Pandora Questions And Answers

Cew27 said:
you are correct i have read these and understand now, but now all i wish to know is how easy will it be to run quake 3 on the pandora? and weather open arena will run on it
Ok, I'll be the first to welcome you to the community with open arms. Please don't get discouraged from the flames. As we're all becoming increasingly eager for this thing to come out, it pains many of us to see new people entering the community and asking the same questions that have been asked countless times before. It will take a little effort, but please understand that we'd all prefer for you to use the search function or even google your questions before posting. If you have a question, chances are, others have had the same. Most of us visit the forums for a chance at some new information, so some become irritable when what's posted is nothing more than once again, the same old questions. Take the effort, do a little digging, and once again...Welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Cew27 said:
you are correct i have read these and understand now, but now all i wish to know is how easy will it be to run quake 3 on the pandora? and weather open arena will run on it
A few people have mentioned porting Quake 3 or ioQuake. (I'm not savvy with Quake versions or development, myself.) Given the excitement about it, I think some type of multiplayer online Quake will be playable. Another dev has spoken about porting a voice chat (teamspeak or something?) as well.

Rather than gravedigging a thread I'll ask here.

Several people have mentioned before that they would like to have Apache / PHP / MySQL, but I could not find any reference to whether or not it might be possible. Does anybody know?

I did try to find what applications were available under Debian ARM/ARMEL but failed miserably. Does anybody have a link to available packages?

I am not looking to set up a full webserver, but there are web applications that can be used for personal productivity such as gtd-php, wikis etc.

TaG said:
Rather than gravedigging a thread I'll ask here.
Several people have mentioned before that they would like to have Apache / PHP / MySQL, but I could not find any reference to whether or not it might be possible. Does anybody know?
It shouldn't be overly complex - LAMP will run on hardware with much lower specs than the Pandora - I'd imagine they'd build out of the box, since they don't have to deal with any specific hardware

Greetings.

There have been several good deals on SD memory lately and I wanted to buy a couple of 8 or 16 gig cards in anticipation of release of the Pandora. I believe I have read here, in the past, that 16 gb would be supported. However, I was hoping that could be confirmed. Also, I have read that some devices have issues with Type 6 memory. Is there any concensus on whether Type 6 will work with the Pandora.

Sorry for the noob question.

Best regards.

:unsure: :lol:

Daryoon said:
Greetings.

There have been several good deals on SD memory lately and I wanted to buy a couple of 8 or 16 gig cards in anticipation of release of the Pandora. I believe I have read here, in the past, that 16 gb would be supported. However, I was hoping that could be confirmed. Also, I have read that some devices have issues with Type 6 memory. Is there any concensus on whether Type 6 will work with the Pandora.

Sorry for the noob question.

Best regards.

:unsure: :lol:

Dunno if it works, but would it not be wiser to wait untill release? prices will probably drop more before then.

Any speed grade will work on Pandora. Whether it will take advantage of that speed grade is currently unknown.

MarkoeZ said:
Dunno if it works, but would it not be wiser to wait untill release? prices will probably drop more before then.
You may be right, I have some old 4 gig cards from other devices (PSP, GP2X, digital camera) and maybe safe rather than sorry? Hmmm. Just getting that "itch" to get ready. It's hard being obsessed with electronics! :D

Daryoon said:

You may be right, I have some old 4 gig cards from other devices (PSP, GP2X, digital camera) and maybe safe rather than sorry? Hmmm. Just getting that "itch" to get ready. It's hard being obsessed with electronics! :D

I know how you feel, im getting a wifi phone this week just to make sure my pandora internet speed will be optimal on the go ;)

edit: fixed quotes

nice topic chip, congrats. it would be great if you posted links or quotes to the questions and answers on your post, but if you cant or are too busy we all will understand.

questions:

can it support a\v in out of the box?

and with an adapter(theres one at deal xtreme usb to av-in)

Zoppe said:
nice topic chip, congrats. it would be great if you posted links or quotes to the questions and answers on your post, but if you cant or are too busy we all will understand.
Nah. This thread is just a catch-all for redundant questions that have been answered several times already. If somebody is too lazy to search for an answer, they're not going to bother to read the first post here either. Why should I put forth that much effort for people who can't be bothered to search? I already have a page of dev updates and the FAQ on the wiki to update, and they're mostly ignored.

questions:
can it support a\v in out of the box?
and with an adapter(theres one at deal xtreme usb to av-in)

No.

Unlikely, but not impossible.

Relevant threads 1 2 3

Quick questions :
1. What audio/video codecs will be supported by Pandora out of the box?
2. What video quality can be expected while still maintaining decent battery life (like lets say 7-8 hours)?

rahulgarg said:
Quick questions :
1. What audio/video codecs will be supported by Pandora out of the box?
2. What video quality can be expected while still maintaining decent battery life (like lets say 7-8 hours)?
http://pandorawiki.org/Pandora#Full_Specs

all codec suported by mplayer (ffmpeg)

------------------------

My question: i can't find good answer to my question, how about the shipping price for customer from another country of distributor (craig, evil...)?

One more question: How easy/hard will it be to connect my pandora to the internet with a mobile phone? Since the bluetooth was added, it`s possible, but drivers/software will of course be needed. So, is someone making any?

-Z- said:
One more question: How easy/hard will it be to connect my pandora to the internet with a mobile phone? Since the bluetooth was added, it`s possible, but drivers/software will of course be needed. So, is someone making any?

Bluez linux stack should be available, providing A2DP.

The price is a bit steep for me, it's in EEEPC territory. Is there a chance the price will drop if it really takes off?

Not likely. They're already practically giving it away. If HTC, Sharp, or Asus were making this device, it would probably retail for at least $599. Openpandora can get away with selling at much lower margins because it's such a tiny company.

Fair enough, What the hell I'll get one if I can, anyone got an email to register my interest in a pre-order?.

I havn't got the newsletter email with the info.

Back