Pak Files

atnotts

Still Fresh
Hi,

Really struggling with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right, see if I've got it right so far:

To play modded BOR games (eg, the Megaman and Castlevania ones) you have to have Juggler's version of BOR.fxe which lets you choose your PAK file. Got that.

Now...

I have to dowload the .rar files of the mods from the specific sites.

But how do I turn these into PAK files? I know this probably sounds stupid for those in the know, but I have no experience with PAK files really. So any suggestions/alternate ways of easily playing the modified BORs on GP32 would be great.

cheers,
alex

if you're asking about how to extract rar files all you have to do is dowload winrar. Search Google.

Hi,

No. I can extract the files (I use ExtractNow). With most the downloads there are 4 rar packages. How do I extract these and make them into one PAK file, for use with BOR?

Unless there is a site with this already done?

alex

New versions of Winrar extract all parts of an archive (i.e. the 4 downloaded .rar files, which will either be called blah.part1.rar, blah.part2.rar etc. or blah.rar blah.r00, etc.) at once, regardless of which one you open. If you double click on them with winrar installed you'll find one of several things:

<> A .pak file and a set of PC executables. In which case just copy the .pak file to gp:\\gpmm\bordata\ and edit the paklist.txt file (there's a sample one in the beta forum; try searching for it)

<> A .cdi file, .img file, .iso file or similar. These are CD images usually designed to be burned for dreamcast use. Thankfully, you can use a nice little proggy called isobuster (use google) to extract from these the relevant files.

You do, however, need winrar in all liklihood, to extract .rar files.

Hi,

Thanks for that. I understand now. The rar files are split files. I see!

So the PAK file will be in there somewhere.

Right, will go and play around with them.

cheers

alex

Back