PanDebian

Gave Pandebian a shot, selected direct install on a clean ext3 formatted card (Honestly, I dont really get the difference between the loopback option and the direct install). The installation failed while it was configuring the base packages. It did the 5 times retry thing and failed.

What now? Should I wipe the SD card? or does Pandebian recognize all of the packages that are already downloaded and starts from there?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, for the time being if it fails during the installation of base packages, it's not easily recoverable. The problem is that debootstrap running on a partially-debootstrapped directory tends to have weird behavior, and determining what state it's in isn't easy. If you make it to /any other step/ beyond that one then Pandebian can recover, but that one's all-or-nothing. You'll have to wipe out the install :(

If you have trouble again and I manage to find some free time, I may look into how to make Pandebian recover from this situation.

I get the following error on both of my SD cards:

Failed to mount /media/ram/PanDebian

Hotfix 5

This was with the loopback file on fat32 formatted cards. I'll try installing directly to ext3 later tonight.

This is great! Installed without a hitch. Thanks!

One question,though: how do you close pandebian? The logout option does not work. It throws a "Failed to execute child process "lxsession-logout" (No such file or directory)"

This was working perfectly, but today when I tried to open PanDebian. I get an "unexpected failure mounting debian" message. The out file says this:

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /media/SD2/pandora/menu//PanDebian.pnd -e launcher.sosume -b PanDebian-PanDebian-26938

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

losetup: could not find any free loop device

usedminor 2

freeminor 3

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

/dev/loop3 on /mnt/pnd/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938 type squashfs (ro)

Filesystem is vfat

Mounting the Union FS using /media/SD2/pandora/appdata/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938 as Write directory:

mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs=/media/SD2/pandora/appdata/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938=rw+nolwh:/mnt/pnd/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938=rr none /mnt/utmp/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938

none on /mnt/utmp/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938 type aufs (rw,si=66da7d37,noplink)

none on /mnt/utmp/PanDebian-PanDebian-26938 type aufs (rw,si=66da7d37,noplink)

[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]

mount: could not find any free loop device

./launcher: line 29: /media/ram/PanDebian/mount.sh: No such file or directory

./launcher: line 30: /media/ram/PanDebian/mount.sh: No such file or directory

./launcher: line 30: exec: /media/ram/PanDebian/mount.sh: cannot execute: No such file or directory

[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]

cleanup done

and I see several error messages but I'm not sure which are important. Any help is appreciated!

This was working perfectly, but today when I tried to open PanDebian. I get an "unexpected failure mounting debian" message. The out file says this:

Disregard this. A reboot fixed it. I'll leave the post up in case anyone else sees the same issue.

I think this problem appears because the lack of free rams; it happens often for me I don't understand (without using pandebian :p ). A reboot cleans the issue

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone figured out how to close pandebian? I can kill from a terminal, of course, but I was wondering if there was a better way? I could write a script to automate the kill steps, I guess. he "logout" button in the PanDebian panel gives a program not found error.

Normally, I wouldn't care because I want to keep it open! But... I find that my Pandora won't shut down if PanDebian is running (it just stays on with a blank screen and I need to then hard reset, login again, and shutdown.

Thanks

Edit: clarity and typos

i had to hard reset while running pandebian and now the icon dosnt show up when i run it? it keeps on happing and i have reinstalled it 5 times and i run into this issue

edit i can chroot to it fine and do things from there its just not as nice :s

or not the libraries are not sharing or im chrooting into the wrong place

I reflashed the Pandora's firmware, and now the Debian on my card won't work. What do I do?

Gregor,

I think I found a small bug. I installed PD directly to an ext3 SD card in a folder called /PanDebianSqueeze1. Using the mount PND to mount my cards throws a PanDebian not found error. I checked your scripts and I believe this is because the PanDebian root directory is not getting mounted. I chased this down in the PanDebian launcher script and I think this is why:

mount -o remount,suid,dev "$CARDDIR"

should be

mount -o remount,suid,dev "$PDROOT"

so the mount PND launcher is looking for debian_version in the wrong place.

for loopbacks this would not be an issue, nor would it be if CARDDIR = PDROOT.

Hope this debugging helps. I can work around it, obviously.

DrKlaw

EDIT1: typo

Install went smoothly, I tried to run Stellarium but it says OpenGL is missing, Is there a OpenGL driver for the GPU or are we stuck with OpenGL ES right now?

When it asked me to install,which version i selected squeeze and it failed to install.

What can i do now.

Towel, 4 pints of bitter, peanuts and a brown paper bag! None will help beyond the thumbs up you just gave, but may help for temporary in forum entertainment. After two months and no response, please resort to the provided microdot suicide pill, printed into your original invoice number. If you have lost your original invoice, please contact Craigix, who will provide you with the equivalent product, or very similar.

What are you on about,yes i've been quiet for 2 months because of my pandora was for repair and now i have it back.

It works fine now,just want help on how to install pandebian because i was told to install it because it will help the problem i have.

I've installed everything and took 6 hours to do but it said var run failed,why did it say that plus i selected sid.

Touchy. I didn't mean to offend at all.

I was merely on about, 'The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and how you have stuck out your thumb for help in the PanDebian thread, which is a world apart from the standard Pandora operating system. The importance of the towel and knowing where it is at all times, is therefore paramount from here on in.

You need to take my post in the context of all the other posts on the previous page (from the 24th of August onwards that is), in that several people have posted for help with Pandebian above and met total silence with their various issues. The overall message from the Hitchhiker's Guide was "DONT PANIC" in large friendly letters (naturally in 'Pink') as its a friendly colour, when your electronic companion in life is failing to make life easier at all and your not even sure if your digital watch is giving the correct time of day.

However, I am glad to hear you got your Pandora back from repair after just 2 months recently though (at a stable probability of 2,800:1 and falling) and I appreciate the need for your solution being found in PanDebian. As I believe your issue, is with acceptable framerates in capturing webcam video, via a logitech purchase, or some such.

Now, my own reference to 2 months, was a bad joke, (and not a reference to yourself being absent from the forum for awhile, or perhaps using a new name that would take the Mystery Mobile, its pet parrot/dog and some pesky meddling forum moderators to expose) in that, if you fail to hear anything from anyone in this thread, like the posters before you after just 1 month (even after an infinitely ample period of time has passed, for an infinite number of monkeys to have re-written the encyclopedia galactica, IPCC documents to be truthful, the wikileaks archive to be useful, the Manhattan project files to ban toothpaste, Magna Carta to be upheld still, all the 'Bills of 'supposed' Rights' and the 'right to protest' for them, to still apply (within a week or so only, with no tents and no pepper spray (which is therefore a taxpayers waste, of a tax payers lack of choice of enforcement options unutilised* and STILL just a 10th of the cost of the Royal Wedding (although Pippas bum did make up for that), as a valid 'petitioning' type deal, somewhere else except outside the houses of treason, or where our masters bade at times)), then and only then, should you 'PERHAPS PANIC' (written in green perhaps, to reserve red for times of actual 'PANIC' and brown* for the consequences).

If you've really had no response here after 2 months and haven't solved the issue yourself by then, then I was offering a bad joke fail safe only.

In that Craigix' previously well referenced "What's your order number?" is a blatant clue, that within the original invoice, is a hidden microdot of a printed suicide pill, for the times when the Hope that Pandora offers (no more, no less) is no longer enough.

If you hadn't realised that, you must be in need of the recuperation forum, or simply from Birmingham! :)

Back