Pandora 3d Model

'pelrun' said:
Maybe put the USB plug on a hinge, then you plug the Pandora in and swing it down to lock in place?
I also like this idea.
If there was something like a wedge clip where you can push the Pandora into place and then you have to push the clip out to remove it, that might be good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lulzfish thats the idea to put the usb on a hinge and then make it close up.That would be the perfect way to do it but you guys got to also remember that the more we add the more it cost just with the usb hinge i can already see it doubling in price.Ill try to put up a model with a usb hinge later tonight.Ill try to find a usb hinge that's already premade and try to fit on the docking station.I am using solidworks as my 3d modeler.

'trats20050' said:
Lulzfish thats the idea to put the usb on a hinge and then make it close up.That would be the perfect way to do it but you guys got to also remember that the more we add the more it cost just with the usb hinge i can already see it doubling in price.Ill try to put up a model with a usb hinge later tonight.Ill try to find a usb hinge that's already premade and try to fit on the docking station.I am using solidworks as my 3d modeler.
Solidworks! Cool, I'm using ProE. I wanted Solidworks but my company deals in ProE unfortunately. Tried to get them to change over but there are 6 of us using it and they're not willing to re-train. Pah!

Marko what kind of work do you guys do?If you know how to use any 3d modeling program you can easily change to another one no need for alot of training.

The docking station with a usb swibel adapter i designed like that because is easier to make.Please tell me what you guys think.

pandoradockingstationwithusbswibel.jpg

pandoradockingstationwithusbswibel2.jpg

Looks good aside from the z-fighting that I'm sure you're already planning to fix.
If you have that and a way to hold the front down and keep it moving, it should be fine.

'trats20050' said:
what do you mean z-fighting ?
dragonball-z-old-version.jpg

:rolleyes:

Seriously though I like all the ideas so far, especially the USB hinge thing! This all makes me want to make my own docking station, though it wouldn't be as good as yours.

You have the USB port intersecting the hinge material. Since they are the same distance from the camera, the 3D engine can't quite decide which is supposed to be on top of which, and the result is the graphical artifact you can see on the back of your USB port.

Nice, but don't just have the usb on a hinge - make the hinge piece extend across the back of the Pandora and include the power jack. Not only will it improve the strength of the piece, it'll connect both USB and power with one action. I'd be tempted to include the ext jack as well, to be honest, although you'd have fun trying to get a hold of the connector...

'pelrun' said:
Nice, but don't just have the usb on a hinge - make the hinge piece extend across the back of the Pandora and include the power jack. Not only will it improve the strength of the piece, it'll connect both USB and power with one action. I'd be tempted to include the ext jack as well, to be honest, although you'd have fun trying to get a hold of the connector...
i...believe ed said he'd sell the ext connector after the pandora ships?
think i remember him or another of the devs saying something like that
and dude i'm lovin this dock. I may need to pick one up if you go through with it

I agree. I would like to see all of the connectors engaged when the P is docked. As others have said, it they provide the mechanical drawings, it is pretty straightforward. Otherwise it is trial and error.

'pelrun' said:
Ok ill try this.Does anybody know where i can get the specs for the power jack and the charger.Ill put up the new model in a few hours.lulzfish that's not where the connector is going to end up i still have to bring it inside a little bit i left it like that so you can see what it looks like ill put up the new model with this part where is suppose to be.Actually it takes a lot more work to try to put the connector in its right place i didn't have the time yesterday, in solidworks its not like you can drag the part to its place you have to use a feature call mates and its time consuming.

The power jack is a standard DC barrel, 4.0mm OD 1.7mm ID.

The ext connector is detailed here (including model data!):
CODE
http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connect?S=24100&M=PPROP&P=&BML=10000-M&LG=1&PG=1&IDS=321950,321232,372004,372007,382493,321233,442539,437007&N=7

Tell me what you guys think?Thanks pelrun for the info.Earlier i asked what kind of plastic material the Pandora is going to be i have no idea why they close it.I think is a simple question i did a search but i found nothing.

pandoradockingstationwithusbswib-2.jpg

pandoradockingstationwithusbswibela.jpg

pandoradockingstationwithusbswib-1.jpg

trats20050: Maybe I just can't read properly and miss some information why is footprint of docking so oddly shaped. Can you explain it a bit please?

The notches on 3 sides of the docking station are clearance for the stylus and two shoulder buttons.

The empty space is either due to how he's manufacturing it, or he's planning to put some components in there.

Hi,i have spent the last few days looking for all the parts that i am going to use inside docking station wow it takes a lot of work looking for all the specs of every part like size and components placement inside the devices.I had to draw every part in solidworks now i have to place them all together in the docking station to create the assembly,then i have to place all the wires to connect everything(the wire assembly looks really cool in solidworks).I was going to use the huawei e220 modem but its too big for the docking station i had the part ready in solidworks but its just too big,so i went with the huawei e160.This two modems are already supported in Pandora.I should have a completed assembly of the docking station with all the parts in solidworks in the next few days.

Ill do a post later on all the electrical including the battery,charger,hub,and devices(gps,3g modem,flash drive,and just for fun a accelerometer [there's no accelerometer working for the Pandora right now but i am pretty sure once the Pandora comes out there will be a few.For now just to include it in the assembly i am drawing the pcb with a dimension of 20x15x7or8mm the 7 or 8 is just the height of the accelerometer ic the rest 1 or 2 mm.But it has to be a usb accelerometer.])There's other smaller parts that the battery and charger need but ill give more info on this later.

Below a picture of the huawei e220 thats not going in the Pandora no more,maybe if i find a smaller gps that supports linux.Anybody?

Also this is the link where i got some of the specs
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/bl...tive_or_pdf=pdf

assem3.jpg

assem31.jpg

Back