Clanlib And Nanogl

Pleng

Having spent some time getting myself aquainted with the Novashell games creation system, I have just started work on a game, which I would love to be able to bring to the Pandora.

Novashell is an open-source games engine which currently runs on Windows/Linux/MacOS, and the author has shown some interest in Pandora. The big stumbling block to proting Novasell, from what I can tell, is that it relies on Clanlib. Clanlib itself relies on OpenGL, and of course the driver for the Pandora's GPU doesn't support full OpenGL.

Now I really don't know much about low-level coding so please forgive me if I'm way off track here, but I read somewhere that Quake 3 had been ported using something called NanoGL, which converts OpenGL code to OpenGL ES. Is it possible that clanlib could be ported using the same system?

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
What does clanlib do, though?
Well I'm not too sure. I think it's some kind of sprite rendering/audio processing library, All I know is that Novashell and games created with it depend on it.

IIRC, G3D uses it for handling multiplayer network connections. Seems something we'd want to port :)

EDIT: I was talking about ClanLib, naturally, not nanogl :)

'Pickle' said:
I will say it again, nanogl isnt a full opengl, but the parts that quake uses.It may or may not work for this application.
...and with Qiake being a 3D engine, and Clanlib being a 2D library, is it safe to assume that NanoGL won't help?

..and with Qiake being a 3D engine, and Clanlib being a 2D library, is it safe to assume that NanoGL won't help?

NanoGL really only adds a partial implementation of the Begin/End paradigm. I would guess ClanLib requires more than that.

'lulzfish' said:
Yeah, that's exactly what nanogl does.
If it's open-source then, somebody could try porting it.

What does clanlib do, though?
It's got a BSD-like license so, yeah, it's open source.

CODE
http://clanlib.org/docs/clanlib-2.0.0/overview/

Back