Pandora Controlled Car

Next up a pandora controlled robot to do your every bidding.ie getting beer from the fridge, a mech masseuse :D Im a big heli rc fan so will like to see a wireless car.

How much trouble would it be for you to make a program for the Pandora and a thing (what's the word, library, script, program?) for the arduino with the bluetooth adapter? *SNIP *

Let me stop you there. Don't have an arduino nor any idea how they work.

So for now: No

Ever? Probably not

But: Reading your post, you seem know quite a lot about technology. Why not get an Arduino, and start learning to code? Really, it's not THAT hard...

Just got an Arduino and am starting to learn coding on it soon.

Any chance you could help with the Pandora side of this project?
I can help if you have questions, sure. I'm not going to write the software though, sorry, way too busy already.

P.s. The pandoracar software might me a good starting point for you though. It basically has a command sent over usb serial for every action button pressed. No 2 way comms yet, thats up next.

Edit: meh, maybe i can help out a little. Looking into serial communication anyway in preparation of the Bluetooth module. But if you want to use the Pandora's ext serial, it's up to you to get that to work. If it works, the software can probably connect to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great seeing it all come together into one project! It looks like you're actually going to finish this. Respect. Usually, I lose interest when there aren't any technical challenges left to conquer. Starting things is easy. Finishing it is the hardest part.

Just curious, are you using the communication library I pointed you to in your original topic? Or did you find another (perhaps better) library? I'm assuming you simply ran out of time getting the 2 way communication up and running? If it's a technical issue, let me know. It shouldn't give you trouble.

Little offtopic (sorry): TI is selling their TTL Logic Data Book from 1988 for the incredibly low price of $0.10 including shipping (found it here). I was looking for that for some time, so I ordered it and included an MSP430 Launchpad as well. Always good to have some extra tools in the toolbox!

Just got an Arduino and am starting to learn coding on it soon.

Any chance you could help with the Pandora side of this project?
An Arduino is great to get you started. Good choice! I'm sure a lot of people will be able to help.

Some nice coverage of the project, including link to the official Pandora site in the first line here:

http://www.43oh.com/...andora-console/

@Panik: sorry, totally missed that post. And i used the method you advised against for now, just echo commands :p But im experimenting with the serial library you mentioned before for the next project, trying to get an ultrasonic rangefinder to work. After that, the car will be updated as well.

And i have the ttl databook in my posession! I ordered it since i also ordered a 40 dollar piccolo controlstick that came with a full CCS licence for free :) . Oh wait, minus 6 dollar discount :p so 34 bucks for full ccs4 license (all platforms) and a C2000 experimenter kit.See this thread on the 43oh forum: http://www.43oh.com/...php?f=33&t=1460.

Cheers!

MarkoeZ

That's awesome man, I built a quadrotor last summer, some people have gotten bluetooth control to work with that so I don't see why you can have a Pandora controlled quadrotor helicopter with a video feed. Range might be an issue though. RC radios usually work up to 2 km, bluetooth, not so much.

Did you get one of those cheapo bluetooth serial devices from ebay? If you did tell me how that goes, I'm planning a end of year project for a high school class, and I need to stream data from my laptop to an Arduino, don't know if bluetooth is the right solution for me though.

Well, cursing apparently helps, it arrived this afternoon :)

That's awesome man, I built a quadrotor last summer, some people have gotten bluetooth control to work with that so I don't see why you can have a Pandora controlled quadrotor helicopter with a video feed. Range might be an issue though. RC radios usually work up to 2 km, bluetooth, not so much.

Did you get one of those cheapo bluetooth serial devices from ebay? If you did tell me how that goes, I'm planning a end of year project for a high school class, and I need to stream data from my laptop to an Arduino, don't know if bluetooth is the right solution for me though.

I did get one of those cheap bluetooth serial devices, but bought on dealextreme. I will post here if i have anything working.

And controlling the car over bluetooth serial is one thing, attaching a camera and sending video back is something else. Don't think i can get that to work.

Yea most people use regular video transmitters for that purpose. I think they are generally all analog feeds.

Ok, i made a breakoutboard for the module (tiiiiiny connection points, ugh) and i'm having trouble pairing it with the Pandora.

It detects the module just fine, but when i try to connect to it with pin login '1234' it says i have to enter a pin on the module. When i try and connect from my phone it works just fine.

Help? :S

bluetoothmodulebreakout.jpg

Ok Pairing done. Now if i had any idea how to send or receive characters, no idea how it's connected in linux.

I'm off googling, but if anyone has ideas, let me know

Yea most people use regular video transmitters for that purpose. I think they are generally all analog feeds.
Yeah... well if this is the route to go, you just need the analog Video camera + transmitter on the car and the receiver connected to a compatible USB capture card on the PAndora + Mplayer... and voila... almost simple XD

Ok Pairing done. Now if i had any idea how to send or receive characters, no idea how it's connected in linux.

I'm off googling, but if anyone has ideas, let me know

Start by entering the following command at the terminal:

Code:
sdptool search SP

This will search all visible bluetooth devices for sevices using the SP (serial port) profile

The output should look something like this: (I've used the GPS relay software in my phone as an example)

Code:
Searching for SP on XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Service Name: Symarctic ExtGPS

Service Description: Share phone's built-in GPS module via Bluetooth

Service Provider: Symarctic Solutions

Service RecHandle: 0x1002b

Service Class ID List:

"Serial Port" (0x1101)

Protocol Descriptor List:

"L2CAP" (0x0100)

"RFCOMM" (0x0003)

Channel: 12

Language Base Attr List:

code_ISO639: 0x656e

encoding:	0x6a

base_offset: 0x100

XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX represents the Bluetooth address of the device.

The other main item you will need to note is the channel listed after RFCOMM.

The next command you'll need is rfcomm.

If you type it on its own it will give you a list of existing rfcomm devices or return nothing if none exist.

This command creates a serial device port in linux at /dev/rfcomm1 linked to the specified address and channel. (in this case 12 but you should go with the channel returned by the sdptool command)

Code:
sudo rfcomm bind 1 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 12

Typing rfcomm on its own should now show something along the lines of:

Code:
rfcomm1: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX channel 12 clean

/dev/rfcomm1 can then be used as a regular serial port device.

When you have finished, this command cleans up and removes rfcomm1

Code:
sudo rfcomm unbind 1

If you can't communicate and typing rfcomm on its own shows something like

Code:
rfcomm1: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX channel 12 closed

then unbinding and rebinding the port should allow you to re-establish the connection.

Hope this helps

- Neelix

Awesome, i seem to have a working serial port! Going to hook up to the car board now to see if it works.

Thanks a lot for the clear instructions!

a compatible USB capture card on the PAndora + Mplayer... and voila... almost simple XD
"Compatible ISB capture card"

AIUI that is not simple.

A friend suggested hooking a capture card to a laptop and using VLC to stream it to the Pandora.

Errrm, you guys know i never intended, nor plan to build a camera into the car, right?

After the third mention i briefly investigated, but soon found out that it's too expensive whatever method i use.

I mean, would be cool, but with the maximum bluetooth range it's not like it's going to be driving very far off anyway

Back