Pandora oriented Apps

But some tweaks like bigger scroll bars, or bigger window buttons can be included in the SO itself and affect every software which uses window system
You can do this yourself, as most applications that are GUI oriented for the Pandora use the GTK framework to show it, so just tweak the appropriate settings (as the mechanisms are the same as on the desktop your favourite search engine is your friend here). On a side note, ED already tweaked some things on that regard before.But it is a tradeoff you have to make as making controls bigger leads to fewer available screen estate, which is already a precious thing on the Pandora.

A big issue for me is, that most software is only ported but not adjust to the pandora. So there are windows, where the okay-button is only reachable if the window is moved around (firefox). Or half of the screen is taken by the menubar(codeblocks). A lot of (GUI-)software for Linux is written for big screens, this leads to space problems on the screen of the pandora. I think this can be seen at e.g. codeblocks and clawmail.

Maybe a solution could be to hide the menus in the title bar under a dropdown menu, like in firefox under windows. The layout of the windows will be a far bigger challenge.

(Sorry for my bad english)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum, about codeblocks, I disagree. The GUI, by default loads and show everything, and all space is eaten. But the GUI is not fixed. You can change config. Typicaly, the GUI of codeblocks can be really useable.

Look here: preview2.png

There is plenty of space for coding. How would you want the GUI to be to be qualified as Pandora-friendly ?

(but I haven't followed this thread very much, so maybe my comment is irrelevant)

A lot of improvements can be made by the user - turning off toolbar icons is a good start, as is hiding the statusbar

You guys are focusing in bars and buttons sizes and that's not what this topic is about (at least, not just that)

We are talking about pandora friendly applications, taking advantage of the pandora hardware, and focusing in how people use pandora.

For example:

1. if you usually do thumb typing with pandora, don't make user to press alt+F1, which is pretty uncomfortable.
  2. Contextual buttons: why one button for each function? This make any keyboard feels small independently how many buttons it has. Why not, many functions for each easy-to-reach button, depending on what do you want to do, depending on  what part-screen-section of the application are you?
  3. Put on screen just what you need: really, does the button bar of codeblocks worth the space? How many times do you check it?

That kind of things we (at least I was) are talking about.

The DIY flavor is pretty good, but it have some limits.

On the particular subject of Codeblocks, the Screenshot I provided is my prefered configuration. I use the buttons often, and even the status bar is sometimes usefull, but it can be hiden.

But of course, all this is a GUI that is derived from the PaloAlto Xerox Research, and is taget to Screen/Keybord/Mouse peripherical.

What you are asking is to re-invent this using Screen/Thumbkeyboard/TouchScreen/Nubs peripherical. Not an easy task.

On the particular subject of Codeblocks, the Screenshot I provided is my prefered configuration. I use the buttons often, and even the status bar is sometimes usefull, but it can be hiden.

But of course, all this is a GUI that is derived from the PaloAlto Xerox Research, and is taget to Screen/Keybord/Mouse peripherical.

What you are asking is to re-invent this using Screen/Thumbkeyboard/TouchScreen/Nubs peripherical. Not an easy task.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about.

Not an easy task, sure. 

May even this is not suitable for such kind of programs, but, 

What about new ones? As I said before, we need more programs like PNDmanager.

Rss, email, file browser,internet browser, etc.

There are some programs made for pandora, but without pandora in mind.

For example, jumanji: it could be a bit more user friendly. It have a list of commands so long it doesn't fit the screen. I uses keyboard, why not a more easy implementation of the same thing?

You can do this yourself, as most applications that are GUI oriented for the Pandora use the GTK framework to show it, so just tweak the appropriate settings (as the mechanisms are the same as on the desktop your favourite search engine is your friend here). On a side note, ED already tweaked some things on that regard before.

But it is a tradeoff you have to make as making controls bigger leads to fewer available screen estate, which is already a precious thing on the Pandora.
 I want to do somethings by myself, if you orient me a little bit I will be grateful.

Anyway, again, I have to repeat, I'm not talking about make buttons bigger, I'm mainly talking about contextual buttons. 

I don't want desktop aplications with bigger buttons, I want pandora aplications.

Rockbox is a good example also.

How are Rockbox and PNDmanager programmed?

I've no idea about Rockbox but PNDManager is a basically just a Panorama UI done in QML.

You should check out these threads: 

Panorama

Design a Panorama UI

Maybe its time to revive the second one. :)

- Neelix

Wow, thank you, hahaha, this explains one thing: Why appear panorama on the app-killer when PNDmanager  is open? Is an alternative name?

Hahaah, I feel kinda idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a alternate name, panorama is the framework on which PNDManager is built. 

- Neelix
I kow (now) hahaha.

How can I use that framework?

I asked in one of the thread you posted, but if you want to answer here too for me it's quite good.

I don't have a detailed answer to that.  If you are interested in learning QML though, I found this through google,  and it looks like it might be a good place to start. :)

- Neelix

Back