PaintShop Pro - Help Required

Ian J

Advanced Member
Is anyone on the forums a PaintShop Pro user that can give me some help or point me to a forum with a friendly community that can help me out.

I want to cut an object from a white background and paste it onto a black background, problem is that the image now has a white halo around it.

I can't think what i would be needing to search for on Google to find a solution, is this mask issues or matting????

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Set your selection tool to feather mode, and select a small amount *inside* the object you want to cut out. The feathering will take up the remaining section of the object that you didn't clip, and graduate the alpha transparency towards the edge. Then when pasting, the translucent areas will fade the new background in.

Lots of practice and plenty of patience is needed.

D.

Set your selection tool to feather mode, and select a small amount *inside* the object you want to cut out. The feathering will take up the remaining section of the object that you didn't clip, and graduate the alpha transparency towards the edge. Then when pasting, the translucent areas will fade the new background in.

D.
Many thanks that worked a treat.

I still need to fine tune it but the image now doesn't look like a blue-screen special effect from the 70's

Many thanks that worked a treat.

I still need to fine tune it but the image now doesn't look like a blue-screen special effect from the 70's
Yeah, getting just the right distance away from the edge is hard, and takes some skill :)

D.

Is there any free software out there specifically aimed at what I'm trying to do?

Not sure about free s/w for that myself...

Photoshop CS2 is available for free d/l now, Adobe list the s/n with the download as it's old now... Of course only people who've previously purchased CS2 should be d/ling it.

May be able to do this with Paintshop Pro too?

Seeing as you copying cut object to black, this should work ok and is a quick few step process...

-Magic Wand the white background

-Select inverse

-Layer via copy

-Drag that layer with just the object onto your black background image

If that leaves you with a little white outline still around your object

-Add a black 1px stroke layer effect, set the position to 'inside'. That should cover the white outline black now, and seeing as your image is on black background anyway, will not show

Thanks guys this has really helped me out.

I have always wanted to move from using PaintShop Pro to Photo Shop as it seems to be the industry standard but cost compared to how often I use it has always put me off.

Oh well that ends that then, not used PSP since above, just tried it and it fails to load.

I have re-installed it but no joy, looks like a system update on windoze 7 has killed my faithful software off.

I have been running PSP9 for many years no problem on this very same machine, anything out there cheap that people can recommend?

I don't need all singing/dancing as I only use it for the odd bit of image manipulation for photo's / ebay stuff.

I use PSP7 - it's the one before they tried to imitate Photoshop's UI. I love it, it's great for pixel work. You can find copies of it quite easily online, and it's really quite a small archive so quite a few people have it hosted online.... cough, cough.

D.

I'll give PSP7 a go as that's the GUI I'm familiar with, would love to try and find out what has been updated that has stopped PSP9 from working.

I may have to install Windoze 7 on an old machine and gradually install updates.

So annoying that there is no easy way of finding out what is causing the issue.

Just a thought... have you tried running your PSP9 in compatibility mode?

So that it runs under WinXP mode or something?

The first time you run PSP7 you'll have to launch in admin mode so it can set its registry keys. After that it will run normally.

D.

I have been running the same PC without re-install for 3 years, PSP9 worked fine all that time until my recent post :(

I removed the install and tried again but no joy.

I can only think it must be an update to some software on my system, the only things I update are the usual things like Java, Flash, Virus definitions any updates pushed by MS.

Really gutted as I love PSP9.

Just a thought... have you tried running your PSP9 in compatibility mode?

So that it runs under WinXP mode or something?
Yep tried all settings :(

Back