Sales Pandora price hike?

Sugar_Kane

Could crush a grape
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. I recently got myself a pre-order and was sent an email by Jacquelyn confirming that the GBP price would be £266.20. I believe the original price was £199 and I was wondering if this was now the actual cost of the unit, and if that meant that everyone that has a pre-order will be expected to make up the rest of the money, or is this a new higher price just for people taking up the last few available slots?

Sugar_Kane said:
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. I recently got myself a pre-order and was sent an email by Jacquelyn confirming that the GBP price would be £266.20. I believe the original price was £199 and I was wondering if this was now the actual cost of the unit, and if that meant that everyone that has a pre-order will be expected to make up the rest of the money, or is this a new higher price just for people taking up the last few available slots?
Well, it's possible that there have been changes due to the exchange rate (remember, this is being mostly produced in the USA). It doesn't seem like that would account for as much as £67, though. Maybe someone else can clarify this?

1) The original price was 199 GBP because 199 GBP was 330 USD. 330 USD is now 216 GBP
2) as has been mentioned, VAT covers the rest. Not to worry, us non-Europeans will have our taxes applied too, once it ships. Lousy import tax.

I've done the calculations and $330 is £217.46 at the moment, add VAT at 15% and you get £250. As postage is separate from the price, that doesn't explain the extra £16. I guess it's not really an amount to lose sleep over but I really am wondering if everyone will be expected to pay this price or will the original pre-orders be locked at the original price? This could mean alot of already disgruntled people turning into the incredible hulk when they are told that their spanking new pandora will be released to them when they pay the extra £67.

Sugar_Kane said:
I've done the calculations and $330 is £217.46 at the moment, add VAT at 15% and you get £250. As postage is separate from the price, that doesn't explain the extra £16. I guess it's not really an amount to lose sleep over but I really am wondering if everyone will be expected to pay this price or will the original pre-orders be locked at the original price? This could mean alot of already disgruntled people turning into the incredible hulk when they are told that their spanking new pandora will be released to them when they pay the extra £67.
Maybe its the shipping price or certain accessories included.

Sugar_Kane said:

£266 was the price when the dollar was at 1.40 ish i.e. (330*1.15)/1.43

Once they've received your money, your order is locked in.

If you didn't order, and your dollar went to shit (so now you have to pay 30% more), that's your fault. :p

Shipping was $19 for me. Unless you guys have cheap shipping, that doesn't seem that far off..?

The Import tax comments in this thread confuse me...I live in the US. does this mean when the Pandora ships out I will have to come up with MORE money!? And wait even longer to pay that and receive my Pandora!? If so I am quite upset as I have lost my job (and there really aren't any out there in my physical condition to get due to our economic collapse and the loss of about 1/2 million jobs a month) I'd hate to think that I wil have to let my Pandora sit somewhere for months while I try to get some extra cash. As it stands now I don't even have money for a new SDHC card and will have to rely on my 1gb SD card alone. No mention of extra fee's were given at the time of order, just that I should wait for shipping confirmation via email. I tired looking this up via Google but it sounds like OP would have to declare and schedule the import properly to keep costs down so I don't even know If I am reading the right thing...
I have only ordered from overseas once, by credit card with comparable shipping cost to Pandora and never had any additional fees. So is this in the shipping cost already then?
Thanks for any clarification.

You'll have to get a response from Craig or Chip, but the last I heard Pandoras for North American customers would be distributed from the US.

Poem58 said:
The Import tax comments in this thread confuse me...I live in the US. does this mean when the Pandora ships out I will have to come up with MORE money!?
No mention of extra fee's were given at the time of order, just that I should wait for shipping confirmation via email. I tired looking this up via Google but it sounds like OP would have to declare and schedule the import properly to keep costs down so I don't even know If I am reading the right thing...
I have only ordered from overseas once, by credit card with comparable shipping cost to Pandora and never had any additional fees. So is this in the shipping cost already then?
Thanks for any clarification.
Speaking as someone who frequently orders from overseas (although I am in the UK, not the USA), knowing about these taxes and what the limits for importing goods for personal use in one's country are, is usually the responsibility of the buyer by my understanding of it. This would likely be why this was not mentioned. This tends to be how importing goes. :p

Of course, if fischju recalls correctly, my rambling above is moot. :p

When I discussed this with Craig a few months ago, the plan was to distribute everything from the UK. As far as I know that is still the plan.

I can't speak for other countries, but in the US, my experience with customs fees has always been hit and miss. I've had products shipped from Europe and Asia many times, any I've only actually been dinged for customs fees twice. Once was for a ~$400 item, and the customs fee was ~$35. This was several years ago, so the fees may be different now.

Shipping fees are usually the responsibility of the person doing the shipping. If we've already paid for our product then the price we paid should cover the product itself. Between the GP32, the GP2X and several import games the only time I ever got charged anything other than the product price was on my credit card statements for ordering overseas to the US.

Shipping fees and customs fees are two totally separate entities. The seller is responsible for the shipping fees, sure, but customs fees fall on the purchaser. No one even knows what the fees will be until the receiving agent in the destination country receives it. Maybe they'll take it at face value and apply standard tax. Maybe they consider it a luxury expense and apply an extra fee. Maybe it's a unique commodity and no customs fee will be applied. My neighbour and I could order the exact same item at the exact same time: he could pay one fee and I'll pay a different one, dependent totally upon who inspects the package.
Having ordered a lot of stuff across the border, I've only been hit with customs charges twice, so it's a hit or miss whether it'll happen when the Pandora ships.

I'm in the US, and I've bought items from overseas several times via eBay (mostly Hong Kong and Japan), and never had to pay any fees. I don't think there was anything over $50 or so, though.

Theyre normally labelled gift. so they sneak past customs unnoticed. i've paid customs once and was charged about £20 :/ not a nice surprise... also had to go to the post depot with the surley looking post workers... the glass is there at the counter so they cant spit at you... :wacko:

I was told yesterday that all customs would be paid for in the £7 delivery charge... though i'm in the UK so idont know how it effects you guys.

If you're in the UK or indeed anywhere within the EU there are no customs fees / taxes since the goods are shipping from the UK to another EU destination. If the orders to the rest of the world also ship from the UK then you are liable for local tax / duty* if the package is inspected. This is not the supplier's liability, it's all down to your local customs & postal people.
Worth noting too, that if the package is sent by regular mail carrier, you are less likely to have it intercepted - if the package is sent by courier (UPS, DHL FedEx etc.) it is automatically declared in the destination country and you will have to pay the additional costs either on receipt or shortly after (they send you a bill).

Different countries have different maximum allowances, so if you had a previous item of a modest value ($50 for example) get through despite a full value declaration form on it, this may be because it fell below the threshold for duty and tax.

* Duty fees also depend on the category of goods involved - clothing, food, books, electronics and so on will have different tariffs.

For anyone in Australia, you shouldn't have to worry about import taxes. As per the Australian Government Customs site ( http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549 ), All goods (except for tobacco products and alcoholic beverages) may be imported duty and tax free if their value is $1,000 or less. I bought almost all the extras and my final cost was $600AUD, so unless you're getting two or more with a bunch of extras you'll be fine. :)

Back