Pandora Should Move To Android

I didn't read all this so ignore this if it's already been answered, but how are the emulators on Android? I gotta think that some are much better than what we have currently. Basically I want Android as an option, but not as the regular OS.

mali said:
Don't you see that users and devs get doubtful? Something what really interests me, do you OPT guys talk about it before someone posts something like this? I feel the urge to post a major majoric über mega rant, but trying my best to suppress it. I don't find the right words, because this is so obviously miles off from reality. You guys manage to step into _every_ freaking cowpat and instead of just walking along you jump up and down in that shit.
Funny dudes.

Full Ack.

I know exactly what you want to say. Of course this is an open forum and everybody can discuss everythink (In theory). But is it really clever to do so in this case and at this juncture?
Nevermind, to quote Gruso I'm "Anti-Pandora" so my post isn't really helpful here... ;)

BTW:
I think you're a great choice as a mod. You're independent and a free and critical mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gruso said:
sbock said:
Nevermind, to quote Gruso I'm "Anti-Pandora" so my post isn't really helpful here... ;)
Ancient history man, I thought we got past it. :)

Sorry dude, only irony... :)

VRAndy said:
Remember : If someone doesn't think OpenPandora should drop what they're doing and change operating systems it's because they "have an issue with Android".

That is the only possible reason to not want this sudden, unexpected change. If someone tries to use logic or rational thought, do not be fooled! They are simply trying to hide the fact that they are hateful and prejudiced against Android for completely crazy reasons. (Probably they were dropped on their head as a child.)
Don't forget, people who don't want this are nazis. Are YOU a nazi?

VRAndy said:
Perhaps instead of assuming everyone who disagrees with you is a complete idiot you could try to understand the debate up to this point.
I don't plan on ever running android on my Pandora. Maybe I'll get a tablet running android if anything tegra-2 based ever appears. I'm not even slightly worried about the current dev community going off and doing android stuff - if they were interested in that, they wouldn't be here now.

Just thinking ... so you get the novelty of being the first Android Game console? What does that give you ... aside from a little recognition.
Are the developers happier? Maybe not.
Are the current users happier? Maybe no change.
More demand for the Pandora? Maybe a little.
Can an increase in demand for the Pandora be satisfied quickly? Nope.

Any new interest in the device will be lost if there is no way to hurry development of the console.

Changing the platform will just hurt your developers ... which are your most important asset right now.

This thread has been good for us, it removed all the bullshit we would have found had we googled 'is android worth our time?'.

Remember this is how we do things, we just ask the forum and see what happens. It's hardly the first time I've just dropped a topic on the forum to see what happens. I might make it a more regular thing, it's interesting.

Pandora debating club.

I do recall similar when the idea of Ubuntu being the in-built OS was kicked around. :p

craigix said:
This thread has been good for us, it removed all the bullshit we would have found had we googled 'is android worth our time?'.

Remember this is how we do things, we just ask the forum and see what happens. It's hardly the first time I've just dropped a topic on the forum to see what happens. I might make it a more regular thing, it's interesting.

Pandora debating club.
It was a great experiment I think; very successful.

But I would recommend that you explicitly state "NOTE: This is only a discussion at this point. Tell someone that it's for real and I'll eat your hamster." the next time.

dflemstr said:
craigix said:

Pandora debating club.
It was a great experiment I think; very successful.

But I would recommend that you explicitly state "NOTE: This is only a discussion at this point. Tell someone that it's for real and I'll eat your hamster." the next time.

That would affect the test results surely? We need a control group.

There are a number of things that I think being able to dual boot into Android would give the Pandora...assuming you could get to the Android Marketplace. (Not sure how that works since I think it's tied to your cell phone somehow.) Flash and all the games that come with it. Non-game apps like the Kindle or other proprietary reader apps. Things of that nature. And. heck, there may even be a guilty "this is a cruddy, simple game, but I play it" or two out there.

Nice as a second boot option - NOT the primary OS. It sounds like the debate is done and Android is out. I don't think it would be worth it if you can't get to the marketplace.

We talk about the "newb" not knowing linux and that is why android is desirable. We also talk about name recognition.

First if they boot into minimenu then it is as easy (maybe easier) than any device out there and with Skeezix adding a gui to the config it will be pretty "newb friendly".

Second I doubt anyone looks at the name of the OS before they buy hardware (well except us here and in that case droid is a negative). They buy it because it does what they want it to. I don't think there will be anyone that will say "Wow I really like the Pandora but it doesn't run droid so I won't buy it". They will also buy it if the games and emus run smooth and for that a low overhead, low bloat OS is needed.

What people will like is that the Pandora doesn't have evil DRM. (that is a big reason to stay away from android).

What will make the Pandora a success is if enough can be built, and if the marketing will be decent (right now that doesn't make sense because there are not enough units), and what stores will stock it.

I'm afraid I don't know why you're quoting me, Dave. :p My comment was referring to Craig's "Remember this is how we do things, we just ask the forum and see what happens. It's hardly the first time I've just dropped a topic on the forum to see what happens.".

EDIT: To make that a bit clearer, I was referring to a large debate thread occurring when Ubuntu was being looked at, way back when.

Well, it would increase the amount of installable software. Not counting the Angstrom or Debian repositories, which currently require a work around.

Back