Pandora Or N900

forces

Hi,
For everyone who will point me to this thread, I have read that, and it didn't gave me the answer for some things, that I think are important.

I can buy N900 or Pandora, but not both of them,

Questions about Pandora
1) Is Pandora touch screen interface usable with finger(as it is on N900) or is it usable only with "nub-mouse" or stylus. I mean full desktop environment, not minimenu. And is minimenu usable with multitasking? Like does it have a bottom panel wth running apps like it is on LDXE or any other window manager.
2) Does Pandora have better keyboard than N900? I do know, that pandora has a bigger keyboard, but i don't know the quality of it.
3) Is there a way of simply zooming in web browser(like firefox, arora, chromium or any other) and does web browser allow dragging the page with mouse? I mean a similar way of zooming like on other not multi-touch devices(buttons, or even zooming with gestures like on N900)
4) Is it worth the waiting? No comment. I think everyone knows, what i am thinking.

Questions about N900
5) How is the battery life on N900? I've read a lots of different thoughts about this, like the batery lasts for 4/5 hours, but what's the battery life for someone, who uses web devices about 5 minutes in a hour?
6) How is it with USB host? I heard, that the USB host can be done with a home-made dongle(like with Wiz), but is it true?
7) Is GameGripper necessary for playing games on N900?
8) Is it worth the price? Same as in question 4.

Question For iControlPad
9) What will be the cost? This question is really important for me, because I probably won't buy 700$ N900 if I will have to buy another 199$ device for it.

Thanks in advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both an n900 and a Pandora (Well, I had a Pandora, it currently in Germany for repair), so I'll try to answer what questions I can:

forces/before said:
1) Is Pandora touch screen interface usable with finger(as it is on N900) or is it usable only with "nub-mouse" or stylus. I mean full desktop environment, not minimenu. And is minimenu usable with multitasking? Like does it have a bottom panel wth running apps like it is on LDXE or any other window manager.

The touchscreen on the Pandora doesn't seem to quite as responsive for finger usage as the n900, and the controls in full desktop are a bit small for the level of precision a finger provides. The stylus works fine, but I find it awkward trying to use while holding the base of the console with both hands. I found using the nubs for the mouse to be much more convenient, although it took a couple days to get the hang of it. I never used minimenu, so I can't answer the other question.

forces/before said:
2) Does Pandora have better keyboard than N900? I do know, that pandora has a bigger keyboard, but i don't know the quality of it.

I would say the Pandora keyboard is much better. The n900 keys are very small and tightly packed, and a lot of commonly used keys require the use of the FN key to access (including all of the numbers). One drawback to the Pandora, though, is that the top row of keys is a bit cramped against the hinge.

forces/before said:
3) Is there a way of simply zooming in web browser(like firefox, arora, chromium or any other) and does web browser allow dragging the page with mouse? I mean a similar way of zooming like on other not multi-touch devices(buttons, or even zooming with gestures like on N900)

I believe there is a Fennec port for the Pandora, which supports most or all of these features. There's a lot of options when it comes to browsers on the Pandora, so I'm sure one will meet your needs.

forces/before said:
4) Is it worth the waiting? No comment. I think everyone knows, what i am thinking.

How patient are you?

forces/before said:
5) How is the battery life on N900? I've read a lots of different thoughts about this, like the batery lasts for 4/5 hours, but what's the battery life for someone, who uses web devices about 5 minutes in a hour?

The n900 has a 1320mah battery, which is a bit small for a smart phone. But the device itself, through both hardware and software, is very efficient. You should be able to get over 10 hours of normal use, with WiFi on.

forces/before said:
6) How is it with USB host? I heard, that the USB host can be done with a home-made dongle(like with Wiz), but is it true?

http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Hardware_USB_Host

forces/before said:
7) Is GameGripper necessary for playing games on N900?

I would say yes. Yes gaming "works" without the game gripper, but for me at least, it not really usable. And even though the game gripper helps a lot, it still not great. The "feel" of the controls isn't really quite right. Also, no more than two buttons will respond at one. And, if you're like me and have large hands, expect cramps.

forces/before said:
8) Is it worth the price? Same as in question 4.

It was for me. They're going for $415 USD on Newegg, which is only $55 more than a batch 2 Pandora, and unlike the Pandora, you can order now and have it in your hands in a few days. I paid $360 for a used, but in pristine condition used n900.

EDIT: Just noticed that you're in the Czech Republic, so Newegg is probably out of the question. But you can probably find comparable prices elsewhere, or if not get someone in the US to order for you.

forces/before said:
9) What will be the cost? This question is really important for me, because I probably won't buy 700$ N900 if I will have to buy another 199$ device for it.

