Overclocking???

Sparky

Still Fresh
At risk of being beaten by a blunt instrument for asking silly questions, please know I am not a Techie in any way, so would appreciate some help in laymans terms.

Overclocking?

1) Is this done on the emulator software or the GP32 software.

2) In a previous topic it was mention that you can get an overclocked version of snes9x which runs at 166mhz, which works on the BLU+, where do I get it, and how do I get it working.

3) What is Frameskip rate and how do you change it

4) Totally off the overclocking subject, where can I get opensnes 0.1, as this supposedly works on the BLU+, but all I can find are later versions, which funnily enough dont work?

I did warn you that they were silly questions, feel free to abuse me

Thanks in advance for your abuse (oh....and help!)

Sparky

1) The GP32's cpu is only really supposed to be run at up to 133mhz. However, most units will go higher than that - this is what's known as overclocking. The speed that the cpu runs at is set by the game/emulator that you are running. Many emulators allow you to choose the cpu speed with higher clock speeds resulting in better performance.

3) Frameskip is... the number of frames (ie screen updates) that are skipped by an emulator. For example, an original Genesis may run a game at 60 frames per second. Ideally a Genesis emulator would also run the game at 60 frames per second but the capabilities of the system doing the emulating (in our case the GP32) may mean that it simply can't cope with 60 frames per second. So the devvers will write their emulator to miss out frames to speed things up - the less frames that are displayed the more jerky the emulation becomes. Some emulators use 'auto-frameskip' to increase and decrease how many frames are skipped as is needed. Other emulators allow you to set how many frames are skipped - usually in the options menu for the emulator.

2) & 4) Best place to start would be the GP32x file archive and YoYo's webpage (linked from the file archive).

Hope that helps!

J(ohn)

Back