Pandora Printed Manuals - Terminal Commands

mindlord said:
ashdjones said:
Also, Man pages kinda suck.
I have to disagree with you there. Man pages used to be really confusing, but lately they've become more verbose. They are well formatted and have the complete syntax available for (almost) every command that accepts command line options on the system. More detailed documentation is usually available in the /usr/share/doc/ as well if you really need nitty gritty details or links to online documentation. Nothing sucky here, I think.

I just prefer info pages myself B)

Very Linuxy to have more than one standard way of doing things. I hear what you're saying about the improvements to Man pages, but every time I install a new program the Man page says very little... such as a simple description of the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
ashdjones said:
but every time I install a new program the Man page says very little... such as a simple description of the program.
like (making this up) "cd: Change Directory"
when it should say
"cd: Changes directories for you, but it might actually be Chief Directoid! He helps you by guiding you to your desired destination!"
:p
I personally have never used "man (anything)" before..

Kloplop321 said:
"cd: Changes directories for you, but it might actually be Chief Directoid! He helps you by guiding you to your desired destination!"
:p

:eek: I want your version to be true!

ashdjones said:
:eek: I want your version to be true!

I like how on some linux distros when you use "sudo su" or the like, it says "This program has Super Cow Powers!"

Hm, can't believe what I'm reading about man pages. When I grew up with Linux and was in need for help I asked in #linux. Often I got the reply 'man <something>' (ofcourse I asked first and read after) and after awhile I started to like the man pages and before I knew it was the #1 source for me to learn about a command or when I needed help.

r00tw00t said:
Hm, can't believe what I'm reading about man pages. When I grew up with Linux and was in need for help I asked in #linux. Often I got the reply 'man <something>' (ofcourse I asked first and read after) and after awhile I started to like the man pages and before I knew it was the #1 source for me to learn about a command or when I needed help.

The problem is that half of the distros i've tried recently just don't include them. I find the whole concept of it completely sound, it just hasn't worked out in practice.

Kloplop321 said:
I like how on some linux distros when you use "sudo su" or the like, it says "This program has Super Cow Powers!"

That's just APT, the Advanced Packaging Tool, developed by the Debian Project, and it most certainly does have Super Cow Powers:

Code:
mike@quicksilver:~$ apt-get moo
         (__) 
         (oo) 
   /------\/ 
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\ 
    ~~   ~~   
...."Have you mooed today?"...

if your man pages are failing you, type "man <something>" into the address bar of firefox. I think it's just doing an I Feel Lucky search through google, but it's never failed me.

I vastly prefer man pages to info. I've used both over the years. I still tend to end up in the wrong place in info pages, and then it's to start over again. Man is simple.

Back