Pandora2 - powered by an HDMI stick?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
Remember this:
gamestick.jpg

And this: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11315-the-p2-companion-product-5-requiring-minimal-development/

and this: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/topic/11541-yet-another-of-these-my-ideas-for-a-pandora-2/

What if they were combined?

I'd make the P2, 2cm wider, and aim to have a 3.5cm wide PCB in the stick

The main guts (processor and whatnot) would be on a tiny board as slaeshjag describes.

This would have a protruding HDMI (MHL-compatible) type A and a flush miniUSB3otg port on one end

These would fit perfectly into corresponding connectors in the body of the P2 (keyboard, screen, nubs, SD slots etc)

The P2 body would play video from the HDMI connector, and do other things over USB3

Then you take the stick out, and plug it into your TV/computer monitor

The body goes into iCP mode and operates as a BT controller

Newer/better sticks could be produced every few years, to replace your old one

Endless technicalities could be entered into, but you get the picture :)

mini laptop with upgradable brain == BT controller with HDMI computer-on-a-stick

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this approach has a lot of downsides vs using an internal daughterboard:

- More plastic parts and connectors, higher assembly overhead, higher overall space restrictions. The existing dongles are actually pretty big.

- SoC board is more restricted (ie thermals) since it's limited to this enclosure.

- Power consumption is less efficient since the main board has to generate 5V output over USB then the dongle has to regulate that back down to whatever.

- The main board needs a transceiver to convert HDMI video + audio to its internal peripherals, instead of taking direct signals.

- Giving the body "iCP mode" means both sides need BT modules and the base needs an extra microcontroller, so you're paying a fair overhead in PCB space and cost to get this

Personally I think these dongles are a pain in the ass since you have to power them from the wall, and it'd be no different for this.

All valid points, except for the last one - you can get power off fancy MHL TVs, apparently.

I mainly posted this because I'm fed up with "OP should make a phone and a massively complicated iCP clamp"

All valid points, except for the last one - you can get power off fancy MHL TVs, apparently.
Maybe you can, I certainly can't off of my TV >_> I could probably power it off of USB from my TV but that requires another cable..

I have had this same idea, I think it's a winner.  Even if you take the board out of the sticks enclosure to plug it into the P2 shell.  IT could connect to it via usb rather than BT.  The big plus as Binky mentioned is that it future proofs it/makes it cheap to upgrade. The only issue is how do you align the ports on it to be accessible given you don;t know exactly where the ports on the next stick will be.

OP would make the stick(s), so the HDMI/USB ports line up.

If that fails, line up the HDMI, and use BT for the controls

I was thinking about the micro sd card slots and other ports that need to be accessed to put your card in.  If OP were to make the sticks then yes it solves that problem.  Although it does make it a bit more expensive to get someone to make a PC stick with ports customised to your liking.  That said, I do like the idea if it can be done 

I have been toying for some time an idea where a PC stick could be modded into an ICP2. The thing is I cant work out how to connect a touchscreen to it (you can connect a normal non touch screen).  Would make a great project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had this same idea, I think it's a winner.  Even if you take the board out of the sticks enclosure to plug it into the P2 shell.  IT could connect to it via usb rather than BT.  The big plus as Binky mentioned is that it future proofs it/makes it cheap to upgrade. The only issue is how do you align the ports on it to be accessible given you don;t know exactly where the ports on the next stick will be.
You should be comparing it with what's currently on the table, which is a daughterboard that has the CPU/RAM/PMIC and maybe embedded storage. From a design POV one doesn't really have advantages over the other, so it'd come down to usability POV.

If you have to open up the whole Pandora it'll be more work to replace this way. But it could possibly be designed so that you can unscrew a lid behind the battery to access it. This would still be more work, but not a huge thing to ask for something that's done really infrequently. You wouldn't be able to easily swap back and forth, but normally you shouldn't need to.

Back