watching movies on mine now...so I may just get the Giga version, and gift her with my old ReBirth....which, by the way, has served me well.  But for what she wants to do...the Rebirth is all the power she is ever going to need, LOL

P.S. Would be really nice if, on the compatibility list for PPSSPP...they also put what the best settings for that game were...like frameskipping, etc.  I'm really bad at playing with those things, since I'm not really sure what I'm actually doing...what effect each setting change will produce.

It's pretty tough to just expiriment with this stuff...if you don't actually know what effects are produced by what settings....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back