Pandora At Maxconsole

Maurik said:
I just want to say one thing to the guys hating on maxconsole, and the PSP. They have some of the best devs and hackers in that scene, and if pandora ever gets as many devs supporting it as the PSP has (or modders as the eee pc), then you'll be very lucky!
The PSP scene does have many talented programmers. The problem is that the signal to noise ratio on sites like maxconsole is so low as to make it unbearable. Having a negative opinion of a potential product is one thing, but the overwhelming majority of comments were either of the "Pandor suxx0rz! PSP FTW!!!11!!" variety, or contained blatant misconceptions that indicated the poster never even read the spec sheet, let alone the FAQ or anything on these forums. There were one or two legitimate posts detailing potential shortcomings of the system, but like I said: very low signal to noise ratio.

That's not to say there aren't some people on these forums that could stand to grow up a bit, but we try to keep the general asshattery to a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maurik said:
Hmmm.

I been looking at this forum every day since that post on maxconsole.

I'm impressed with the proposed specs for pandora, but I have my reservations on whether it will come out the said dates. Nonetheless I'll buy one if it comes out.

I just want to say one thing to the guys hating on maxconsole, and the PSP. They have some of the best devs and hackers in that scene, and if pandora ever gets as many devs supporting it as the PSP has (or modders as the eee pc), then you'll be very lucky!
We've got Exophase on board now. :ph34r:

PSP resolution inside the Pandora resolution
pandoravspspns4.png

Maurik said:
They have some of the best devs and hackers in that scene, and if pandora ever gets as many devs supporting it as the PSP has (or modders as the eee pc), then you'll be very lucky!
I think we do pretty well in the GP2X world for developer numbers :D.

The way I see it Pandora is already likely to have more talented and committed homebrew developers than PSP has, and in a much more unified community.

The PSP scene has a lot of developers, some number of them good, but it's splintered, somewhat like this:

- The people who hang out in ps2dev.org and #pspdev and you basically never hear about a majority of them anywhere else, probably because they don't want to get sucked into the more awful "mainstream" PSP homebrew scenes. They knew a lot about PSP and they have big, big ambitions to do really high quality things. Consequently, they've mostly just contributed tools, very useful tools but not a lot of apps.

- The fringe developers who mainly just port something and forget about it. Most of the emulators ported for PSP aren't even following the GPL. This is where a majority of programs seem to come from.

- New people who are over-eager to develop a ground breaking game, have no prior programming experience, and slap together something in Lua (complete with ripped sprites) to show as a demo. They usually don't get that far.

- Japanese devs; they do some of the more useful and semi-original material but they usually don't speak English and don't associate with the other groups.

Now compare to Pandora, which looks like it's going to be taking from these groups:

- GP32/GP2X devs, a pretty massively talented scene - I'd say that this already beats the PSP dev scene by a lot.

- People lured away from PSP dev by stronger hardware (there's a reason they weren't developing for DS in the first place); it's already gotten the attention of Tinnus and flatmush, and there are PSP devs who were somewhat on the fence with GP2X because it was too weak (hlide, Zx81) whom I think will be likely to migrate as well.

- A slew of new people lured in, particularly from other open source Linux dev communities. You can already see them posting here regularly.

But I don't expect a lot of the PSP scene people to really see all this, since Pandora will never have even a tiny fraction of the mainstream appeal and recognition PSP does.

I posted about the Pandora on Llamma.com and got the same PSP/DS fanboyism.

Just for the record, I found out about this through MaxConsole, and I think Pandora is GREAT!

Jonttu said:
They have there PSP, they love there PSP, it cost them a year of whining to there parents to get there PSP, of course they are going to be protective over it :)

Although most of it seems to be "What can it do that my PSP can't?" which is a valid question, and best left until we have some more apps running.

Jonttu said:

Can the PSP emulate Dreamcast and N64 games at full speed?
I don't think you can really say the DC, as it's been discussed a lot about it being pretty much impossible for full speed or much of any speed, even. I'd love to be proven wrong, though =D.

not all of the users at maxconsole can be lumped into the 'dipshit' column.

i've been into console gaming since 1975 with pong and into handhelds since my original lynx (by the original amiga devs such as rj mical and jay miner). i've owned almost every console and handheld released since 1979 / 1980.

i'd been wanting a gp32 for years but never got one, then the gp2x released and i desperately wanted one but never did, and now with the pandora fixing to release, i will definitely be purchasing one as soon as i can locate a dealer / importer and they have stock.

