Pandora Pandora Panic

DroneB Dev said:
followed and it stucks on

Engine.cpp:308: state->init();
yet i dont see anything it should stuck it
the funny thing is that the call itself fails not the inner code.

basestate.cpp:99
Code:
 void BaseState::init()
 {

#ifdef PENJIN_GL

#ifdef PENJIN3D
             GFX::init3DRendering(*xRes,*yRes);
         #else
             GFX::init2DRendering(*xRes,*yRes);
         #endif

#else
         // Do any setup here
 	#endif

}
I don't know what you are doing wrong, but please don't use the 7z archives now we have a public SVN. Just check out(get tortoiseSVN for windows, it's very nice and integrates with Windows Explorer.) both the Penjin classes and the PandoraPanic! framework and create a folder structure like this:
Projects/PandoraPanic/MyGame.cpp etc
Projects/PenjinBase/Engine.cpp etc

Open the cbp file from the PandoraPanic folder and then select W32 debug from the target dropdown menu on the top right. (Be very careful which target you try to compile for)

Your earlier errors were because you were trying to compile the Pandora build with the x86 compilor... And again please don't use the snapshot packages they are outdated by months since the googlecode site was setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
it now asks for missing files

HitRegion.h
Arena/ArenaEffect.h

ArenaEffect found just took the Arena off leaving ArenaEffect.h

searched the whole SVN and found nothing

plus downloaded several ver of penjin and no HitRegion File anywhere

that's strange that those are missing... you sure all of the Arena cpp's and h's (except the State itself) are in the arena subfolder?

EDIT: just did an svn checkout for both PandoraPanic and Penjin and everything should work if you did it right...

DroneB Dev said:
it now asks for missing files

HitRegion.h
Arena/ArenaEffect.h

ArenaEffect found just took the Arena off leaving ArenaEffect.h

searched the whole SVN and found nothing

plus downloaded several ver of penjin and no HitRegion File anywhere

You sure? http://code.google.c...ase/HitRegion.h

I also had the problem that the linker did not find the HitRegion class as it is stored in the CodeBlocks project file under the wrong relative path (../../HitRegion.h instead of ../HitRegion.h). Just remove it and add it again (the files should be located in the base folder - e.g. C:/PenjinBase)
Also the Effect class should definitely be there, just try to download them manually from the GoogleCode page if SVN seems to miss them.

Edit: Also I am curious to know how you fixed the problem you had earlier or what exactly the problem has been.

found it but codeblocks is Nuts, added it but it keeps saying it doesnt exist

ill try to errase everything and then copy again down from svn

got it working at last

hmm, im still lost about the controls ill check that tomorrow since my cripto homework is killing my head.

DroneB Dev said:
found it but codeblocks is Nuts, added it but it keeps saying it doesnt exist

ill try to errase everything and then copy again down from svn

got it working at last

hmm, im still lost about the controls ill check that tomorrow since my cripto homework is killing my head.

if the files are there then I would spend time redoing the codeblocks config

OK pp since i dont have uploading rights ive reported all the bugs on the google code system.

most of them are usability issues.

the other hand, i see a lack of preamble for each of the minigames

1) no idea what keys to use it should be explained bef the game starts
2) no idea of what to do in some minigames also should be explained bef the g starts.

so it would be good to add the preamble. just like the Rayman Raving Rabits

PD: (it took me a while to understand all of em, also finding the right keys)

and also im not sure if there is one but i see a lack of a manual
you would say this is simple just play, but any quality soft should have its own manual even if no one reads it.

DroneB Dev said:
OK pp since i dont have uploading rights ive reported all the bugs on the google code system.

most of them are usability issues.

the other hand, i see a lack of preamble for each of the minigames

1) no idea what keys to use it should be explained bef the game starts
2) no idea of what to do in some minigames also should be explained bef the g starts.

so it would be good to add the preamble. just like the Rayman Raving Rabits

PD: (it took me a while to understand all of em, also finding the right keys)

and also im not sure if there is one but i see a lack of a manual
you would say this is simple just play, but any quality soft should have its own manual even if no one reads it.
Hmm the key issue is not an issue as such because every game uses the same "Action" button and on the Pandora it will be the A Button. (I may well add it so you can press any key as the action button... dunno)
Obviously you have to know which keys to press when testing and sorry that you missed the discussion on this. But this is only a problem in tesing platforms such as Win or Lin PC targets.
This is all previously mentioned in the thread although I do understand there is lots to trawl through.

There is an explanation of what to do if you pause the games for a lot of them. I agree that this feature should be finished off for all games, but providing an explanation screen before every single mini game would take away some of the Panic. You will lose when a new game comes up but you will quickly learn how to pass the new game without it being spelt out to you.

There is a lack of a manual, that's why I put it on the TODO list. We don't even have a readme.txt I'm asking if some non-programmer can help out with this. It would be cool if someone could make a neat manual with some screenshots but a readme.txt would suffice.

well, right now i believe we need at least a simple TXT that explains wich are the action buttons, the pause buttons etc.

just to get a little less key stopmping and extend the keyboard life a lil more ( :D if you played for first not knowing wich key i would go stomping key as mad)

anyway forst of all i would like to request SVN commit permission to make up some minor changes /fix

and plus i would like to dev also a mini Game.
btw is there any fast game prototipe example or connector?
i see each game has a very diferent structure.

