Palette Troubles

devlkore

^_^
Website
www.sparktasty.net
Hey,
So far I've been using 16bit graphics since I don't have to think about anything, just make graphics, import into .fpg, make game.

Now I want to use 8bit graphics and I'm getting stuck no matter what I try.

Basically, I need to know how to go about making and or/editing palette files and also how to use a specific palette file in Photoshop so when I make my graphics, I can make sure they only use allowed colours (I don't want dithering at the moment).

I managed to download a windows 256 colour palette file but this prevented me from having transparency (which I need).

Just as I was writing this post I though a websafe palette would be ok, since it didn't use 256 colours, thereby leaving me a space for transparency, but now, the background is white instead of black (this doesn't matter, strange though) and everything that is meant to be white (bullets, outlines, etc) are some nasty yellow!

Please, could someone who's done this before post some info. I really don't know where to go with this and I've tried loads of things.

BYEEEEE!!

PS: Sorry for the long post.

If you are using fpg edit 2005 to make your fpgs, you can try this:

Then all you have to do is make a 16 bit fpg and convert it to 8 bit
(fpg -> convertir a -> fpg 8bits) and then change set_mode(320,240,16); to
set_mode(320,240,8) (but I assume you know this :) )

This is what has been working for me until now with Two-Sider and Bouncy Paint, but I`m not really into using palettes and paint programs, so this could be due to the poor graphics I used.

THANK YOU SO MUCH QUIEST!

I can't believe I missed the option to do that, and it worked perfectly!

BTW, did you know that FPG edit can be displayed in english? Go to tools (third option at the top), then click the first option and it will bring up a menu, change the .ini file in the second box to english.

Arg, thanks, I was always pissed, because I can`t read spanish :D

I can`t believe I missed THAT option, lol

You can also put all your files into an 8bit bmp and that will work perfectly as a pallette.

Goity posted on Mar 8 2005 at 08:09 PM said:
You can also put all your files into an 8bit bmp and that will work perfectly as a pallette.

I thought you could, but it doesn't sound like the best way and how does it handle transparency?

If I could or knew how to make a certain colour tranparent in Fenix then I would, but I can't find any documentation to explain how. So I'm gonna have to use the convert method for now.

Are there any IRC channels for GP32 Fenix development? If not, Quiest, do you ever go to #GP32dev?

BYEEEEE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
devlkore posted on Mar 8 2005 at 11:17 PM said:
Goity posted on Mar 8 2005 at 08:09 PM said:

I thought you could, but it doesn't sound like the best way and how does it handle transparency?

If I could or knew how to make a certain colour tranparent in Fenix then I would, but I can't find any documentation to explain how. So I'm gonna have to use the convert method for now.

Are there any IRC channels for GP32 Fenix development? If not, Quiest, do you ever go to #GP32dev?

BYEEEEE!!
black is automatically transparent.

nono, colour zero in the palette is automatically the transparent colour.

Which, in paint, is BLACK ;)

Moogle posted on Mar 9 2005 at 06:37 PM said:

i found that photohop was very poor at pixel editing!

get paintshop pro = does custom palettes

sPaCe :ph34r:

spaceboygp32x posted on Mar 24 2005 at 04:28 PM said:
Moogle posted on Mar 9 2005 at 06:37 PM said:

i found that photohop was very poor at pixel editing!

get paintshop pro = does custom palettes

sPaCe :ph34r:

Palettes FPG Edit can handle, and that becomes really useful.

Back