pandian - 01

fwiw

I'm running debian armhf generated via the debootstrap method.  Not sure how different this is from pandian.  But I have copied the /usr/pandora/scripts stuff from the standard pandora os.  /usr/pandora/scripts/op_usbhost.sh works without modification to get my usb ethernet working.

Something about the next release:

I'am working on the open points which are mentioned here, and which i also found out ( for example USB-Networking is a little bit tricky, you need to disable the network-manager, because the mac-address of usb0 is changed on every reboot, so the network-manager thinks all the time its a new interface and creates a new connection ) mainly i try to use debian-sid ( unstable ) for the next release.
You can stabilise the mac address of USB-Networking.

Once you load g_cdc the first time,  it will select a random host address and a random device address.

You can grab them from dmesg:

op-vizzini:~$ dmesg |grep usb0
[   15.578552] usb0: MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
[   15.578582] usb0: HOST MAC YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

If you then add a .conf file to /etc/modprobe.d/ containing the line:

options g_cdc dev_addr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX host_addr=YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

substituting the existing random addresses for XX and YY  it should use those addresses permanently.

If you prefer the g_ether module it uses the same parameters

HTH

- Neelix

fwiw

I'm running debian armhf generated via the debootstrap method.  Not sure how different this is from pandian.  But I have copied the /usr/pandora/scripts stuff from the standard pandora os.  /usr/pandora/scripts/op_usbhost.sh works without modification to get my usb ethernet working.
Its not sooo different from pandian. Only some first steps to set an debian-version for pandora to the wild. Of course there is some work in it ( like the scripts and some automatic things ).

You can stabilise the mac address of USB-Networking.

Once you load g_cdc the first time,  it will select a random host address and a random device address.

You can grab them from dmesg:

op-vizzini:~$ dmesg |grep usb0
[   15.578552] usb0: MAC XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
[   15.578582] usb0: HOST MAC YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
If you then add a .conf file to /etc/modprobe.d/ containing the line:

options g_cdc dev_addr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX host_addr=YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY

substituting the existing random addresses for XX and YY  it should use those addresses permanently.

If you prefer the g_ether module it uses the same parameters

HTH

- Neelix
Cool, thanks ! That makes some things easier.

Is there a difference between the module g_ether and g_cdc ? ( performance or something? )

Not sure...    g_ether seems to be specifically usb-ethernet,  while g_cdc calls itself a 'composite device' whatever that means.  

I suspect it may possibly mean that g_ether won't act as a USB host driver for the OTG port, but that's pure speculation on my part.  I have had a hard time finding any useful documentation on any of the gadget drivers. 

I did find some reference on the beagleboard boards to a bug in g_cdc  though that g_ether doesn't seem to have that causes it to mark the usb0 device as being up before it is configurable,  causing the failure of some network configuration scripts.

I have no idea if that issue has since been resolved.

- Neelix

pandian continues to be my mobile OS here.  I missed having the menu button supported, so this weekend I hunted down what was missing.

You have to: mkdir ~/.config/openbox

and then: cp /etc/xdg/openbox/*.xml ~/.config/openbox/

Then edit ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml and go down to <keyboard> and add lines right after

the <keyboard> section starts so it looks like:

<keyboard>
  <!-- Pandora keybindings start -->
  <!-- Keybinding for root menu (Pandora button) -->
  <keybind key="XF86MenuKB">
    <action name="execute">
      <command>lxpanelctl menu</command>
    </action>
  </keybind>
  <keybind key="C-XF86MenuKB">
    <action name="ShowMenu">
      <menu>root-menu</menu>
    </action>
  </keybind>
  <keybind key="S-XF86MenuKB">
    <action name="ShowMenu">
      <menu>client-list-combined-menu</menu>
    </action>
  </keybind>

Then: openbox --reconfigure

and you'll have the Pandora menu button bring up the start menu, and shift/control of it bring

up the appropriate WM menus.

hi all, i managed to compile rtl-sdr and rtlizer:

http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr

https://github.com/csete/rtlizer

under pandian.. but i'm stuck on getting the USB dongles to load:

had ran:

modprobe g_ether

installed usbutils

and this is what i can see:

