Pandora Pandora Panic

I personally love the tracks. The win/lose are nice and short and to the point.
The Title music is a lot more fun and loops perfectly.

I would definitely use both the win/lose music as a pair. But since we have existing music, I would like to hear what others think, since this is a community involved project.

Well I'm going to try to tidy things up for another update tonight, fingers crossed. I'm going to also try to allocate more time since we are getting closer to Pandora release.
I think we could use another few minigames and a lick of paint/music here and there... so I hoping we can all pull a little bit more time out of our ... um... hats. Let's get this game setting a benchmark for community involvement and collaboration. :)
I also want to ask either Craigix or ED if it would be possible to get this preloaded with launch Pandoras (either on the Pandora or bundled on the apps cd), which would be great for all our efforts, but obviously we need a "polished" game.

I think the loop is brilliant! And the effects are great too. I wish I knew how to do music and decent sound effects.

I'd love it or something similar for my Reword game I'm currently reworking for the Pan. I dumped the MOD music I had on the GP2X as I'm finding it too difficult to implement the mikmod library properly now. An OGG would be easily used though.

So pferguso, any chance of a title score (loop) that would go with a word puzzle game ?

Thanks
Al

I've got an idea for a minigame that I could probably make fairly easily once I have time, which might not be for another two weeks or so (end of the semester).

To the author of the pong minigame: My idea is basically an extension of pong where you have to control 4 paddles (all four sides of the screen) and keep the ball in bounds. Would you mind if I used your code for your pong minigame and extended it for the minigame I've got in mind?

PokeParadox said:
I personally love the tracks. The win/lose are nice and short and to the point.
The Title music is a lot more fun and loops perfectly.

I would definitely use both the win/lose music as a pair. But since we have existing music, I would like to hear what others think, since this is a community involved project.
For the title music of course "the best submission will win" and be at least the default (if the alternates are even included), but is there any real reason to just have one set of win/lose tracks? I personally would prefer to have it cycle through a few different tunes to indicate win/loss, just so it isn't *the* *same* *tune* *every* *time*. Obviously there are bloat issues, but I doubt the 1 - 3 second (haven't listened to them, guessing at the duration) music tracks will bloat the application significantly, even if there are dozens of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
PurplePup said:
I think the loop is brilliant! And the effects are great too. I wish I knew how to do music and decent sound effects.

I'd love it or something similar for my Reword game I'm currently reworking for the Pan. I dumped the MOD music I had on the GP2X as I'm finding it too difficult to implement the mikmod library properly now. An OGG would be easily used though.

So pferguso, any chance of a title score (loop) that would go with a word puzzle game ?

Thanks
Al
Hi Al,

If you have a demo, video, or some screenshots of your puzzle game, send them to me, and I'll see what I can do. I would prefer to donate to projects where the game is actually working, so I don't send any work into oblivion. You understand, don't you?

azmodean said:
For the title music of course "the best submission will win" and be at least the default (if the alternates are even included), but is there any real reason to just have one set of win/lose tracks? I personally would prefer to have it cycle through a few different tunes to indicate win/loss, just so it isn't *the* *same* *tune* *every* *time*. Obviously there are bloat issues, but I doubt the 1 - 3 second (haven't listened to them, guessing at the duration) music tracks will bloat the application significantly, even if there are dozens of them.
You make a very valid point... having several Win/Lose music tracks would keep things varied... good call. The problem with the current losing music is: while the tone is right, the music needs shortening to fit nicely...
But anything submitted to this game... we will try to use it somehow! Like I say even if we have to collage it into the credits screen! :)

Just a question, are those 8 games listed on the PandoraPanic wiki the only games there is so far? If its a matter of coming up with ideas I can toss some out for it though I can't code them or anything since I've never done anything like that. That is unless someone would like to help me with it so I can get into making a few by myself.

As for the music, Pferguso's is great and I like idea of having more than just one set of victory and loss clips.

Vorporeal said:
I've got an idea for a minigame that I could probably make fairly easily once I have time, which might not be for another two weeks or so (end of the semester).

To the author of the pong minigame: My idea is basically an extension of pong where you have to control 4 paddles (all four sides of the screen) and keep the ball in bounds. Would you mind if I used your code for your pong minigame and extended it for the minigame I've got in mind?
That would be me. I don't mind at all but I also really don't recommend it. That was my first bash at anything in C++ let alone a game. It's a bit of a disaster even if it is commented. :)

TheBrainSquid said:
Just a question, are those 8 games listed on the PandoraPanic wiki the only games there is so far? If its a matter of coming up with ideas I can toss some out for it though I can't code them or anything since I've never done anything like that. That is unless someone would like to help me with it so I can get into making a few by myself.
Just chuck them out. I offered before if anyone had any ideas and so far the only applicant has an idea that would suit the iphone better and that I have no idea how to get started on. :)

I also don't mind helping you out, just be warned that I don't actually know what I'm doing.