DroneB Dev said:
and plus i would like to dev also a mini Game.
btw is there any fast game prototipe example or connector?
i see each game has a very diferent structure.
Well just follow this manual http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/homebrew:games:pandorapanic and start by editing the SpaceInvaders minigame. If you take a close look at the structure of the minigames they all are actually very similar, but due to the complex nature of some of the games (Arena, Pang, OneButtonBandit for example) they need some extra classes and functions and therefore things get more complicated.
If you examine the SpaceInvaders one (which is not complicated and should be easy to understand - even I did start this way and created 2 minigames out of it while this was the first thing I made in C++) you will see all the basics (Controls, render, update, etc.). If you have a bit experience in C++ coding you should be able to figure out what to do (if not come back and ask - my offer for direct help via ICQ or else is also still valid). Maybe comparing some other simple games will also help... (my advice: just don't take a look at Pang or OneButtonBandit, you would go crazy ;) ).

About the manual: Well I don't think creating a readme.txt is a good idea... first, nobody reads it, second it looks shitty and you can not get a good structure in it.
I would prefer some kind of in-game manual. As most of the games are (kind of) self-explaining one would only have to explain the basics (use the A-key for everything, think quick, die fast, etc.) which could go on one screen (maybe with some small graphics.
I think that way a lot more people will read it and if you did not read it and totally get lost the first time you play you don't have to exit the game to find out what to do, instead you just select the "Help!" or "Panic!" button in the main menu and will read everything you need to know.

foxblock out

well you can find one game i made on Java about 2-3 years Ago (i dont remember) XD

i wanted to make a minigame out of its sprites.

and also if u check the screenshots you will see the in game manual.

and even older there was BC Battle Country(if i can find it ill use the sprites as well).
that one really had a nice dynamic tutorial.

actually as a hobby im working on BC2 a MMO..something. running a PHP engine and i would like to make it run with the Linux Flash Player (forgot the name it was Ge something).

anyway how long do we have until the game release close? (yes i know bef pandora release, but how long before)

well you can find one game i made on Java about 2-3 years Ago (i dont remember) XD
BOC Supercharged
i wanted to make a minigame out of its sprites.

and also if u check the screenshots you will see the in game manual.

and even older there was BC Battle Country(if i can find it ill use the sprites as well).
that one really had a nice dynamic tutorial.

actually as a hobby im working on BC2 a MMO..something. running a PHP engine and i would like to make it run with the Linux Flash Player (forgot the name it was Ge something).

anyway how long do we have until the game release close? (yes i know bef pandora release, but how long before)

DroneB Dev said:

We are not really sure because we are aiming for Pandora release. And official release date hasn't been set and giving us a deadline would be the same as setting a release date for Pandora. We haven't got long left, that's for sure.

As far as documentation on how to play the games is concerned, you might consider implementing a basic framework that all minigames can use. Have a template image that contains all of the controls of your device, and break that image up so that each control can be displayed separately. Also assign a caption area for each control. Each mini game should be able to turn on which controls display, and what the caption is for each. Then during either the loading of each mini game, or a "ready... start!" time before each game starts, you can flash the control scheme on part of the screen.

So for example, for the Space Invaders game you would highlight the left and right d-pad buttons, and the A button. The dpad buttons would be labeled with the caption "Move!" and the A button would be labeled with the caption "Fire!" PLander would have the left and right buttons marked as "Rotate!" and the A button as "Thrust!". (I'm guessing at the actual control assignment here, but you get the idea).

Simply displaying this for 2 or 3 seconds right before the game gets underway should give the user all the info they need to know in order to play the game. These games are simple, and don't require a lot of explanation. Once the user knows all the controls/buttons that can possibly affect the game, they should be able to figure the rest out on their own pretty easily.

Cheers!

Mkay, ill look further into it.

just lemme take this days for study, gotta present first round partials, plus the thesis milestone check.

ill comeback with something rdy to upload i hope.

Update on my fire game, its almost finished(gameplay), still some things to tweak with smoke particles. I will be committing it to svn soon for some testing and opinions.

Just an update on the PXML stuff - I got dflemstr's PXML specification and a schema (outdated, but hopefully will still work). I'll write up a rough draft of a PXML file and then put it up here (or somewhere) so that people can make suggestions and provide translations. Expect to see the first draft in the next few days.

OK I managed to squeeze some time together to sit down and fix a few bugs.

Updated to SVN I have fixed the Casing error in spelling contest
I have also made a quick fix which hopefully has fixed BadVista... but I'm not sure I can recreate the continual bounce bug... so if someone could verify that the bug is gone, that would be sweet.

I've also noticed that the Arena mini-game is unfortunately memleaking a lot. I kind of knew that before since I was getting a lot of pointer related questions from Dragons_Slayer... but it's about 10MB each time the game loads... I'm going to try and see if Valgrind helps at all but I'm pretty sure you are doing some special things with pointers somewhere! ;)

I've also made some PENJIN_GL related fixes which are not really much to do with this project as yet...

Why not make a new thread with an update OP, so we can find big updates in one place?

Don't even know where OP poster went.

Back