Page I Found That May Lead To Some Ports

Mattz

Still Fresh
I've been looking at some stuff about open source game engines and such, and I came across this page:
Links to Engine Reimplementations

I've had a poke around and it appears that source code to these engines is available, and I am wondering if this means that they can be ported to ARM? At the OpenMorrowind and GemRB (Infinity Engine) they both claim to run natively on linux. So can the engines shown on this page (Completed ones of course) be ported to ARM easily? Or will they require too much rewriting to be worth the effort?

If they're open source, they don't need much in the way of porting to ARM. However, most will need porting to OpenGL ES 2.0.

wow, i posted this about 3 months ago and nobody responded, i mean it's got gta 1 engine rewrites, falout engine reverse engineered, its a VERY good site for ideas to port stuff.

I may try and port one of these, but I've never compiled with ARM before (I use Code::Blocks and that has all the comiler settings set up already, what is the best way to set up Code::Blocks for compiling for the pandora?
(and I' sure I will be able to do the Open GL stuff fairly easily, there's bound to be a tut or reference for conversions).

Also most sources come as .tgz, I've not had much experience with linux, are these archive files or source code files?

Mattz said:
Also most sources come as .tgz, I've not had much experience with linux, are these archive files or source code files?
.tgz is the acronym for .tar.gz. Using the technical but slightly archaic definition, they are gzipped (tape) archive files. More clearly, they are just zipped up files, similar to .zip or .rar. And, in the same way, a .tgz file could be a compressed single file, or (more likely) a collection of files and/or directories compressed into one file. Under linux, to extract the file, you would use the command:
CODE
tar -xzvf yourfilename.tgz

'x' stands for extract, 'z' for unzip, 'v' for verbose (lists files as they extract), and 'f' for indicating the next argument is the file name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattz said:
redundant reply removed ... great explanation by Yamara above...

So for these to be able to play on the Pandora, they would need to be ported to OpenGL ES 2.0?

Boaradoor said:
So for these to be able to play on the Pandora, they would need to be ported to OpenGL ES 2.0?
For these to play on the Pandora, they would need to be ported to the Pandora. A step in porting it to the Pandora would be to port it to OpenGL ES, which is, from what I hear, quite difficult.

What exactly would I need to do this? I have Visual C++ 2008. I'm sure if I look around enough I could find out how. :)

Yamara said:
Mattz said:
.tgz is the acronym for .tar.gz. [...] they are just zipped up files, similar to .zip or .rar.

It's also worth noting that in Windows-land, WinRAR can happily open .tgz files (although it may sometimes show you a single tar file, but if you extract that again you'll see the file contents)

Back