Overclocking

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
I'm sorry for such a dumbass n00b question, but could someone give me, or point me to, a guide to overclocking?

I have an Athlon Duron 750Mhz, I have heard it is overclockable to 1.1Ghz, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Im looking to OC to get better performance out of Halo, it runs brilliant on low settings, and good on high, but sometimes it slows down.

Try this page for starters

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16788

Introduction
First off, overclock process depends on several factors such as Front Bus Frequency (FSB), Multipler, vCore voltage, RAM, Cooling System and Power Supply Unit (PSU), Motherboard and processor itself. FSB, multipler and vcore voltage are changed in BIOS so, why are the other factors important to overclock? That's because:
1. The user has to rise the vcore voltage to get high results and when the voltage is rised, the processor temperature also rises very fast and one good cooling system assures lower temps, therefore, the processor will more probably run stable and safe;
2. The user has to pump up FSB and if the RAM doesn't handles with the higher frequences the system will experience stability problems (freezing, BSODs, crashes), therefore it's wise to get good DDR RAM (400Mhz PC3200 if the motherboard supports it or 333Mhz PC2700, at least), the RAM brands are also very important, be sure you get a good brand, i.e. Kingston or Corsair;
3. Pumping up the voltages will demand more power from the PSU, the good cooling system fans (or the water cooling system pumps) also will, therfore be sure you get a good PSU [350W or more depending the hardware (PCI cards, DVD, USB devices, HD, fans) installed in your rig] from a good brand (i.e. Antec). As far as PSUs are concerned, brands are very important!
4. There are motherboards that are indeed more overclockable and i know i.e. nForce2 chipset is "friendly" than KT600 chipset, refer to Anandtech, hardOCP and FastLaneHW (thanks to SDA for the links)
5. The XP mobile processors have more overclockability than the rest of XP series but, even between same XP processor core and specs, the user will find that some are better than others to OC and some get hotter than others. Every processor is unique just like people.

Back