I've been trying to switch to Linux...

Blue Protoman

So I use Windows XP. Sick of it, wanna switch to a distro of Linux. Tried Ubuntu via a flash drive (and it booted off the drive successfully), but it didn't have any drivers compatible with my wi-fi hardware. Linux Mint (also off my flash drive) did, so I went with that. Problem? I clicked Install, and the installer freezes. I can close it just fine, but nothing happens. Tried to install Debian, but that installer froze, too. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron Mini.

Oh, and another thing; for the past few months or so, every time I turn on my laptop it tells me that a hard drive failure is imminent, and that I should replace it as soon as possible. To be safe, I've backed up my important stuff. But nothing out of the ordinary has happened. At all. (Though when I tried Ubuntu, it did report an issue with the hard drive.) Ubuntu I installed onto my flash drive with its own installer. Linux Mint and Debian I tried with UNetBootin. Also, I have tried several times to burn their ISOs to disc, but with no luck; my PC doesn't detect a bootable CD.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like there is something wrong with there drive and the installer can'tt write to the disk

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

Try Googling both the name and model number of the machine you're trying to install to, along with "Ubuntu" as a search term - if there are any gotchas to be aware of when installing to that hardware, you'll be likely to find them this way.

That said, you might want to look into the apparent hard drive problem first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sick of it, wanna switch to a distro of Linux. Tried Ubuntu via a flash drive (and it booted off the drive successfully), but it didn't have any drivers compatible with my wi-fi hardware.
As a GNU/Linux user you have to be a bit more careful with buying hardware than you are used to until now.

Unfortunately, most hardware comes with windows-only drivers, so google for open source drivers before purchasing anything.

I know that will not help you with your current hardware setup, but it is something to take into account for future purchases.

doesnt ubuntu install proprietary drivers by itself? i know my wifi and gfx didnt have open source drivers, and ubuntu took take of it no problem, just go to system > administration > additional drivers

Sick of it, wanna switch to a distro of Linux. Tried Ubuntu via a flash drive (and it booted off the drive successfully), but it didn't have any drivers compatible with my wi-fi hardware.
As a GNU/Linux user you have to be a bit more careful with buying hardware than you are used to until now.

Unfortunately, most hardware comes with windows-only drivers, so google for open source drivers before purchasing anything.

I know that will not help you with your current hardware setup, but it is something to take into account for future purchases.
Just a thought, here, and I may be misremembering, but wasn't the machine in question originally shipped with Ubuntu as an option? Or has that hardware been revised since then? (I don't really keep up with this type of hardware, admittedly.)

You know how to order your boot sequence in your BIOS right?

I also had some probs with wifi hardware being proprietary, but I just hardwire everything to my desktop. I know wifi can be easier, but you have to man up and get the wires run sometimes.

try puppy linux on a thumbdrive, it has worked with all of my hardware except my dad's Mac.

Just a thought, here, and I may be misremembering, but wasn't the machine in question originally shipped with Ubuntu as an option? Or has that hardware been revised since then? (I don't really keep up with this type of hardware, admittedly.)

Yes. I picked Windows XP at the time, though. Also, I checked, Ubuntu doesn't have the right Wi-Fi drivers for my laptop, but Linux Mint does. Therefore, I'm going with Mint.

You know how to order your boot sequence in your BIOS right?
Yep. Did so and successfully ran two distros off my flash drive.

Good thing I have my Pandora to keep me busy, or else I'd be reluctant to send my laptop in. Damned shame that it's not under warranty anymore. Double irony!

You bought a laptop when you have a Pandora? I would have gone with a desktop, More bang for my buck. FEEL DA POWA!

Actually, I've had this laptop since well before I had my Pandora; got my laptop October 2009.

I also recently tried Ubuntu. When I RMA'd my panda I thought I'd try to learn a little about linux and have something to help kill time while I waited. Decided to dual boot XP/Ubuntu. Had a hell of a time making it through the install, kept freezing up. Finally got it on and had a lot of trouble with drivers. Read about Ubuntu Ultimate which people were saying had much more driver support. Installed that right off the bat with no issues. Ran into the same problem with drivers, though it did fix a couple of things. Lurked around in those forums for a bit and it just seemed like it was going to be a lot of work just to get all my hardware working correctly.

