Pandora As 3g Skype Phone

I have to say that I've always found the PIM software on CE to be diabolical... don't know about the GPS software though I know it can't be all bad as TomTom etc is available for it... but it looks as though there is some decent GPS navigation software emerging on Linux too...

CE has been used as a portable / embedded OS for a long time, and consequently there is a lot of software out there for CE that you might want on a handheld

This is slightly erroneous because:

1) CE is not completely backwards compatible
2) Much of the software written for CE has actually been written for PocketPC or Windows Mobile... these have A LOT of extra libraries and APIs on top of CE which render an awful lot of software written for them incompatible with vanilla CE... this was a problem on devices such as the psion netbook pro, which just ran straight CE 4 and thus couldnt run many applications written for PocketPC. Perhaps a solution was found here but I have never heard of one (theoretically you might be able to find compatible binary versions of those libraries)

On the other hand, a functional ARM-WINE implementation could be very handy, and could possibly overcome the PocketPC/Windows Mobile issues I mentioned above. I am no expert but I believe this is a long way off. Also, historically, not all CE devices have been ARM based so this wouldn't work for all software (and youd have this problem running CE natively too). I must admit though that the majority of CE devices are ARM based, especially in the last few years.

Personally, as a long term Psion fan (i.e. I've seen and used something far, far better) I find the user interface of CE, even after the latest release which I have to say is somewhat improved, to be appallingly badly designed. But as you say, that is a personal preference. And I also think the same about most embedded Linux UIs (though they are generally better than the CE one). Meh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back