Pandora Use

A

Anonymous

I would like to buy the Pandora but I would like to know first how well it is for productivity.

I used to use it as my primary ssh terminal for server maintenance at my last job. In many regards it did this job far better than the laptop I used to lug around. After several years of almost daily use I still have trouble remembering where the $ key is though.

I have had issues using office software and usb storage.

Since applications don't have constant permission to access usb devices, some issues can occur when reading and editing document on a usb device.

For example, LibreOffice and Abiword can't access usb devices unless the Pandora is powered on with the storage media connected.

Otherwise, if you try to open a document on a flash drive from within the application, it will read "Failed to execute child process 'gnome-mount' (No such file or directory)".

Well, it runs the full LibreOffice suite which gives you MS Office compatibility on the move.  For email it seems the only option is Claws Mail, which is a fine app (I use it on my desktop computers) but it's not always the prettiest and requires faffing about with plugins to get niceties like html mail.  For PIM stuff there are a few options (I saw a thread on it the other day), but I've not tried any of the apps myself.

For example, LibreOffice and Abiword can't access usb devices unless the Pandora is powered on with the storage media connected.

Otherwise, if you try to open a document on a flash drive from within the application, it will read "Failed to execute child process 'gnome-mount' (No such file or directory)".
I don't really understand when this occurs. Can you explain what you mean by " unless the Pandora is powered on with the storage media connected" ? 

I have to power on my Pandora with the flash drive inserted in order to be able to edit files using Libreoffice.

EDIT: Files already on the flash drive to be more specific.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, that sounds like a bug. We should probably take the discussion to the support forum where we can analyse it properly without cluttering up this thread though.

Don't forget Xournal.

My main tool for university.

It allows you to open PDF files and take notes or highlight passages directly in the PDF.

You may export to PDF then or save as .xoj file which allows you to edit your modifications later (I always save as both file types).

I would like to buy the Pandora but I would like to know first how well it is for productivity.
Some usage scenarios would help here from your side:

Otherwise people like me come up with things like that I ported the custom firmware updater from my previous company onto my Pandora and used it to run around in big workshops to reprogram embedded systems - which was a lot more convenient that dragging a 14" notebook around - which I guess is a rather rare usecase

Pandoras are umpteen times better than a smartphone for productivity on account of their real keyboard and undumbeddownness, but they're still no match for a laptop when it comes to productivity except for convenience and battery life.

If you want a device for coding/word processing/notetaking to carry with you all day, get a pandora

If not, still get a pandora because it and this community can teach you more about computers than any other consumer device/userbase out there.

I'd say the take-everywhereness of the Pandora should be a boon to productivity, since you can be productive even when you're nowhere near a power socket for hours on end.  Trouble is, the screen on my GHz Pandora really isn't all that visible outdoors in anything less than the darkest of cloud (so in general it's either too bright to see, or it's too wet to use).  But if you're travelling in/between cities there are usually enough indoor areas where you can use it effectively.

With great controls and good video game emulators your productivity may suffer. B)

Get a laptop for productivity, I recommend middle-sized ones like the Lenovo S205 as they don't take a lot of weight but still offer a fast system, a reasonably large-sized screen and a very comfortable keyboard, all of which the Pandora cannot compete with. The ~3-5 hours battery life should be enough for most users, and nowadays you can find plugs everywhere.

Get a Pandora if you like playing games though.

/>

Don't forget Xournal.

My main tool for university.

It allows you to open PDF files and take notes or highlight passages directly in the PDF.

You may export to PDF then or save as .xoj file which allows you to edit your modifications later (I always save as both file types).
This would have saved me so much trouble to know when I was working on a project last month.

Back