Pandora As Wifi Remote Audio Device?

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Website
Visit site
Hello I am new on the forum and getting more and more interested in the pandora (as most readers are I think :p )

What I was contemplating is: since I always wanted to buy a squeezbox in order to play music from my external network drive. Looking into the squeezebox it seems is has to run serverside software and the thing was I wanted to listen without having to have a computer on.

Now the squeezebox thing is semi out of the window and pandora comes flying in. Would it be possible to run a foobar like audio program on the pandora and play music directly of my external network drive using wifi. And would I be able to use a bluetooth remote or maybe even my mobile phone as a remote control. This I could then hookup to my stereo set. I am willing to put time and effort in this and it would be an extra incentive to buy a pandora.

So now for your input is something like this even remotely feasible or would I run into tremendous problems?

(I am pretty n00bish especially when it comes to linux, so I will need all the help I can get ;) )

:ph34r:

Yes, quite possible.

There are a lot of good audio players and many of them can play streams. If you don't like streaming, you can mount network samba shares or similar as local filesystems so that anything can play them.

Bluetooth remotes work in principle, but the audio player may need support for them. I don't know about cellphones, there were some projects about that, but I don't know if any were usable on linux.

Well the remote isn't the main part, would be nice though. So basically there has to be a port of a good mp3 player to pandora, and I have to modify it so that it is usable in the way I want.

Does the external drive have to have special properties, because I am using it now for windows application and have it set up as a ftp server. Is it possible to access it from a linux computer as well.

(like I said me = n00b)

You wouldn't really have to modify it. A plugin for the bluetooth remote, but not more.

Smb, ftp, ssh, pretty much anything can be mounted in linux to behave as a local drive. It shows up as files for the player.

Nice this would mean I have handheld emulater console and a wireless dac in one. Sweet.

:) +10 for the pandora

(and I'd probably increase my computer skills by learning linux etc. )

The squeezebox server software is open source, so it shouldn't be that tricky to update it to stream to a pandora (assuming it even needs any changes, if we're using an existing player that can handle the streams)

Well I was hoping I wouldnt have to stream like I said in the OP I'd like to access the files directly from the HD. The pandora is hopefully computer enough to be able to fetch the files and play them. In that sense it is more than a squeezebox, although the squeezebox adds more from an audiophile standpoint.

But if that doesnt work it might be usefull to modify slimserver and a virtual squeezebox. And thus create a squeezebox like device.

(option option possibilities possibilities now I only need a few extra hours in a day)

sindbad said:
You wouldn't really have to modify it. A plugin for the bluetooth remote, but not more.

Smb, ftp, ssh, pretty much anything can be mounted in linux to behave as a local drive. It shows up as files for the player.
I just found out my LAN HD also supports SMB so with ftp and smb its pretty sure I will be able to use it with pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
Back