Panda Mobo + New Case/keyboard/screen = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daffy

I expect the Pandora to be reasonably successful. Reading between the lines, it sounds as though something in the neighborhood of 10,000 units @$350ea will put OP soundly in the black. And I'd be surprised if they don't sell 30,000 (4,000 people bought them just based on the design, for crying out loud!)

Next batch could easily be 10,000 units, I think. We could be looking at successful + a little spare cash within four months.

The complex (expensive!) part of the design was the mobo (despite the case kerfuffle). While it's still a useful part, perhaps it's time to discuss what other device might be made based on the same mobo. I imagine a different case/keyboard and perhaps screen could be arrive at within six months, maybe a year. If that's to happen, design discussion should be happening yesterday.

Not pandora 2.0. Not pandora 1.1. More like Mac mini vs MacBook. Use the same mobo to make different devices.

So in case I'm right, I'll start a discussion. How about something with close to full-size keyboard? Something like this.

nec-mobilepro.jpg

Only if we can get the game controls in there somewhere, that would be sweet as well. And with the extra space, perhaps a GPS + motion sensor daughterboard thing. But not if it holds things up a lot.

Another thought is put a different bottom half on the current unit, with some buttons on the underneath, suitable to use as a chorded keyboard. Useful for game controls anyway, and if you care to do it, you would be able to type full speed on the thing.

Attachments

• nec-mobilepro.jpg
    nec-mobilepro.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 120
I'd forgo the air bag in my steering wheel for something to do while I'm stopped in construction zones.

I expect the Pandora to pave the way for world wide dominance. I would like to see a Pandora model that is capable of controlling every aspect of my truck, including driving itself. When is the OP team going to design that for me? I would post a picture of a concept truck controlled by a Pandora but I couldn't find one posted by anyone else yet. I'll let you know when I do though.

How about the Projectora!

(mad mspaint skills to follow:)

3166823.jpg

- trix

Attachments

• 3166823.jpg
    3166823.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 119
ARGH!!
How about a PANDORA?! :pandora2ut4:

Edit:

I would like a Pandora (complete) but not together.
I intend on (or using a beagleboard) making a motorbike computer (CarPuter/ but for a bike) but I don't want a POS X86.

I have it planned, just not sure of what core to put in. The Pandora is great and already has KB, touch screen and all gear I need.

A Pandora microwave with Ethernet built in would be fantastic. I could make it play guitar riffs when it's done cooking, post on Facebook while making noodles, etc.

I intend on (or using a beagleboard) making a motorbike computer (CarPuter/ but for a bike) but I don't want a POS X86.

I have it planned, just not sure of what core to put in. The Pandora is great and already has KB, touch screen and all gear I need.

Hey Kingoddball, that sounds creative, unique, and really f*cking cool! Any way to see how you progress with your project once things get rolling?

And Trix....damn that sh*t looks phat! ;) Projecdora, lol.

Edit: Oh and Daffy, just to keep on topic (a bit) That would be cool, but I for one am in it for the emulation. Funfactor on oldies is enough for me, along w/wifi (I hope) and practically netbook functionality. But that's just me :) If you could get the gaming controls in there somehow, I might think twice!

On another note, Has cadbury chocolate changed over there since the buyout? (I'm an amuurican)

You know just because you can make it bigger does not mean you can cram a load more chips in it. There are limits to what you can hook up and we are already pushing them.

And what you want is a netbook. There are hundreds of them already available.

evnon said:

Hey Kingoddball, that sounds creative, unique, and really f*cking cool! Any way to see how you progress with your project once things get rolling?

I've never thought of documenting it anywhere.
My main issue at this point is that I want it in two different bikes.
Road Bike - ZX6R
Trail Bike - WR250F (Can't fit anywhere and it needs to be running to have power)

The ZX6R will have an arduino controlled system in it to access the computer.

It will be something in the rear fender (rear seat) which will open out to the size (arduino controlled from front of bike), then on a tray you will have access to LCD, KB and touchpad or something (which I why I want a touchscreen).

It will work well enough and be simple to setup and install, I just don't want to cut up my fairings!!

Last edited by a moderator:
kingoddball said:
things about moto-puter

That sounds like a task for a second hand n800, much cheaper than a Pandora plus you won't be wasting the awesome bits of a Pandora (CPU power, working 3d chip, nubs) and you'll get all the bits you need (two SD card slots, bluetooth, touchscreen, Linux).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back