Pandora Ubuntu Pabuntu

i was using Ubuntu live cd the other week to test my new computer before installing 7 and played around with it for a good hour but by the end i had it looking just like windows, one task bar with all the same features of the windows bar. theres loads of additional settings. Borg i seriously reccomend loading up the latest live cd on your computer. it doesnt install anything if you boot with the cd in and really gives you a flavour of ubuntu... all be it a little restricted.
i would never soley rely on ubuntu though as i would miss many of the applications i use on windows that i take for granted.

shadow.8 said:
I think you mean upper left...  Or you're talking about KDE...  But either way, I agree, both KDE and Gnome are very easy to use if you are new to linux.
Haven't used a fresh install for years. But I'm sure that it used to default to the lower left like a Start menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
VRAndy said:
shadow.8 said:
I think you mean upper left...  Or you're talking about KDE...  But either way, I agree, both KDE and Gnome are very easy to use if you are new to linux.
Haven't used a fresh install for years. But I'm sure that it used to default to the lower left like a Start menu.
It does in openSUSE and Mint IIRC, but not in Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch, etc. The decision to put the button at the top comes from an usability analysis: the button is easier to access if you can just drag the mouse to a corner and click ("Infinitely sized buttons", read the Gnome HIG for more info) which you can't for tasks on the task bar if you have one panel with the applications button and the Window List applet. Also, the separation makes you change your mindset somewhat (I move up to start new apps, and down to use currently running apps).

Very wise decision imo, but I'm more of a KDE guy anyways so it doesn't matter to me either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back