Pandora Storage Space Hd

I'd just like to add a question to this one since it seems it's been answered. Would using two SDHC cards allow for a RAID (forget the number, the one that splits data as it's written) when using a linux OS like Ubuntu, or would be read as two drives or as one? I know if it's read as two it could be set-up that way, but I can't find the info anywhere.

gametaku said:
I'd just like to add a question to this one since it seems it's been answered. Would using two SDHC cards allow for a RAID (forget the number, the one that splits data as it's written) when using a linux OS like Ubuntu, or would be read as two drives or as one? I know if it's read as two it could be set-up that way, but I can't find the info anywhere.
This topic has come up several times in these very forums. The short answer is Yes. The Long answer is there is no benefit in doing so, and quite possibly it will actually be slower than an unraided configuration. The reasoning revolves around the throughput available through SD drives and the very fast seek times don't benefit in the same way that a physical hard drive would from such an arrangement. To sum up, don't bother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally, it would be a completely software-based RAID, thus tying up the processor unnecessarily for every read and write command. Software RAID is supported by Linux, so you're more than welcome to set it up if you wish. But as Mindlord said, it's really not worth the trouble.

Back