Pandora Vs Psp

britishj

Still Fresh
Im ordering a pandora and I was just wondering what it has over a hacked psp? Games and emulation wise the psp seams to be better and more capable.

Then why are you ordering a Pandora?

Edit: Up in the right hand corner of this forum is a search bar. It can answer a lot of your questions. You can also use Google to search the forums like this "my search string site:gp32x.de"

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you basing the "emulation wise" statement on? Also look them physically, the differences are as clear as night and day.

britishj said:
Games and emulation wise the psp seams to be better and more capable.

no.

(pandora has a lot more horsepower than psp)

EDIT:

not to mention, that the psp is out for 6 years now and the pandora just for a few weeks. wait half a year and we will have tons of emus and homebrew stuff...

britishj said:
Im ordering a pandora and I was just wondering what it has over a hacked psp? Games and emulation wise the psp seams to be better and more capable.

Well for one the Pandora has a real keyboard which is a huge plus for Amiga and other computer emulation. Dual nubs will be useful for PS1 emulation.

Dixie

Pandora is a full-featured portable computer with gaming controls. Not everyone really wants that, and that's okay!

I'm with Ion: it may not be your bag.

britishj said:
I am not sure what you mean by "more capable"

The Pandora has more RAM a slightly bigger screen, almost 3 times the resolution, more storage with 2X regular SD slots (not that annoying propriatary memory stick)
Keyboard, etc. But it is larger and may not be as user friendly at this stage.

And you can hit diagonals on the D-Pad!
Shoulder pads may not be as good but I haven't used them enough to know for certain yet.

DaveC said:
britishj said:
I am not sure what you mean by "more capable"

The Pandora has more RAM a slightly bigger screen, almost 3 times the resolution, more storage with 2X regular SD slots (not that annoying propriatary memory stick)
Keyboard, etc. But it is larger and may not be as user friendly at this stage.
You forgot the touch screen!

Kicker said:
Pandora is a full-featured portable computer with gaming controls. Not everyone really wants that, and that's okay!

I'm with Ion: it may not be your bag.

It really is. Only a minute ago I was browsing in Firefox with a wireless USB mouse. I like to think of my Pandora as a 'knee top'.

Even in terms of user-friendlyness you can't say the PSP is exactly easy when thinking about emulators and homebrew. If you're basing them off emulation you still have to hack the PSP, etc, and if you're prepared to do that then having a Pandora shouldn't be too crazy hard.

Plus the psp nub is just AWFULLY PLACED!
I frequently have to stop playing on it because I get cramps…

And IIRC sadly, on recent PSP's (Go or 3000 with latest mainboard revisions) it's not yet possible to load a custom firmware to be able to run those emulators.

britishj said:
Im ordering a pandora and I was just wondering what it has over a hacked psp?
How long is a piece of string?

Or: What do you wish to do with your hardware?

XxionxX said:
Then why are you ordering a Pandora?

Edit: Up in the right hand corner of this forum is a search bar. It can answer a lot of your questions. You can also use Google to search the forums like this "my search string site:gp32x.de"

I have tried using search, it had no results.

Not specificity about emulators I was just wondering about the overall advantages over the psp a Pandora had

They're two very different pieces of hardware, so it's not really as easy as listing "advantages".

The Pandora, at this time, seems to be aimed primarily at a hobbyist sort of market (indeed, at the moment, each unit is being hand-built on a small assembly line in an ex-village hall somewhere in the north of England), which I gather the Sony PlayStation Portable is not.

You may want to have a read around the forums, particularly this very active section that we call General Talk, as well as the Developers' Corner (please don't post questions in there, though - those go here :)), to get a feel for what sort of things those who have already received their units are doing with them or making for them.

mali said:

Twice the length from the middle to the end.

Prometheus said:
The Pandora, at this time, seems to be aimed primarily at a hobbyist sort of market (indeed, at the moment, each unit is being hand-built on a small assembly line in an ex-village hall somewhere in the north of England), which I gather the Sony PlayStation Portable is not.

Really? What did you think Ken Kutaragi was doing now then?

SomeGuy99 said:
mali said:

Twice the length from the middle to the end.

Prometheus said:

Really? What did you think Ken Kutaragi was doing now then?

OMG! I bet he's building PSPs in a small village hall in Japan!

D.

You have to be trolling.

Hardware:
Battery life
Touch screen
Display resolution
More RAM
Better CPU
Better GPU ?
Analog nub(S!!)
Keypad
SD card slots
EXT connector
USB standard-A host port
USB mini-OTG port
Bluetooth better than the PSP Go
Clamshell form-factor

Additional capabilities:
Full Linux desktop environment
Better general computing, including web browser
Other OSes
Better media playback
Better emulation
Quake 1-3
Games for Pandora like Pandora Panic that are not available on the PSP

Other:
Does not require an exploit to be used fully
Heavier

Did I miss anything? By far the largest advantage of the PSP is that it can run PSP games.

typs lik dis said:
You have to be trolling.
Not necessarily. Some people just don't really understand.

Back