Pandora classic won't run kernel from 1.4

mclien

Very Active Member
I had my classic pandora installed in a new case (with the hindge mod) and now it won't boot in the recent Version (Think, SuperZaxxon 1.4x it must be).

It starts the bootlogo and then wents black. I was able to boot into the version with a 2.6. kernel via the START+RIGHT SHOULDERBUTTON an slecting old kernel from the menu.

should I give flashing with the recent 1.62 a try?

Answer is PARTLY yes. Now running 1.62, but only from powersupply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try removing the battery and all other power for 20 minutes or so to reset the PMIC (this helped Dunny).

If that doesn't help, you have a defective board and 1.62 is unlikely to help.

Since the board was lying around several weeks without power, I'd guess that won't help.

But How can the board be defective, if the older kernel boots it up?

No idea, but there is surely something wrong with the board. I can guess power saving related signals are not reaching OMAP, like the 32kHz clock used for sleep modes, as power saving is the main difference between 2.6 and 3.2, but I can never know without having a chance to investigate such board myself.

Had some time to dig  bit in. Maybe (sadly) notaz is righ. I noticed that the remaning Battery power didn't changed (77% without changing). So while running I unplugged the powercord, which instandly switched the pandora of. I used the battery from my other pandora to verify but wuth that one it isn't running either.

So something with the powersupply/managment defnitly seems wrong.

I have a multimeter and a magnifier lamp ad hand. Anthing further I could investigate with that or should someone more skilled with it should look into it (if a classic board is worth that anyway..)

Well you could do general inspection of the board, see if some part is not knocked out, so some corrosion or something. If there is nothing unusual it's probably soldering issue of the BGA chips, which is next to impossible to fix without special equipment.

I'll look into it tonight and be back.

BTW: What happens to the classic boards that come to you to upgrade? Are they resoldered with the new components or is there a pile building up from classic pandora boards?

Optical test was without result. (I found something that "could" have bridged something, but was very easy to remove and I'm not even sure, if it was conductiv).

But all soldering shows a bit corrosion.

Current state:

battery out, power plug in: holding start+rightSB makes the leftmost LED flash very short every second or so and after about half a minute shows the boot menu, from wich I can boot the 2.6.27 kernel.

same with battery in, but the the charging LED never lights up.

Unplugin shuts it of instantly.

So my options are..?

I'll look into it tonight and be back.

BTW: What happens to the classic boards that come to you to upgrade? Are they resoldered with the new components or is there a pile building up from classic pandora boards?
I don't think notaz has anything to do with EDs "business" directly, he's "only" our local demigod of firmwaremess whos motivation is still not totally clear to me. 

I also doubt that the classic boards get any real refreshments other than replacing faulty or worn out components. This would only make sense if ED would have a lot of spare SoCs lying around and there weren't any adjustments to the pcb made back then to accomodate for the newer SoCs (which had to be made, iirc).

I don't think notaz has anything to do with EDs "business" directly, he's "only" our local demigod of firmwaremess whos motivation is still not totally clear to me. 
Masochist. 

From the symptoms I get, I would guess the faulty parts is the link between the power plug and the battery management.

-powering up with PSU power plug works

-on battery doesn't work

-powering with micro USB plug won'T work either

-kernel that supports intelligent power managing won't boot up

So any hints which area of the PCB I should get a closer look?

-powering with micro USB plug won'T work either
Without a working battery this won't work on any Pandora.  USB just doesn't provide enough current to power up sans battery. 

Try reflashing anyway. Can't hurt can it?
So right you were (and still are), partly

So my cc is unning SuperZaxxon 1.62 now on power supply

But Still no battery loading function...

Still shows 74% battery load, but switches off instantly when unpluggin power supply.

My Pandora reports a similar amount of charge when I run it on PSU without the battery, so if you have 74% no matter with or without battery, you definitely have no electrical contact between the battery and the charger chip.

To clarify: a power supply with usb micro connector (5V/1A)
Doesn't matter, the power controller doesn't even try to power on from the USB. I believe it can be configured to do so, but don't quote me on that, it's been ages since I looked at the power-on configuration bits. Not that that helps you in any way, just an interesting factoid.

Back