Miggles said:
Vorporeal said:

That would be me. I don't mind at all but I also really don't recommend it. That was my first bash at anything in C++ let alone a game. It's a bit of a disaster even if it is commented. :)

Alright, I'll see if there's anything I can improve when I write my game. I've got C and Java experience (so C++ should be pretty easy), so maybe I can do some tweaks and improvements.

I guess I could help in the art department. I don't have much of a gallery... You can find a few sketches and vectors for a game here, here, and here.
EDIT: I also may have made the website for the last few examples by hand (besides the forum and wiki code and yes I know the forum style is still a little buggy). I am sometimes a perfectionist though so be warned

Miggles said:
Just chuck them out. I offered before if anyone had any ideas and so far the only applicant has an idea that would suit the iphone better and that I have no idea how to get started on. :)

I also don't mind helping you out, just be warned that I don't actually know what I'm doing.

Haha, yeah, help would be nice. I also just remembered I have a friend going to college for programming since he wants to work in videogame creation and he said he'd help me too. I'm going to try those Lazy Foo tutorials someone else was linked to on here and if I get in a snag I'll ask you for advice.

As for ideas, I'll get a list made and message them to you. Thanks again

OK I have made updates, downloads can be found on the wikipage

Some updates include:
Fixed transparent colour detection (I still need to add manual overides though)
Fixed rotations of sprites and AnimatedSprites (Thanks Alex!)
Particles fading now works
new music by pferguso (you can decide what we should keep, etc I like this title music :D)
Penjin now only uses Fixed point if #define PENJIN_FIXED is set

It should be noted that many fixes have introduced incompatibilities with the sample Penjin3D projects, this is because these projects expected the behaviour of the broken code :p.

EDIT: adamorjames: Please add yourself as a volunteer on the wiki! It stops you getting lost in the thread :)

Wow!

I downloaded the new setup: it looks and sounds great!

(Yes, the sounds now work for me... maybe something to do with upgrading to the new Ubuntu release last night? Who knows?)

Thanks to many, especially Poke, for all your work. I had to adjust a couple things to get it to build:
  • #include "agroState.h" instead of "AgroState.h"
  • create a concrete StateCredits::clear() method

That pong game is pretty tough to beat!

The boxing game (Agro?) is pretty funny/random. It doesn't fill up the whole screen. (Did I miss the discussion of it here? I don't see anything on the last couple pages of the thread.)

My game (BadVista) is taking input entirely too fast. Is there a toolkit-way to slow down how frequently userInput() is run? Or do I just need to set an appropriate timer and throttle it myself?

I need to contact one of those music guys on the Wiki and get some sound effects going. And, someday, get back to work on the rhythm game a couple of us started.

Thanks again for all the work PokeParadox -- and community! :)

--Todd

todd said:
Thanks to many, especially Poke, for all your work. I had to adjust a couple things to get it to build:
  • #include "agroState.h" instead of "AgroState.h"
  • create a concrete StateCredits::clear() method
The boxing game (Agro?) is pretty funny/random. It doesn't fill up the whole screen. (Did I miss the discussion of it here? I don't see anything on the last couple pages of the thread.)

My game (BadVista) is taking input entirely too fast. Is there a toolkit-way to slow down how frequently userInput() is run? Or do I just need to set an appropriate timer and throttle it myself?

I need to contact one of those music guys on the Wiki and get some sound effects going. And, someday, get back to work on the rhythm game a couple of us started.

Thanks again for all the work PokeParadox -- and community! :)

--Todd

I just keep tweaking stuff here and there, and fixing bugs that are pointed out... it's nothing really. :)
  • Ah seems one of those naming descrepencies sneaked past... I thought I had them all...
  • Actually if you just remove it from the StateCredits.h listing it's better, since the function isn't used/needed.
Both of these will be fixed for next release(and also apologies that I'm not checking this in Xubuntu currently)

I like the idea of the boxing game, although I think it needs to be made harder... possibly. And I'm unsure why it doesn't fill the screen. If it is not updated, I'll have to centre the images and do a black fill.
Discussion starts here.

I've tried a couple of things that I would do myself... but they don't work, so yes I would suggest you wrap a Timer around your angle increment.

Yes the Wiki is proving to be useful, especially for this project. And people are actually updating it which is great! :D

Well the real thank you for all of us is if we can get this included on the Launch Pandora's software disc. I had a few words with ED and he says it's "basically possible" so come on people we have a game to make! :lol:

PokeParadox said:
You make a very valid point... having several Win/Lose music tracks would keep things varied... good call.
FWIW, BadVista, once I find a willing musician, will provide its own losing music. It might be desirable to have a way that a minigame could specify its own winning/losing music or even specify none.

