Pandora Price Increase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kangal said:
Maybe they increased the price to make it seem like its value is increasing, cause the OPT just saw the Sony NGP (aka PSP2).

@_@ (that thing is mental, here's hoping it has hdmi out and at least 5.5hr battery life)
No it is just that unless you sell millions of units using Chinese slave labor to make them, costs of production will be higher. It is the economy of scale and that is just the way it is for small production type things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iorgy77 said:
You can't have a salami sandwich if they run out of salami and have to wait for a salami delivery. Besides the fact I already paid for the salami and bread used In the other guys sandwich.

Also I might add that in no way are these new premium pandoras paying 2/3 more than I paid. Due to currency fluctuations and the refund/international bank transfer fiasco I have paid around $50AUD less than these new orders.

You'd prefer not to let the other guy cut in and the deli goes bust and you have no sandwich and or no chance of the improved mega sandwich later down the line?

The way I see it, he holds my money for two and a half years promising that the device will come really soon, and now when my turn finally comes, he tells me that he prefers to sell the deivce to someone who has not paid yet, so I can wait more.

But then, I already know that he is a liar, so I am not surprised.

Just remember that for every person who pays a premium, this will pay for 2 or 3 workers for a day. So if this doubles production for a day, you may be pushed back by 1 order, but brought forward by 50-100(depending on how many pandoras get built in that time).
It's not like Craig is doing this just because he likes money. Craig has been saying for years that the price would have to be increased and he's investing the extra back into production, so he's not just pocketing the difference at the moment, he's actually using the extra money to make sure you get your pandora faster.
So stop bitching. Yes, someone jumped infront of you in the queue, but that is someone who will make you get your pandora even faster, minus 1 order.

Iorgy77 said:
How can you get something faster if it is being sold off to someone else under your nose and then you remain in the queue? Its like going to a deli and taking a ticket and then the shop assistants friend comes in and jumps the queue. YOU DO NOT GET YOUR SALAMI FASTER! :p
It's nothing like that! It's like the price of salami has gone up for new customers, but as a side-effect the exclusive early members (who unfortunately have a longer queue) get two people serving them, instead of one.
The only real concern is parts, but we know that batch 2 parts were ordered some time ago, and I've never seen any statement to say that the second batch has sold out, so there should be more than enough to cater for the new and original orders.

There is a second, and extremely important, point. If you want a Pandora and you want to see the community continue to expand, then you NEED the community to grow, and you NEED Open Pandora to stay in business. This means making a profit from their current investment and Craig seems to have found a way to do this.

Anyone who hasn't done so should read the original thread and focus on Craigs comments. He is very concerned with providing the original preorderers with their units as fast as he possibly can and seemed genuinely touched by the level of support from most people.

aq21 said:
The way I see it, he holds my money for two and a half years promising that the device will come really soon, and now when my turn finally comes, he tells me that he prefers to sell the deivce to someone who has not paid yet, so I can wait more.

But then, I already know that he is a liar, so I am not surprised.
I can understand why it looks that way, but seriously read the details in Craigs posts on the original thread. He has been (uncharacteristically) talkative and open with the details. The main point is that production can be doubled with a small increase in manpower and the extra profit keeps OP in business.

If, for example, OP can currently make 50 units per day. The extra money will allow them to make 100 per day instead. If 25 are then kept aside for new orders, 75 are now going to pre-orderers and everyone gets their Pandora faster. As long as the parts are available then this is a great idea.

Honestly, as a pre-orderer, I feel like I have got an incredible product at an amazing price, in return for my early investment.

For some reason, people just sometimes need to complain about stuff. If they don't have something to complain about, then they'll complain about the lack of complaining-material. Other people will complain about the complaining on all the non-complainable stuff going on.

Come on people....if you have to wait a few days more, so that a proper assembly crew can be paid that speeds up the entire building process for the 2500 people behind you in the queue.....don't complain...

OpenPandora team is doing everything possible now to get those units shipped after all the production issues have been solved.

Looks to me like we're only moments away from the passing of the Kool-Aid.