But that's just me. I am feeling a little old and tired these days. But you are still young, Blue Protoman. There is still hope for you! For now I will stick with my XP Pro. It's not all that bad. My version is very stripped down and streamlined. Maybe after getting my feet wet with the pandora for a while I will warm up to playing with it some more.

That's too bad :( I really like Ubuntu, and on the machines I have installed it on its been great. The only box I've had a problem with is the one at my dad's house. The new version of Ubuntu doesn't seem to like his video card :angry: . My live USB of puppy Linux worked great though, which I found odd considering that Ubuntu has had so much money pumped into it:/ .

My mother, who is totally not tech savvy, loves her Ubuntu box. I love it because I don't have to fix it! My visits are composed of making a new printer work, or adding some program via WINE. I even just helped her buy a new box and made it a dual boot so she can still use software like Quickbooks.

Jumping straight to linux is a bad idea if are already are a Windows users, it would be a good idea if you never used Windows before. You should not do a full switch, but keep Windows, but dualboot Linux and get used to the linux environment first.

Whatever OS you're using, the main thing are applications. Find cross platform applications that works on linux, but use them on Windows first. Once you are used to them, they work the same way on linux and the transition should be much easier. Some of my recommendations are: Bleachbit (like CCleaner), Clementine (audio player), Chromium, Firefox, LibreOffice, VLC

I have very little trouble getting Ubuntu to work with any x86 computer I've ever used of the current era, although when encountering some unsupported hardwares required some googling. Ubuntu doesn't come with proprietary wifi driver. You have to first connect your laptop to an ethernet cable to your modem/router. Then use "Additional Drivers" in the setting menu for it to search and install proprietary drivers for your wifi and video card. Worse case scenario, you might have to use NDISWrapper or buy an external usb wifi from Realtek (they have very good linux support).

Contrary to belief, out of the box Linux is very compatible with hardware. However if you buy printers, you will have to look for one that support linux such as from HP otherwise you might only be able to use basic functions using open source drivers. If you want webcam support you should use Kopete instant messenger. It support the my friend's Logitech C510 webcam without installing anything.

Unlike Ubuntu, Linux Mint and VLC player are distributed from France and the laws allow them to include proprietary drivers and codecs.

Jumping straight to linux is a bad idea if are already are a Windows users, it would be a good idea if you never used Windows before. You should not do a full switch, but keep Windows, but dualboot Linux and get used to the linux environment first.
Not possible; my laptop's SSD is very small, only 16GB. It's all or nothing.

Whatever OS you're using, the main thing are applications. Find cross platform applications that works on linux, but use them on Windows first. Once you are used to them, they work the same way on linux and the transition should be much easier. Some of my recommendations are: Bleachbit (like CCleaner), Clementine (audio player), Chromium, Firefox, LibreOffice, VLC
Eh, I'll get used to it.

I have very little trouble getting Ubuntu to work with any x86 computer I've ever used of the current era, although when encountering some unsupported hardwares required some googling. Ubuntu doesn't come with proprietary wifi driver. You have to first connect your laptop to an ethernet cable to your modem/router. Then use "Additional Drivers" in the setting menu for it to search and install proprietary drivers for your wifi and video card. Worse case scenario, you might have to use NDISWrapper or buy an external usb wifi from Realtek (they have very good linux support).
Didn't think to do that with Ubuntu, but did so successfully with Mint.

Contrary to belief, out of the box Linux is very compatible with hardware. However if you buy printers, you will have to look for one that support linux such as from HP otherwise you might only be able to use basic functions using open source drivers. If you want webcam support you should use Kopete instant messenger. It support the my friend's Logitech C510 webcam without installing anything.

My laptop has a built-in webcam...that I never use. As for printers, my mom uses her printer/scanner/copier pretty often.

Use Gentoo. The installer won't freeze, because there isn't one :p

Well, if you run

Code:
emerge --update --deep world
you can get back to looking for them. Good luck.

I'd recommend against using Gentoo for a first user :p

Gentoo is great if you want to get a slim system that takes everything out of the hardware .. but it's really for power-users (that have a lot of patience when they want to upgrade to the latest software ..)

Just go with the latest debian stable (squeeze) and add the non-free repositories so you can get that extra firmware/drivers.

Back