GP2X Porting Clanlib To The Gpx2

second exodous

Advanced Member
I did a search for clanlib, clan-lib and clan lib and didn't find anything, so I'm assuming this is a new subject, don't get too testy if it's not. Anyway, I was thinking of porting ClanLib to the GPX2, basically it's a cross platform C++ framework(taken right from the page I linked). So does anyone think they'll use this? I'm a horrible programmer, so it might take me a while, but I asked on the clanlib mailing list what they thought and they were all optimistic. This game led me to it, I've always wanted to make my own Link to the Past type game. I've been waiting for ever to have Zelda Classic ported to Linux, and it's closed source anyway, so I'm not sure if that's the one to bet on. There are also some games that use ClanLib that can probably be ported right over pretty easily after ClanLib. Well, the ones that don't use OpenGL anyway. Actually Secret of Eternia uses OpenGL, but the programmer/designer said that it's only for lighting affects and quote: It would certainly be a trivial change to make it work on the device - and very much worth it End quote. So even some of the ones that use OpenGL could have it taken out.

So what does everyone think? Good idea or dead-end?

Thanx,
Stan

I am not sure.. it be nice definitely as it opens a whole new route for developers but the device already supports SDL. How much more functionality will it add on top of SDL?

Well, it's basically an SDK for creating games that can use SDL. It basically streamlines development of games. Qutoe from the ClanLib site:

The primary goal of ClanLib is to aid developers to rapidly create games and other applications.

It's to speed things up and make things easier, and from what I hear it's very well implemented.

Thanx,
Stan

What is Fenix exactly? Is it another SDK? Is this it? I fell left out with the gp32 and game development, I wanted one but they were sold out everywhere, so this time I made sure to reserve a copy of the GPX2.

Thanx,
Stan

second exodous posted on Sep 27 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
What is Fenix exactly? Is it another SDK? Is this it? I fell left out with the gp32 and game development, I wanted one but they were sold out everywhere, so this time I made sure to reserve a copy of the GPX2.

Thanx,
Stan

Fenix is a language similar to DIV, being designed to make games and small apps easily. It was ported to the GP32 as a runtime you put in the system folder. Read more here

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried porting clanlib some time ago for use with trophy (2d racing game) but I had problems cross compiling it.

I can't remember what the problem was now but there is a new version now so it might be worth another try.

Awesome. I was hoping someone would do the same for Allegro though...

:huh: Allegro's fine, several games I've ported use it

Clanlib sounds interesting but I still don't know what exactly it offers.
Does someone have some examples or something?

there numerous games that uses it while i was browsing for new games to port. i came across a few that used it so if it gets ported we can possible port more games to the gp2x that uses it. I'm intrested :)

Back