Lozrus said:
If, for example, OP can currently make 50 units per day. The extra money will allow them to make 100 per day instead.
Actually craig said in the other forums that this would go from ~70 to >150 / day.

Been following this primarily on the official forums, but the way I see it, other people get their units before you, but you get your unit before you too... If you get what I mean.

This all makes me smile :)

I've pretty much given up on getting my Pandora this side of the heat-death of the universe. If, by some miracle it does arrive, then...well, I reckon I reckon I'll be at the same temperature as every other particle in the universe.

Please suprise me!

Asmo said:

You want ice with yours? ;)

Miner49er said:
This all makes me smile :)

I've pretty much given up on getting my Pandora this side of the heat-death of the universe. If, by some miracle it does arrive, then...well, I reckon I reckon I'll be at the same temperature as every other particle in the universe.

Please suprise me!

...so if it arrives, you'll drop to ~2 kelvin...

vadsamoht said:
Actually craig said in the other forums that this would go from ~70 to >150 / day.
My numbers were just an example, so the reality is even better :)

vadsamoht said:
Been following this primarily on the official forums, but the way I see it, other people get their units before you, but you get your unit before you too... If you get what I mean.
I do, just. And I agree that the original thread is by far the best way to follow this. It is easy to take this the wrong way, but if you pay attention to the details then it is obvious that the intentions are good and the outcome is better for everyone.

If this is useful to anyone, there's now a summary: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/1294-instant-pandoras-the-summary-read-first/

Just linking it as I know that not everyone is on the other forum.

Lozrus said:
I can understand why it looks that way, but seriously read the details in Craigs posts on the original thread. He has been (uncharacteristically) talkative and open with the details. The main point is that production can be doubled with a small increase in manpower and the extra profit keeps OP in business.

If, for example, OP can currently make 50 units per day. The extra money will allow them to make 100 per day instead. If 25 are then kept aside for new orders, 75 are now going to pre-orderers and everyone gets their Pandora faster. As long as the parts are available then this is a great idea.

Honestly, as a pre-orderer, I feel like I have got an incredible product at an amazing price, in return for my early investment.

Your problem is that you believe what craigix says, which is an obvious mistake.

The truth is: a few years ago the Pandora was supposed to be produced in the Texas factory. When they decided to produce by themselves, in order to cut costs, we were told that it would not cause delays. maybe someone even believed that.

Only 3000 cases arrived in England. More are (maybe) on the way. If some arrive before the 3000 are used, no problem. If not, then any extra sold now will cause someone who paid a long time ago to wait even longer. Since supposedly about 1600 cases were used, 1400 remain, which are only 9 working days at 150/day.

If craigix sells now with a promise of one week delivery, it means he has Pandoras ready to ship, not that he plans to send those he builds next week. It means that some who paid on the first day will have to wait a few days/weeks longer, instead of having their Pandoras already shipped.

I can agree that it is quite unfair. <_< Then again, I skipped the queue by buying my Pandora from someone, but at least I didn't delay someone else's Pandora.

This all seems pretty desperate. It's a bit of a kick in the balls for the people that patiently waited for years (yes it is a kick in the balls, stop pretending it's not!), but after so much other bullshit I guess I don't see much of a choice. It seems like a decent way to get a quick injection of money and get a few more devices out on the market come hell or high water. But Craigix made a comment that the pre-order price was too low and he was selling them at a loss... does that mean that the price will go up for all Pandoras after this? I hope not... if this is the actual long-term Pandora price, that sounds like the final nail in the coffin to me. Or maybe they're hoping that economies of scale will bring the price back down again? One thing's for sure, with all the new toys around the corner this is an awful time for the Pandora to put its price up. :unsure:

coldfis said:
Asmo said:

You want ice with yours? ;)

If I forego Ice and take a twist of lemon and a teeny umbrella instead, can I jump the line?

Iorgy77 said:
You can't have a salami sandwich if they run out of salami and have to wait for a salami delivery. Besides the fact I already paid for the salami and bread used In the other guys sandwich.

But we have the Salami, we are just missing guys who make the sandwich!
And to pay them, the instant-Pandoras have been created, so the Salami won't lie around until it stinks but will also be built into new sandwiches :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back