[ 180.085083] usb0: MAC a2:3c:XXXX:XXXX
[ 180.085327] usb0: HOST MAC ae:da:XXXX:XXXX
[ 180.086273] gadget: Ethernet Gadget, version: Memorial Day 2008
[ 180.086425] gadget: g_ether ready
[ 180.095855] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: MUSB HDRC host driver
[ 180.096160] musb-hdrc musb-hdrc: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[ 180.096496] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[ 180.096649] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[ 180.096862] usb usb1: Product: MUSB HDRC host driver
[ 180.097076] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 3.2.45 musb-hcd
[ 180.097198] usb usb1: SerialNumber: musb-hdrc
[ 180.110778] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[ 180.111053] hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected

and

root@pandian:~/rtl-sdr/build# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@pandian:~/rtl-sdr/build# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev= 3.02
S: Manufacturer=Linux 3.2.45 musb-hcd
S: Product=MUSB HDRC host driver
S: SerialNumber=musb-hdrc
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 4 Ivl=256ms

Do you think is possible to get the dongles to load under pandian? what could i be missing?

TIA

I think you're loading the wrong driver.   g_ether is a module to emulate an ethernet connection via a USB cable connected between the mini-usb port on the back of the pandora, and a USB port on the other machine.  If you want to get an actual ethernet connection working via a USB dongle, you'll need to load the relevant driver module.

- Neelix

well, indeed g_ether is for ethernet... i just said what i had done.. not sure what the module for having my USB devices appearing should be cause i think not even a mouse connected on that port is being registered or controlled.

If you are using the regular USB port on the back of the pandora the module you need to load to enable the USB port is ehci_hcd.

Also be aware that the port only supports "high speed" devices.   If you use a low speed or full speed USB device with it without a high speed (USB 2.0) hub it will crash the port and you will need to reboot before it is usable again.

- Neelix

uhmm one other thing, anyone knows what is there to activate to get the video out signal working?

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, any ideas on touchscreen alignment?  I had to go figure out my parameters reading old X windows documentation, and then putting the values into

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf.  My own device works pretty well with:

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier      "calibration"
        MatchProduct    "touchscreen"
        Option  "Calibration"   "3919 116 3836 202"
EndSection

But YMMV (actually, probably *will* vary).

well, at the beginning ive hack a little bit around with xinput-calibrator, in the past it was needed to make some dirty hacks on it to get it working, but last time i checked it works out of the box

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xinput_calibrator/

hope it will helps you. In the next-release there is an debian package for it. Actually i put everything together

Made a wiki page Pandian Have a look.

All info from the other wiki and the firstpost implemented. None of the fixes are documented, awaiting next release.
Thanks, i will join the wiki and keep it up to date :)

So well, ive get an working pandian-unstable ( based on debian sid ) but there are some tricky stuff.

Actually i working on the keymap for console. Maybe somebody have an working keymap file for the pandora out there ?
Okay, already finished ;) It was easier than I thought. I've just compare my linux keyboard to the keys on the pandora and setup the keymap-file. Some keys are not working yet ( Pound, and this symbol on the 'L' )

Next is to get brighter and dark working :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work this Pandian distro !!

I choosed this because the image is so small that my (crap) internet connection could easily download...in 3-4 hour :(

I just installed on a 32GB SD card using Win32DiskImager (i have used my old Win XP PC for this) and all went good

I have only some drawbacks:

the language installed is only German.

the tiny icons on the window border (to close, minimize etc) are very difficult to press and also i don't know how to move window when they are too big for the screen (the XFCE method used on Pandora (L button+scroll with stylus) don't seems to work)

I have tryed this because i want to build a LAMP server directly on Pandora (i want to create websites with joomla and PHP locally on Pandora).

So to enable another language:

Open a root terminal (not the normal one) and type   dpkg-reconfigure locales

and added my language (italian) so confirm and exit the terminal and reboot the Pandian distro.

Next i done update with     apt-get update

and next installed aptitude

and then tried to follow this guide to build the LAMP server.. https://wiki.debian.org/LaMp

but when i install mysql-server package (only the server as the client goes ok) it says that is impossible to configure....(i need to check the exact error..but its too late now)

Tomorrow i'll retry to finish the installation...

Thanks for building this Distro for Pandora :)   and hope to see the new version soon

Ok now i know what i have done wrong.

Initially i forgot to resize partitions, so in the end there are no more space to configure the MySQL server.

Rebooted my pandora (with Angstrom) and with the help of GParted i have done the resizes as described on the wiki.

And all went good...now i have a working MySQL server. ;)

Back