Pandora As Nds Server

Series-8

So the Pandora, having approx. 10 (100?) time the computing power and capability of a NDS - has few if any peers in handheld consoles.

(PSP ? Whats that? Seriously I don't even see these in the wild anymore...)

Yet everyone else, being stuck with the outmoded and underpowered NDS can't get in on the Awesomeness that is PANDORA.

But wait: Perhaps there IS a way!

What if a Pandora could act as a Host NDS server, where a specially ported game client could be sent wirelessly to a NDS device.

The NDS system would then download this game and connect to the Pandora as a client.

The game itself would need to be small/simple enough that the NDS can play it still (no Quake 3... although DOOM may not be impossible...)

LieroX
XScorch
Doom, ect...

Thoughts?

The homebrew scene of the DS is pretty lively. If we could get some coders who know their way around Devkit Pro, the homebrew scene of the NDS (original and lite) could possibly get some interaction with Pandora. I doubt that Nintendo's built-in single cart multiplayer could be cracked easily though...

A quick Google search on your behalf reveals: There is a DS VNC client. Could work?

SomeGuy99 said:
A quick Google search on your behalf reveals: There is a DS VNC client. Could work?

Ugh, no. I'm afraid to say that the wifi on the DS is a train wreck. It's too slow, and the CPU is really weak as well. Maybe on the 3DS if it ever gets a homebrew scene.

I had a DS and used it for homebrew; that's how I found the Pandora. I know from experience that the VNC client is unusable locally, and you can forget it over the Internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
the+end.jpg

I think there's potential here.... Just not with VNC. A homebrew-enabled DS would have little trouble linking with a Pandora, if and only if you had a coder or group of coder who worked on both platforms.

The games would have to be relatively simple for the homebrew wifi libs on the DS to handle it. Your best chanve of seeing this happen is to do it yourself, I'm afraid. (There also aren't a very large percentage of NDS users who have R4/M3/Cyclo carts, so unless the Factory Multiplayer is cracked, it wouldn't be very worthwhile.)

I could see, maybe, the few homebrews on the DS that have wireless multiplayer being ported to the Pandora and get something worked out. That's probably the best bet for any DS to Pandora interaction.

Guys, I think he's talking about writing a DS Download game that interfaces with a game on the Pandora. It's doable, with a lot of work (and Pandora wifi hacking).

Indeed this is using the Pandora in the same fashion as some DS games that can broadcast a compact version to other NDS clients.

Its quite unclear if there is the needed knowledge/software for the Server part.

I read about something about a PC hosting DS demos... so this MAY be possible... cant remember where I read it, somewhere on the internet. It has been a while. I guess if you trick the DS into thinking the Pandora is another DS... or get some homebrew application to...

This would be a good way to show off your new pandora to friends who have a DS.

WHOO this is my first post :D

Ok, first: the entire DS homebrew scene have flashcarts. End of story.

Second: if you are interested in the DS homebrew scene, do not buy an R4. The original company has actually folded and there is not a single legitimate, original R4 on the market. If it says "R4" it's a clone or a fake. So, get an AceKard 2i, a cycloDS (if you can afford it and have either a phat or a lite), a Supercard TWOi or an E-Z Flash Vi. Purcase them off of Shoptemp or PriceAngels (for more stores, visit the individual manufacturer's website).

Third: the DS's wifi is slow because it only supports 802.11B, not the usual G. Also the DS does not support encryption above WEP. But one thing to keep in mind is that the DSi has not (and may never be) fully cracked, so flashcarts run in "DS mode" and so cannot access the additional features it has. So no upgraded wifi, no slightly-more powerful processor and no additional RAM. Also, often WiFi-enabled homebrew cannot be used at all on the DSi due to their different-from-DS libraries

Forth: Loading a game over single-card play may be EXTREMELY difficult, as this is something which has only ever been accomplished with actual game backups (and even then it might not always work), not homebrew. But (as I said earlier) pretty much the entire DS community uses flashcarts, whether to pirate games or run homebrew (or watch movies or listen to music or read or emulate NES/SNES/NeoGeo/X86/SCUMMVM...). So a .NDS binary might be the best method here.

Fifth: Very few DS homebrew games have multiplayer, unfortunately. It's a very difficult thing to do, and then very few people ever meet up to play. With multiplayer, there's usually just full, online matches that are organized within a particular community of commercial games.

Sixth: If anyone is interested in testing any DS-Side code, use Desmume AND iDeaS. The former is a little bit (as Exo put it) slow and poorly optimized, while the latter is excellent with testing homebrew. Also, DesMume is slated to be the first DS emulator to support multiplayer at all, so that's your best bet for a nice testing environment (short of an actual DS, anyway).

This will be AWESOME if it works out. Please don't let this become so much hot air.

Back