P2 Slackware as default?

Given that we'll have a lot of internal space, I think I'd be possible to keep a armel chroot around for compatibility with Pandora 1 software?
We currently cannot switch to hf because of the 3d drivers and libraries : are in armel format and hf cannot link to that. I bet on a HF system current PND cannot run because they wont be able to access to the 3D drivers...
EDIT:

No, bad, bad sebt3. No cookie.
What did you expect out of me ? I'm always bad :D Beside, with that clicker thingy you linked us a few weeks ago, I got my quota of cookies, but hey thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
2GB  = 3$

4GB  = 3$

8GB  = 4.60$

16GB= 8.20$

32GB= 17.30$

Probably more for end customers.

Lets say: 10$ for 16 GB Flash and 20$ for 32 GB Flash.

http://en.chinaflashmarket.com/pricecenter/emmc

The only eMMC I can find from normal distributors is like $70 for 32 GB at quantities of 1000. $27 for 16 GB and $14 for 8 GB. So it's probably going to be somewhere between rohezal's numbers and the ones I found.
Just out of curiosity - what do 64GB versiosn price at?

My rule of thumb: Any time it costs less than twice as much to double the memory/storage, it's probably worth it.

The difference from 8GB to 16GB (somewhere between $4 and $13) is a no-brainer. Take the 16GB.

The difference from 16GB to 32GB (somewhere between $9.10 and $43) is a bit more complicated. If it's closer to the $10 side of the range, then by all means, go 32GB. If it's more than a $30 jump, that becomes harder to justify.

If rohezal's prices are 'right', to not go 32GB would be silly.

If we can get 64GB eMMC for under $50 extra, I'm in, but I'm not sure that applies to everyone. Maybe two versions? One with 16 or 32GB eMMC, the other with 64GB eMMC for $100 more?

There are hf drivers now. But we can't use them because all the software expects armel :p

If nothing else comes to it, it'll "just" be to make wrappers for all the system libraries. Not fun, but doable.

If we can get 64GB eMMC for under $50 extra, I'm in, but I'm not sure that applies to everyone. Maybe two versions? One with 16 or 32GB eMMC, the other with 64GB eMMC for $100 more?
I could not find any "add to card" suppliers with 64 GB versions, that also had a price listed online.

There are hf drivers now. But we can't use them because all the software expects armel :p

If nothing else comes to it, it'll "just" be to make wrappers for all the system libraries. Not fun, but doable.

I could not find any "add to card" suppliers with 64 GB versions, that also had a price listed online.
Is the eMMC definitely going to reside on a dedicated plug-in card then? Or is it going to be a BGA package directly on the motherboard? Has ED made a statement either way?

If it's 100% going to be on a user replaceable card, ship them all with 4GB and sell the larger cards for $25-$100+ each.

I'm happy about Debian being used. : )

Let's use Openbox and Tint2 or so as GUI. Its more light weight than xfce and easily customisable (no GTK+). Just look at CrunchBang #! ; )

If possible how about we use a cheap eMMC on a module? That way those who want more space can upgrade and as it wears and breaks you can easily replace it!

^ Most non-game software will rely on GTK or Qt anyway, so you might as well get a default enviroment that integrates somewhat with the programs..

^ Most non-game software will rely on GTK or Qt anyway, so you might as well get a default enviroment that integrates somewhat with the programs..
so? thats no reason to use or not to use it. The advantage of Openbox is you can heavily customise it and its fairly easy on top of that

I'd be very happy about a bootmanager for multiple operating systems

The cool thing is, you're welcome to install whatever OS you want.

I can understand from a device production and support perspective, though, that going with something like Debian stable makes a lot of sense.

i like debian as the new default os. currently i'm into archlinux mainly because of the rolling updates model and the nice wiki-docs.
so debian or arch would be my favours.

-snip-
emmc is bga without internal card-slot, wikipedia told me.

Can we have a more official support for alternate OSes? Like, have official versions if Ubuntu, Arch, etc for ths P2 so as to give the less tech savy a piece of mind when installing the "unknown"

Can we have a more official support for alternate OSes? Like, have official versions if Ubuntu, Arch, etc for ths P2 so as to give the less tech savy a piece of mind when installing the "unknown"
Official versions means you need to ask Ubuntu to officially support the Pandora successor, my friend. You are asking in the wrong place. Mail Mark instead. 

Another thumbs up for Debian....

Have used it for over 7 years on various devices and it never let me down!.....

Second choice would probably be Arch....

having used arch, and ubuntu, and a few other distros (such as the pandora version of angstrom) over the years, I wouldn't mind having a more stable distro like debian. I'm not saying that I had issues with the others (except never having a clean update in Ubuntu since version 7.04, usually had to wipe the drive and start from scratch)  It will just be nice have one big update every couple of years, instead of every 6 months or shorter. I don't need the latest flash in my os! it just slows things down (usually) and occasionally changes things that should be left alone (windows 8.1 hiding certain aspects of the network control panel :angry:  ). although arch would not go down poorly with me either :D

Seriously, why is there so much love for Debian ? I'm sure as soon as Debian becomes the standard distribution, people are going to complain they don't have the latest libreoffice, the latest gimp and shit like that, because Debian packages take YEARS before they are updated.

Debian is a MINOR distribution currently for desktop users, it is far from being the most popular one. Debian makes sense mostly for servers where you want stability before anything else.

FWIW, Debian is currently shown as #2 in page hit rankings on DistroWatch.com.....and yes, I know that's not a real scientific study....but there's definitely more interest in Debian that you think....

As why the love for Debian? Because it really is rock solid distro, with good support and helpful community unlike some other distros where noobs are made to often feel terrible by virtue of asking questions that are deemed stupid by the 'pompous cognoscenti'in that community......still think that Arch is good distro though.... ;)

As why the love for Debian? Because it really is rock solid distro, with good support and helpful community unlike some other distros where noobs are made to often feel terrible by virtue of asking questions that are deemed stupid by the 'pompous cognoscenti'in that community......
My point is, many people here are already complaining that many PNDs are not from the very bleeding edge version of several applications available on Linux, and going for Debian is going to disappoint these people as well who want the latest versions.

So, Debian is not a solution.

Back