Pandev Linux

Squidge said:
Virtualbox? Never heard of it. It seems like an open-source VMware. Interesting...
Yea, it's the best of the best for open-source, in my humble opinion. :)

Another post, but decided to merge here:

Could someone run..
CODE
md5sum pandev-20081029.iso

...and make sure it says the same as this:...
CODE
3ce3f38298e2c4dd0029b90a3128b2e9 pandev-20081029.iso

Last edited by a moderator:
cb88 said:
dsl + qemu would be SLOW bad idea
not much slower than virtualbox or vmware, not with qemu accelerator at least. (but that is only for linux at the moment, so yes, maybe it is a bad idea, but when I tried dsl-embedded it wasnt that slow.)

Last edited by a moderator:
VirtualBox is pretty damn good. As mentioned above, it DOES lack 3D acceleration in the guest OS (i.e. I can't get hardware 3D in my hosted Ubuntu), but other than that it works a treat.

I (unfortunately) develop software for Windows operating systems, but REALLY like all the tools Linux gives me. It also helps that I can run server code on Linux (I cross-platform as much as possible) while running a client in Windows on the same box :)

All up, once hardware acceleration of 3D becomes available in VirtualBox (which they ARE working on), I'm going to be 100% satisfied with it.

--Ben

virtualbox is considerably faster than qemu near native whereas qemu + kqemu is not anywhere near native and straight qemu is getting rediculous ... and bochs don't even go there...

VirtualBox is near native if you have the specs for it. Only certain Intel processors have the right virtualization extensions (or something like that) to make native speeds happen.

Back