Pandora solar charging

I'm interested in what you see the downsides of nuclear power are. I see that the disposal or processing of spent fuel can be costly and inefficient, which is why I support the development of thorium reactors in the short-to-mid term, but if you have other objections to uranium, presumably some of those would apply to thorium too?
I don't think Thorium has any real future, around here the only thorium reactor was shut down after after ~420 days under full load at the end of the 80s - too much problems. As far as I know the lastest studies for the norwegian and the british government showed that the orginal expectations (something about 100 metric tons of nuclear fuel beeing enough to provide energy for the whole U.S. for one year) were way too high. I know that there is also the concept MSFRs but afaik they only exist on paper and no one really knows when a test reactor can be ramped up.
Thats the biggest gripe I have with the traditional nuclear power: for more than 50 years a lot of money is poured into this black hole without a proper gain in therms of a less problematic mode of operation or a sensible solution to deal with the remains, instead (at least around here) we hear that its "just" a transitory technology till science has advanced enough for a more "clean" energy production, and we just have to "live through".

And there is also the "usual": nuclear waste problem, proliferation, as with coal/oil/gas - dependency on other countries, evironmental problems due to mining it, etc

People die more from drink and drive than from nuclear power plants :)
While thats hardly a "pro" for nuclear energy, but rather states that most western societies have a problem with "legal drugs" , I understand that its about an unspoken agreement in a society wether the price of a widespread use of a certain technology is too high or not.
Look at France, the majority of their electricity is from nuclear. I haven't heard an issue from France regarding their nuclear power plants.
there are some independent studies about an increase in childrens morbitdity rate (Leukaemia) around nuclear power/reprocessing plants in germany and france

Back