So I Was Happily Watching Lost

A

Aaaaaaaa

on a well known video streaming website when I was hit by a virus!

Lovely!

I have a nice background saying I have a virus, and a button in the toolbar which tells me I have a virus, which links me to the "totally legit" website for "antivirusXP Pro".

Trendmicro website is blocked (redirects to adware)
So is Vtunnel (wasnt exactly sure how that would help anyway)
Cant use task manager.

AVG cant seem to find anything.

http://windowsprotection.net/how-to-remove...%9D-background/

Ive been on this site but none of the files described are there.

Any ideas anyone?

Get hijackthis through download.com or majorgeeks or somewhere.

restart into safe mode

run it and scan. You will see a list of things that want to run at start-time. Find out the culprit and delete him from the list as well as any other BHO's or start-up items that look suspect.

Make sure to record where they are in a directory and delete them from here as well.

Than restart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's pretty bad. After you do fix it you should make sure to use Sandboxie the next time you want to use the website.

If it's the same dodgy antivirus which infected two Windows computers on my network, then the way I got rid of it was with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It cleared it right up, no hassle, no need for safe mode.

'nickspoon' said:
If it's the same dodgy antivirus which infected two Windows computers on my network, then the way I got rid of it was with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It cleared it right up, no hassle, no need for safe mode.
+1, QFT.

Antivirus 2009 (and its variants, like AV XP etc) is a nasty little sod, and very difficult to get rid of. Malwarebytes' product is possibly one of the only sure ways to get rid of it - though it does tend to leave some bits lying around (though inactive!) which you can clean up manually later. I tried combofix and hijackthis, but both failed to do a thorough job. Took days to finally clean it up, mind - you might have to run the malwarebytes app more than once as it generally has to reset when it's restored your task manager, start menu and regedit.

D.

I had to deal with that one at work on someone's pc not that long ago. I just backed everything up and reinstalled. It's not worth the hassle, IMO. Maybe if it had hit a server or something, but not someone`s desktop.

The worst part about that one is that it does not block AV sites with the hosts file, it hijacks the DNS requests. You can still access those AV sites by IP address, IIRC, but it is still a pain in the ass to get rid of.

Yup it's a horribly difficult and evil bug to get rid of. Like nickspoon said, the best way to get rid of it is to download Malwarebyte's Anti-malware. You can use the free version, no need to buy the other version they have. I had one particularly nasty infection on one computer. It even blocked me from installing Malwarebytes. I had to follow these instructions I found at another site. Below is only necessary if it blocks you from installing Malwarebytes. I would also run spybot search and destroy to clean it up. Lastly hijackthis can help you with any other left behind problems you might have. It also seems best to run these utilities from safe mode with no networking.

Please try the following routine to see if you can get Malwarebytes to run.

* Click on Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc and click OK
* On the View menu click on Show hidden devices
* Browse to Non-Plug and Play Drivers and you should see something like TDSSserv.sys
* Highlight that driver and right click on it and select DISABLE
* Now RESTART your computer.
* Download a copy of Malwarebytes but DO NOT run it yet.
* Rename the downloaded installer file to any generic name such as your own name but keep the .EXE extension on the file and run it.
* Once the program is installed go to the UPDATE tab and try to update the program if you can.
* Then go to the SCANNER tab and run a Quick Scan and allow MBAM to fix anything found.

I've repaired several computers from this, but I never know if they are truly safe, so if you really want to be sure everything is gone, a backup of critical files and a reformat/reinstall is the only way I know of for sure.

Good Luck

That happened to me a few years back. It was the worst virus attack I've ever had. Despite all the virus scans, etc., the only way I was able to solve it was to reinstall the operating system.
Hopefully virus protection software is better nowadays.

The easiest way to fix it is...
Tune in to my next post to solve this mystery. (Don't worry, i wont just pose even more unanswered questions while leaving the original one unanswered still! I know I've lied to you every time before, but its different this time)

'PoisonedV' said:
The easiest way to fix it is...
Tune in to my next post to solve this mystery. (Don't worry, i wont just pose even more unanswered questions while leaving the original one unanswered still! I know I've lied to you every time before, but its different this time)
Aaaand that is why I do not watch Lost any more. Best post in ages.

'aaron11193' said:
'Sphinxter' said:
To get rid of the problem and never worry about it again try installing a different operating system.
+1 :)

Windows is for playing games, and playing games only.
Infact, it is a game itself.

Yeah! Linux is superior! sieg heil!
... oops.

Back