The price was quoted at $49 USD on the other boards. Although I personally wouldn't order until n900 support is actually working, if that happens at all.

Some more thing consider:

The n900 has 32gb of built in space. The Pandora has a larger screen. The n900 has much better build quality. The Pandora has awesome gaming controls. The n900's firmware is much more stable and mature. The Pandora has a larger battery capacity. The n900 is a GSM phone, with 3G support. The Pandora has two full size SD slots that can be accessed with out removing the battery cover. The n900 has an FM receiver and transmitter, accelerometer, IR blaster, and 5MP camera with a Carl Zeiss lens.

If you're not too interested in gaming, I'd say n900 all the way. But if poor gaming controls is a deal breaker, then definitely the Pandora.

The N900 is a hacker guys phone; same sort of chipset as a pandora as you probably know. As a phone, its not all that great really .. great specs, but the UI is a nightmare for normal blokes; but if you like to tinker and hack, its a great device.. great specs, and infinite hacking potential; you can get it now ;) The pandora is better in most respects, but of course is not a phone. So to me the question is about wait, of course, and about phone or not phone; do you want good gaming, or a phone?

If I didn't already have a modern phone, I'd so pick up a n900 to go along with my pandora :)

jeff

Well instead of writingalotoftexttogiveyouheadaches, i will give you a link:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=650190#post650190

The last part of that, "PERSONAL INPUT", should not be applied in your situation since the prices have changed.
Now I believe, everythings much more competitive.

If you want to see how competitive, continue reading. The following information may come as a shock to you have been warned.

Example:

• you can pick up a used PSP 2000 online ($130) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (adlxmod2.02 on DEXT) ($220) to cost = $350 <<this is equivalent to the price of a Pandora
  • you can pick up a used DS Lite and R4card online ($85+$44) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (adlxmod2.02 on DEXT) ($220) to cost = $349

• you can pick up a used PSP 2000 online ($130) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (CM6+ on Nexus One) ($480) to cost = $610
  • you can pick up a used DS Lite and R4card online ($85+$44) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (CM6+ on Neus One) ($480) to cost = $609

• you can pick up a Pandora ($360) and add a used smartphone to counter balance the features (XDANDROID on Touch Pro) ($140) to cost = $500
  • you can pick up a Pandora ($360) and add a used smartphone to counter balance the features (CM6+ on G1) ($170) to cost = $530
  • you can pick up a Pandora ($360) and add a used smartphone to counter balance the features (adlxmod2.02 on DEXT) ($220) to cost = $580

• you can pick up a used N900 online ($340) and add Wiimote/Zeemote ($90/40) to cost = $430/380
  • you can pick up a used N900 online ($340) and add a GameGripper ($25) to cost = $365

• you can pick up a used Milestone online ($400) and add a GameGripper ($20) to cost = $420
  • you can pick up a Milestone2 when it comes out ($650) and add a GameGripper ($30) to cost = $680
  • you can pick up a Samsung EPIC 4G, if your lucky to have CDMA, ($600) and add a Game Gripper, if they decide there is enough demand ($30) to cost = $630

• you can pick up a used iPhone 4 ($950) and add a iControlpad ($55) when it comes out to cost > $1000

So it seems going with the N900 gives you the most bang-for-buck, but then again development for the N900 is lesser than the iPhone4 and the Android offerings.
I'd personally go with the EPIC 4G + GameGripper, if I could (we don't have CDMA here), but then again the iPhone4 is slightly more enticing with the dual-nubs.
So for me personally the logical thing would definitely be the Milestone + GameGripper since its decent priced and once Froyo'd and OC'd to 1.25GHz 750Mhz it can hadle psx and n64 fine ... I rather bear lusting at the iControlpad iPhone4 owners than cringle at shelling-out for its hefty price.

The only saving grace I see is if you can grab a cheap DEXT (which can also do ALL emulators except dosbox/n64/psx which are impossible, and MAME/Neogeo/Capcom which run at a slowish rate with sound/perfect without sound)... AppStore + Emulators ftw!

All currencies were calculated at AUD$$ rate (yeah we've got a steady economy).

EDIT: @forces/before ... Just curious, which option would you prefer to choose?

So it seems going with the N900 gives you the most bang-for-buck, but then again development for the N900 is lesser than the iPhone4 and the Android offerings.
I'd personally go with the EPIC 4G + GameGripper, if I could (we don't have CDMA here), but then again the iPhone4 is slightly more enticing with the dual-nubs.
So for me personally the logical thing would definitely be the Milestone + GameGripper since its decent priced and once Froyo'd and OC'd to 1.25GHz 750Mhz it can hadle psx and n64 fine ... I rather bear lusting at the iControlpad iPhone4 owners than cringle at shelling-out for its hefty price.

