Please Help Me With Linux :(

Cervante

PS3 ID: Cervante1
Website
Visit site
3rd time I tried linux and I run into a ton of trouble, I have knoppix 4.0 live (with a debian installer KDE) when running from live CD everything on my hardware works, when I do the hard-drive installation everything that was working dosent work especially my internet connection. I tried everything that looks similar to windows in order to get it working but no luck.

I tried to reinstallalling linux again hoping it would get fixed but now it dosent boot at all, it says something about GPA or something like that not working.

:blink: Linux is hard but I want to make the jump from windows to linux just to know my way around the operating system.

Cervante posted on Feb 13 2007 at 03:19 PM said:
3rd time I tried linux and I run into a ton of trouble, I have knoppix 4.0 live (with a debian installer KDE) when running from live CD everything on my hardware works, when I do the hardware installation everything that was working dosent work especially my internet connection. I tried everything that looks similar to windows in order to get it working but no luck.

I tried to reinstallalling linux again hoping it would get fixed but now it dosent boot at all, it says something about GPA or something like that not working.

:blink: Linux is hard but I want to make the jump from windows to linux just to know my way around the operating system.
Have you tried installing Ubuntu from an Ubuntu live CD? If you like KDE try Kubuntu.

I have never had any problems with it detecting my hardware (even TV cards), and it is recommended for beginners to Linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are new to linux, which it would seem you are by your own admission, then i would suggest you give 1 of these 2 distributions a try:

Ubuntu @ http://www.ubuntu.com/

Mepis @ http://www.mepis.org/

Personally id suggest you go with mepis as ubuntu although being perfect for a beginner system, doesnt play most media out of the box. Like you wont be able to play MP3 without installing extra codecs and things, and as a new user i dont think you'd want that extra hassle untill you're comfortable with the system. There are plenty of tutorials on how to add extra media support into Ubuntu so the choice is yours.

But keep at it, its nice to see people wanting to leave windows behind and try something new :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention theyre both also Debian based distributions, which i would recommend sticking with, Debian and its spin offs are typically great B)

I always recommend Puppy Linux for Linux newbies (and for advanced users that want real speed)
Very easy install from cd, all settings and downloaded packages are automaticly saved on harddisk if you want.

There is no faster distro than this one, and is very compatible with new and old hardware.
But don't take my word for it...

http://www.puppylinux.com

And if you love this community, I'm sure you gonna love this very active community as well.
Puppy linux forum

Download the iso here: ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions...fulldrivers.iso

The only thing you can lose is a cd, highly recommended :)

:huh: hhmm wich one has a better installation method? I have no problem following an FAQ guide using the shell to install things but after I install something I dont know where it went, how to access or wheres the launcher to start the program installed.

Also wich one has an easy disk partitioner? The Text-mode & Eq-Part provided by Red-hat and Knoppix is confusing.

If you have a friend who uses Linux, use his/her distribution. Nothing beats hands on help.

Welcome to the wonderful world of standardised Linux <_< :rolleyes:

Knoppix is upto v5 now and may install better, but I don't know for sure.

All I can say is there are lots of live CD versions around and you should try as many of these as you can for as long as you can before choosing one to install.

Have a good look through the settings and stuff so you have a feel for how they work.
If you don't like one - try another! ;)
(You might also try this to solve your current problems: boot from the liveCD, check their settings, try them on your system)

Also have a look around at packages that you might want to use and make sure that there is a build/install for your version

Personally, I'm holding out for a useable AROS install :D

Cervante posted on Feb 13 2007 at 08:53 PM said:
:huh: hhmm wich one has a better installation method? I have no problem following an FAQ guide using the shell to install things but after I install something I dont know where it went, how to access or wheres the launcher to start the program installed.

Also wich one has an easy disk partitioner? The Text-mode & Eq-Part provided by Red-hat and Knoppix is confusing.

All major distros are easy to install. If you have not so easy to detect hardware, hardware recognizion is the most important part during installation and I think OpenSuse is the best in that area. I haven't tried OpenSuse for a while, but I know the last time I tried it they had a more intuitive partitioner than Ubuntu.
If you really are willing to put some time in this and want to install Linux on your harddisk next to Windows, than OpenSuse is probably the easiest distro.

IMHO the best way to learn Linux is with live distro's. OpenSuse has got a live DVD that should keep you busy for a while.

Try them all and decide what you like best :)

BTW Did I already mention Puppy Linux? ;)

Try Slax Kill Bill Edition. It comes with all the required files to run lots of windows software and hardware. You can either run it off the disk or install it to your hd.

Edit: forgot the link ---> http://www.slax.org/download.php

I run Ubuntu on my desktop, and it's pretty easy. I've got BFX 2006.2 on an old Compaq PII 366Mhz laptop that my wife uses, and it's good, too. I've been interested in Puppy Linux for older hardware. Some of the small form-factor machines it runs on look neat. If I come across another free/cheap, old laptop I plan on trying it.

Ubuntu live install disc has Gparted, a good partition manager. Or if you don't want to go with Ubuntu you could just partition it with the QtParted on Knoppix live discs.

There's also a 'gparted livecd', which I keep a copy of around because it's so dang useful.

Mudi posted on Feb 14 2007 at 06:15 AM said:
There's also a 'gparted livecd' at which I keep a copy of around because it's so dang useful.

The live cd is fantastic!
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

The live cd version is always the latest version, so really up-to-date. Also suited for Windows users as a replacement for Partition Magic.

Back