the pandora sounds awesome. so to be fair, let's not just lump all the users at maxconsole into the same group. i agree that the 'fanboys' there are vicious (especially the sony ones) and will defend their hardware at whatever cost.

i do own 2 psps, 2 ds's, 1 360, 1 ps3, 1 wii and tons of classic gaming consoles and tons of classic computers (ti-994a, amiga 1000, 3000 and 4000 w/video toaster setup, c-64, vic-20 and many many more). i used to program demos and intros on the c-64, amiga 1000 and apple 2e back in the early - mid '80s for various groups such as apex, tcw and a couple others.

i'm also into alternate os' such as zeta, beos and linux/ubuntu.

i just wanted to express my feelings and greets to you guys since i'm a new member to these forums and i am trying to find out all the info i can on pandora and looking for an importer so i can obtain one of these beauties when released.

Jonttu said:
I actually went over to Llama to read the thread, and I was pleasantly surprised. There was one kid who had his head stuck completely up his ass, but everybody else seemed neutral or cautiously positive. That's really the best you can expect for an "unknown" device that hasn't actually shipped yet.

kneehighspy said:
i just wanted to express my feelings and greets to you guys since i'm a new member to these forums and i am trying to find out all the info i can on pandora and looking for an importer so i can obtain one of these beauties when released.
Cool, kneehighspy, welcome to the forum!

Depending on where you live, you might not need to look for an importer. Do you live in the UK, US, Germany or Turkey?

RedStar1949 said:
Just for the record, I found out about this through MaxConsole, and I think Pandora is GREAT!
Cool! Welcome to the forum. :D

kneehighspy said:
not all of the users at maxconsole can be lumped into the 'dipshit' column.
No, they can't. But the fun and games in the discussion on the Pandora is quite a bit over the top. :D

i'd been wanting a gp32 for years but never got one, then the gp2x released and i desperately wanted one but never did, and now with the pandora fixing to release, i will definitely be purchasing one as soon as i can locate a dealer / importer and they have stock.

Importer? Where do you live? These are likely to be pretty much online/mail order for a while to come... :D

the pandora sounds awesome. so to be fair, let's not just lump all the users at maxconsole into the same group. i agree that the 'fanboys' there are vicious (especially the sony ones) and will defend their hardware at whatever cost.

While I won't lump everyone over there in that same bucket, I won't excuse the conduct all the same.

The bulk of the bunch over there are guilty of asshattery, pure and simple. :D I don't readily or willingly
suffer fools lightly.

Welcome to the forums. If things go as everyone hopes it's going to start getting fun over the next couple of months. :D

Esn said:
kneehighspy said:
Cool, kneehighspy, welcome to the forum!

Depending on where you live, you might not need to look for an importer. Do you live in the UK, US, Germany or Turkey?

i live in the us. i would love to get a pandora, and if i don't need to import one that would be great, but if i need to, i will, whatever it takes.

do you guys know if the release date is firm? i know march is out of the question, but they did mention in april it could possibly release. after seeing the pics of the 1.0 (february) system board, it looks like they are close to finalizing the board design, but i haven't seen any pre-release case pics.

Jonttu said:
Oh, as opposed to your
Can the PSP emulate Dreamcast and N64 games at full speed? I haven't seen it yet. It will also be able to emulate DS games at full speed using a Linux build of no$gba. Any emulators or programs available for Linux will be available for Pandora. I rest my case.

Better get cracking on all them fullspeed ports Jonttu :rolleyes:

kneehighspy said:
do you guys know if the release date is firm? i know march is out of the question, but they did mention in april it could possibly release. after seeing the pics of the 1.0 (february) system board, it looks like they are close to finalizing the board design, but i haven't seen any pre-release case pics.
From http://www.openpandora.org/ :

When and where can I buy it?

Sometime around April/May 2008 (for developers) and June/July (for casual users) via UK, USA, Germany and Turkey.

I agree, the llamma reaction was very reasonable. The sole tool was amusing, he thought it was fake because a 4.3" 800x480 screen was "impossible" and had the impression that it was the size of a laptop, despite there being coins in the picture for comparison. One of the site admins corrected him :)

JakeK said:
Definately looks like I will have to import. This is gonna cost a shit load more money now, at least an extra $50.
Why is that, did the Aussie shop say they won't carry it?

I would guess an Asian distributor lkike PlayAsia will pick it up anyway :)

I didn't get a response to my Pandora enquiry from gp2x.net.au. Funny, because they're usually pretty good with answering emails. I guess they're avoiding any comment on it for now. Maybe they're of the Quasist view that Pandora is for traitors. :lol:

Back