Zodttd still hasn't released the N64 Emu for Android....so, yeah
Can't wait till he does though.

Another nice setup is what I'm working on recreating.

hTC EVO or hTC HD2 and a SNES Bluetooth Controller, thusly equaling awesomeness!

Kangal said:
Just curious, which option would you prefer to choose?
Well, Like Skeezix said, N900 and Pandora are hacker toys, and I would like to have a Hackable device(sooner or later), so for me, I think that N900 + GameGripper or Pandora + cheap android smartphone would be the option. But i would like to have a stable system too, and i don't know much about XDAndroid, so i wouldn't buy that.
Also, I don't want a gaming device that has to be hacked for homebrew and emulation, so no PSP or NDS...

Or, if i would get a used N900 really cheap, i could have both :) But i don't think i will get N900 so cheap...

Personally, I'd go for the N900.
There seems to be a lack of interest in the Pandora now which worries me deeply. I remember there being a couple of guys on this forum a couple of months ago who were complaining that the project seemed dead - it certainly looks that they were right.

electrocity said:
Personally, I'd go for the N900.
There seems to be a lack of interest in the Pandora now which worries me deeply. I remember there being a couple of guys on this forum a couple of months ago who were complaining that the project seemed dead - it certainly looks that they were right.

Well, a lot of things have seen quick ports, more stuff will take more time.
Also, the biggest reason for not much going on at the moment is that most things have been said and now until the big batch of units have been delivered, not much is going to happen.

It was the same with GP2X, WIZ and will probably also be the same with the Caanoo: A lot of quick ports at the beginning, then nothing will happen for a few months and then when more and more people have a device, it will come back.

I can't remember how often I seen threads with "the GP2X is dead" on these boards - and then a few weeks later it was back and alive.
That's normal with devices sold in few numbers. The N900 has thousands of more users, there's always somebody that will do something.

But with about 900 Pandoras delivered, about 10 - 30 devs working on it, even things like summer holidays will affect how many thing will happen here. Devs on summer holidays won't do much work.

I have no worries with that - once the first 4000 have been delivered, a lot more things will happen.

Last edited:
vaporware twats are back, i think its time craig proves them wrong

And if there has to be a device with scene that is more "alive", I would choose Pandora for sure... In my opinion, N900 is not bad, but there aren't much active devs for it right now...

Kangal said:
[*]you can pick up a used PSP 2000 online ($130) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (adlxmod2.02 on DEXT) ($220) to cost = $350 <<this is equivalent to the price of a Pandora
[*]you can pick up a used DS Lite and R4card online ($85+$44) and add a used smartphone to balance the features (adlxmod2.02 on DEXT) ($220) to cost = $349

FYI, not that it helps anyone now - Nokia recently did a "trade-in" deal in the USA where they offered a minimum $280 for any cellphone (got an old broken thing in your junk drawer? Great!), PLUS took 10% off the list price of $499, then shipped free with no tax...

I sent in an old phone that was worth a few bucks, and I paid less than $150 for a shiny new n900. It is totally worth it in all respects - I think it's mostly a neat phone, and would have been considered a breakthrough had they shipped it a year earlier. And at $150, I can't see not getting my $$$ back on eBay if I change my mind.

But - development is now mostly non-existent, and it is rubbish for gaming without some kind of add-on.

On the third hand - it could all change once MeeGo is available for it, which should be any minute now (not that it'll sprout controls, but that there will be a lot more stuff that works well on the touchscreen than there is now).

I'd suggest watching and hoping, and then pouncing if Nokia does the same deal over again.

I bought the N900 to use both as a phone and portable computer. I'm used to Debian and Maemo is based on it so its very easy to use for me. Its not a gaming device. The buttons are arranged in blocks and its very, very hard to use for gaming, slow response as well. Without overclocking it can run SNES games, but the keys are almost useless for gaming. I didn't buy it mainly for gaming though, it's an amazing phone in itself. Also it do not have USB host capability.

I missed the deal where they give $289 rebate for the N900 if you send in your old phone, but I still felt the device was worth $400. It's not a gaming device bottom line, but I'm eager for the N900 successor.

I spent $580 for my N900 a while back and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's got rough edges and some missing features but it's worth it to have a Linux computer in my pocket. The GameGripper is far from perfect, but does the job when I need it to, and it works with the PS3 controller as well if I really get crazy. Honestly, at this stage, it really depends on how much you want to wait. I'd give you a comparison with my Pandora, but it still hasn't been built yet and I'd be surprised if I get it before Christmas. If you're in the second batch, it will probably be 2011 before you get one, so you could probably get the N900 now and have enough money again by the time you can actually get a Pandora.

Back