Overclocking

rydore

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Is overclocking bad for the unit?
I have a AC adapter so battery consumption is a non issue but I'm wondering what is the maximum overclock the unit should be set to?
Does the chip heat up and burn out?
I'm kinda new to the GP2X world and don't want to ruin my unit.
Does anybody have a list of emulators and what they should set the clock speed to for each (I know some are dependent on the game, but looking for ball park).

Is overclocking bad for the unit?
I have a AC adapter so battery consumption is a non issue but I'm wondering what is the maximum overclock the unit should be set to?
Does the chip heat up and burn out?
I'm kinda new to the GP2X world and don't want to ruin my unit.
Does anybody have a list of emulators and what they should set the clock speed to for each (I know some are dependent on the game, but looking for ball park).
The worst that will happen is it will be unstable and crash the current program. Just restart your 2X and overclock to a lower clockrate next time.

ARM processors don't generate much heat, so dn't worry about the CPU melting.

Last edited by a moderator:
The CPU speed that you can reach is anywhere between 240 and 300+, though I think most people get around 270-280. It's a total gamble what you can get to, just try some high ones, and if it crashes after 10 mins (or right away) try a lower one.

My mk1 goes to 300, first mk2 to 280, and second mk2 to 266. They're getting slower...?

You won't do any damage overclocking on an ARM processor so if you're using the AC adapter, don't hesitate!
(but don't try it on your x86 procesor ;) )

280MHz here
ARM are very good with OC
(I remember my GP32 was able to OC @ 224MHz stable...that was great for SNES back then)

see you :lol:

224 on the gp32, wow, that's amazing! SNES on a gp32 overclocked to 224 must be nearly perfect, and battery life must be still better than that of the gp2x I guess.

The max for my gp32 is 166, my first edition mk1 gp2x goes up to 285 / 290 stable (battery drain is ridiculous though).

I'm getting 290MHz, but 240MHz should be sufficient for most things. And, of course, overclocking a lot eats the batteries...

Probobly a dumb newbie question, but how do you test your units max clock speed?
I would just try out your games/emus/apps at higher clock speeds and see where it gets unstable... I know that the gp32 has a clock speed tester but I don't think the gp2x has an application like that. anyone out there know if i'm wrong?

the cpu lcd tweaker can do that, however the test is not very reliable as it doesn't stress the gp2x enough.

Probobly a dumb newbie question, but how do you test your units max clock speed?
I would just try out your games/emus/apps at higher clock speeds and see where it gets unstable... I know that the gp32 has a clock speed tester but I don't think the gp2x has an application like that. anyone out there know if i'm wrong?

It has a tester but it's not reliable...
I personnaly use 2xQuake and gMenu to set clockspeed. When I reach a speed that becomes unstable, I can overclock megahertz per megahertz, and let the Quake demo run. It's a game that use a lot of GP2X's processing power, so it's more reliable than the GP2X tester (I think it is included with the LCD-ram tweaker)

For info, I have 272 stable on games (Quake demo running for an hour), but the CPU speed tester goes up to 290 or 295Mhz...

Back