Edit: While I'm spouting off ideas of work for other people to do :D I thought I'd mention a couple more. I recall one of the games prompting me with which button to press. It suggested the "A" button. I had no idea how that mapped onto my computer keyboard. But I'm assuming it will be configured correctly for the game. So two things that would be pretty nice as we try to integrate with the Pandora hardware:

1. Stub implementations of input methods looking for button presses from Pandora hardware. Like the A/B/X/Y & shoulder buttons and whatever else (direction/nubs?). That way all the games could use these and, once he has hardware, PokeParadox could redefine the methods to use the actual hardware buttons. (Please excuse me if I totally misunderstand the abstraction here.) I think I've hinted at this before. I still haven't written any code for it, though!

1a. While on that topic, are the games doing a pretty good job of using the same default "fire" button? I'm pretty sure BadVista matches up with SpaceInvaders since I used that as a model. I forget if the slot machine game used the same one as well. Maybe there should be some explicit guidance on this front on the Wiki.

2. One of the games (I forget which and do not have access to them right now) popped up a subtle little prompt suggesting which button I should use. Just a little circular icon with the letter "A" inside. That was quite excellent. This is no Atari 2600 with but a single button. The Pandora is covered with buttons! Wouldn't it be great if there was a little library in the engine to make it easy for all of us to pop up those same icons in order to prompt the user about how to use our applications? I would imagine this would be fairly easy since someone has already basically done it in one of the games.

I'm good at asking other people to do my work for me sharing ideas, aren't I?

--Todd

CODE
"Distracted Math", //arrrgh I need to put an S on the end >_<

that's not my code :p

But really, maths? i'm not native english so please tell me if it sounds better.

Cheers!

todd said:
PokeParadox said:
You make a very valid point... having several Win/Lose music tracks would keep things varied... good call.
FWIW, BadVista, once I find a willing musician, will provide its own losing music. It might be desirable to have a way that a minigame could specify its own winning/losing music or even specify none.

Edit: While I'm spouting off ideas of work for other people to do :D I thought I'd mention a couple more. I recall one of the games prompting me with which button to press. It suggested the "A" button. I had no idea how that mapped onto my computer keyboard. But I'm assuming it will be configured correctly for the game. So two things that would be pretty nice as we try to integrate with the Pandora hardware:

1. Stub implementations of input methods looking for button presses from Pandora hardware. Like the A/B/X/Y & shoulder buttons and whatever else (direction/nubs?). That way all the games could use these and, once he has hardware, PokeParadox could redefine the methods to use the actual hardware buttons. (Please excuse me if I totally misunderstand the abstraction here.) I think I've hinted at this before. I still haven't written any code for it, though!

1a. While on that topic, are the games doing a pretty good job of using the same default "fire" button? I'm pretty sure BadVista matches up with SpaceInvaders since I used that as a model. I forget if the slot machine game used the same one as well. Maybe there should be some explicit guidance on this front on the Wiki.

2. One of the games (I forget which and do not have access to them right now) popped up a subtle little prompt suggesting which button I should use. Just a little circular icon with the letter "A" inside. That was quite excellent. This is no Atari 2600 with but a single button. The Pandora is covered with buttons! Wouldn't it be great if there was a little library in the engine to make it easy for all of us to pop up those same icons in order to prompt the user about how to use our applications? I would imagine this would be fairly easy since someone has already basically done it in one of the games.

Being able to pick a losing music out of the randomly selected is a good feature and doable too... hmmm I haven't added the random music yet, however.

1. Yeah... I want to adapt and extend the GP2X Joystick class to do this, Skeezix also recommend I start this since the SDL libs don't have this sorted yet. I'm trying to think ho to do this which will work for people without a USB joystick...

1a. Generally yes. There are a few discrepancies... We do need to think about an Pandora Joystick handler of sorts, then everyone is on the same page. It doesn't make much sense to tell everyone to use button Z or button X on the keyboard, since it's just a test version for now... Everyone needs to use the same button when the Pandora Joystick class is written, however.

2. If someone can provide me with nice button images, then it's possible. The less art assets I have to make myself keeps me coding instead. (I can make images, but it takes me way longer to get the results I want...) I also want to create a general Button mapper, I got a headache on my last attempt at this though.

MarkoeZ said:
But really, maths? i'm not native english so please tell me if it sounds better.
Sorry it's just a case of British English vs American English... lol.
For me, as a Brit, it makes more sense to say "Maths" as it is a truncation of the word Mathematics. It doesn't make much difference but I obviously have a British bias... you know, being English and all...

PokeParadox said:
For me, as a Brit, it makes more sense to say "Maths" as it is a truncation of the word Mathematics. It doesn't make much difference but I obviously have a British bias... you know, being English and all...
The British usage is always superior. :ph34r:

todd said:
PokeParadox said:
The British usage is always superior. :ph34r:

+1

Back