Pandora Pandora-psp

'borgqueenx' said:
if no one made it for the pc, i think its impossible.

The fact that there is no PSP emulator on the PC doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means nobody has done it yet. JayFox is writing this from scratch, so what does or doesn't already exist isn't really relavant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome work. Are you planning to complete an x86 version, or just using your PC for testing? It sounds like your already further along with an x86 version than just about anyone.

No, this was designed to be a PSP Emulator for the Pandora. It was always designed with that aspect in the back of my head. Whenever possible I used APIs which can be used on the PSP and I contacted ED a few weeks ago to ask for more details but he couldn't really tell me more neither. But so far it looks like I don't have to do any API change in the future. OpenGL was only used in the beginning when I had trouble with the memory exploit I use to simulate the cached memory (IPC - as I said before) and the PowerVR emulator. However, I then upgraded to the Feb 9th (or 10th?) version of the emulator and it works fine with OpenGL ES 2.0. The major changes I had to do have to do with blending (which is completly done in a huge shader now) and textures (because OpenGL doesn't allow 5551 but only 1555).
Also this is not the only emulator for the PSP or anything. There are other emulators for x86 which are stable already:

http://code.google.com/p/pspplayer/
http://code.google.com/p/jpcsp/
http://code.google.com/p/mfzpsp/
http://code.google.com/p/emu-sam/
http://www.soywiz.com/d/pspemulator/

There are even more than that. The best so far is probably pspplayer as its having a dynarec (in a 3rd revision already I think) and it plays some commercial games with almost no problems. The biggest feature missing from pspplayer is the 3D Part of the GU and its written in C# - which can be a positive thing, but it makes porting a pain and the C# framework doesn't work on my PC.
Oh and I m having the emulator running in the background right now: It gets through the crt0 and sits in the main idle loop of /gu/cube/EBOOT.PBP
The only thing missing seem to be 4 float instructions and 5 System Calls - A matter of hours and most GU Samples should work using the emulator.

'borgqueenx' said:
if there is no psp emulator for a pc( usally 2.ghz and 4gb of ram and goes on) i dont think there will be a full speed psp emulator for the pandora.
I just dont believe it. But i would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong. if its going into the right direction(10fps in some psp games) i would even donate the programmer of the emulator to support him, and to make it better :)

A psp emulator for the pandora, and not available for the pc, that would be awesome...but again...if no one made it for the pc, i think its impossible.

Sorry if it sounds like bullshit in your ears...
The emulating is different and easier because there is more the same between the Omap and the PSP chip than between x86 and the PSP chip. That means less emulating and so it runs faster and requires less.

'Mithrildor' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
if there is no psp emulator for a pc( usally 2.ghz and 4gb of ram and goes on) i dont think there will be a full speed psp emulator for the pandora.
I just dont believe it. But i would be very happy if someone could prove me wrong. if its going into the right direction(10fps in some psp games) i would even donate the programmer of the emulator to support him, and to make it better :)

A psp emulator for the pandora, and not available for the pc, that would be awesome...but again...if no one made it for the pc, i think its impossible.

Sorry if it sounds like bullshit in your ears...
The emulating is different and easier because there is more the same between the Omap and the PSP chip than between x86 and the PSP chip. That means less emulating and so it runs faster and requires less.

sounds cool :) im not an expert into coding and didnt know anythign about that. now i know this, i changed my opinion from impossible, to maby.

"sounds cool smile.gif im not an expert into coding and didnt know anythign
about that. now i know this, i changed my opinion from impossible, to maby."

...Good to know I guess....

This is really interesting stuff mate, you're a brave guy attempting this, I hope you get it to the standard that you want. Keep us posted.

'Bramrash' said:
"sounds cool smile.gif im not an expert into coding and didnt know anythign
about that. now i know this, i changed my opinion from impossible, to maby."

...Good to know I guess....
This is really interesting stuff mate, you're a brave guy attempting this, I hope you get it to the standard that you want. Keep us posted.

maby use a other quote :p i think you quoted the wrong person :p

Chip said:
'borgqueenx' said:
if no one made it for the pc, i think its impossible.

The fact that there is no PSP emulator on the PC doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means nobody has done it yet. JayFox is writing this from scratch, so what does or doesn't already exist isn't really relavant.

correct. not to mention the overhead for the pandora emulator vs the normal pc one will be less since it's risc on risc instead of emulating risc on a x86 cisc

just to say, don`t talk about GU stuff, that`s just a plain static library and some games may not use it indeed. The real thing is GE (which has its own .prx file) so it means you only need to emulate GE processor (that is, emulate the GE commands).

I work on JPCSP and especially about everything about Allegrex and VFPU. JPCSP is probably the only emulator to interpret all or at least 99% of instructions including VFPU. There is also a partial bytecode dynarec for a small set of instructions with the rest interpreted. And it can play some commercial games.

Of course, because it is Java we cannot expect great fullspeed but this experience should help us to design a better psp emulator in C++ for Pandora.

Even if it would end up being just a tech demo it is still impressive. Good job. You deserve recognition! :)

sindbad: I m using mono on linux and never tested it on windows, but I don't want to run pspplayer anymore unless it gets a pandora port.

hlide: I m saying GU because I implement the GE commands in batches based on the GU calls. Its just makes debugging a bit easier. But you are right. (If I run into problems I'll make sure to ask you for help :p)

some talented people out there. Lot's seem to be involved in the pandora, good to see.

'Butterman' said:
Actually, I know a guy who developed a game a while back for the PSP. Sony used some kind of wrapper/emulator in their SDK to aid development.

I'll see if I can hit him up.
I think that would help this project allot butter.Good idea!

'JayFoxRox' said:
Butterman: You don't have to. It wouldn't help me at all and I m not interested in the offical SDK. The PSPSDK is great and there is a great community behind it.
Are you sure???I think it help allot.

Thank you JayFoxRox! :D
I suggest you to open a new thread in the development section. Maybe other developers can help you to give us a better emulator! ;)

Interesting, this could be yet another good selling point of the system (and damn good reason to own one). It certainly seems like you know what your doing, so I wish you the best of luck in getting this emulator working well, especially for the GTA games.

Back