Pandora Pandora Pong

Nightwheel said:
dflemstr said:
Ever heard of Plasma Pong (they got a CaD not long ago so you won't find them online any longer)?
They basically combined fluid dynamics with Pong, very interesting.

Video where a player owns the AI

So:
1. Why not implement some gimmick like that to make the game play more non-linear?
2. Why not rename your game so that you don't get a CaD too?
What do you mean you can't find the game online? Just go here: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

make sure to download it from their site, not plasma pong's.
Please remove that link. I think that we all know how to find the game online if we need it, but since it's illegal to own in some countries now because of trademark issues, it's as illegal to link to it as it is to link to roms (at least as long as it is "marketed" as "pong")

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here are some of my humble ideas on possible names:
  • Pingball (Especially in case you will build in gameplay mechanics that can be found in pinball games.)
  • pOFFg
  • Ping-Kong
  • Ping-Anaae (Ping Is Not ponG. And Not An Acronym Either.) :rolleyes: :)

dflemstr said:
Please remove that link. I think that we all know how to find the game online if we need it, but since it's illegal to own in some countries now because of trademark issues, it's as illegal to link to it as it is to link to roms (at least as long as it is "marketed" as "pong")

Would gratis games, like plasma pong, necessarily be in the same market and in competition with trademarked games like Pong(tm)? (I know nothing about trademark law.) Wouldn't the markets for the two be sufficiently different to not be competitive? I don't even know if the term "market" applies in any meaningful way when compared between the two.

No idea if it featured in any previous remakes, but how about the longer the ball is in play it gathers a 'charge' represented by a growing 'glow' (black & white, natch) and increased old-stylee CRT trace effect. When it reaches it's peak, you could either have a double penalty for a miss, or the option for 'discharging' it's power on your bat in the form of a sudden burst of speed - or a crazy trajectory!

Gruso said:
Things like a set of tenpins in the middle, some Space Invaders style aliens etc.

Sacrilege, unless of course they are monochrome arcade references, so I would propose - Pongsteroids.
Asteroids drifting across the Pong playfield, broken up by - and deflecting - your ball (no harm to your bat. It'd be essential that the Combination Vector and CRT afterglow traces were implemented for 'authenticity'.

Plain Vanilla classic mode should be there too!

Asmo said:
Plain Vanilla classic mode should be there too!

This reminded me of a meme.

No items!
No bonuses!
Normal bats only!
Final destination.

Lunatic said:
dflemstr said:

Would gratis games, like plasma pong, necessarily be in the same market and in competition with trademarked games like Pong(tm)? (I know nothing about trademark law.) Wouldn't the markets for the two be sufficiently different to not be competitive? I don't even know if the term "market" applies in any meaningful way when compared between the two.
Since the Plasma Pong site was taken down because of legal issues, I guess so.

Look at it this way. You're Porche, and you sell cars. Someone else is giving away cars with Porche badges on them. Might this affect your sales and/or trademarks? Some would think not, but Porche would tend to view the risk as too high.

wow - cool sounding Pong project. How about naming it This Aint No ponG (or TANG)?

I'm thinking TRAZ(C64) style stuff...

Bats on any wall (ball touches wall behind the bat your out)
Even bats on the same wall (was co-op, but ...)

So - have a rotatable playfield, or switchable bat positions.
Most of the other weirdness was about knocking bricks, so no ideas there about invisi-balls, curvy paths and diffraction blocks!!

How about persistent ball and bat traces to confuse the player

Sorry about the silence over the holidays; I still intend to keep working on this project. Also I am feel some trepidation in attempting to write networking code before I have an actual unit in which to test it. Hopefully I will manage to implement some of the extra features that came up in this thread soon, and also to make the graphics look nice enough for screenshots to be worth the effort.

Anyway, just a small status update and reaffirmation that I haven't given up or anything. If there are anymore ideas out there I would like to hear them!

crysnamtodshire said:
Sorry about the silence over the holidays; I still intend to keep working on this project. Also I am feel some trepidation in attempting to write networking code before I have an actual unit in which to test it. Hopefully I will manage to implement some of the extra features that came up in this thread soon, and also to make the graphics look nice enough for screenshots to be worth the effort.

Anyway, just a small status update and reaffirmation that I haven't given up or anything. If there are anymore ideas out there I would like to hear them!

Are you using an analog nub to control the paddles? If so, maybe you could use the other nub to control the paddle's angle somehow? Maybe a powerup?

I'm currently addicted of shatter on the ps3. Always wondered why they didn't add pong-like multiplayer. Allowing the player who touched the ball last to manipulate the curve sounds like a lot of fun to me. Not to mention what coop-gameplay could add to an arkanoid-like.

B-ZaR said:
Are you using an analog nub to control the paddles? If so, maybe you could use the other nub to control the paddle's angle somehow? Maybe a powerup?
That would kill single-pandora multiplayer.

Btw: when thinking of pong, it's a shame the nubs don't work like a poti for the perfect retro-feeling.

conso said:
B-ZaR said:
That would kill single-pandora multiplayer.

Btw: when thinking of pong, it's a shame the nubs don't work like a poti for the perfect retro-feeling.

Oh, very true. How about one axis for position and the other for angle? Could be awkward though.

I guess a rounded paddle would do the job quite well and be intuitive.

conso said:

I had been thinking of adding in a control mode where you have to rotate the nub for a "true retro feeling™" just as a joke.

How about some incredible particle effects, a la Vektar/Geometry Wars, etc?

EDIT: Like this: http://www.fun-motion.com/physics-games/plasma-pong/

Perhaps have little balls(particles, orbs, whatever) floating around the field and you can collect them by hitting them with the ball during play, and they can be used for points or spent on power-ups or additional modes/bonuses?

Back