Replace one SDXC with internal USB3?

USB3 Internal storage is very very very bad idea :p

There are some good points about it though :

Mainly, price (just bought a 64GB USB3 stick for £22.20 delivered) & ease of upgrade for the customer.

IMHO the option of using a USB stick / Micro SD / etc. as a NAND replacement via USB3 needs some serious thought & research. From my understanding you can boot the Pandora and run the OS from a USB stick, has anyone tried this and compared battery life when running the OS from the internal NAND? If anyone does this then please bear in mind that USB3 is supposed to be more power efficient when idle compared to USB2.

How about this sort of thing as a NAND replacement?

How about this sort of thing as a NAND replacement?
Its controller - chip that provide communication between USB3 and flash chips.

And again cheap flash chips will consume more power than specialized low power modules designed for phones..

I have ideal solution lets have both :)

1) Odroid like eMMC conector

- for people who want large and fast internal storage and are willing to pay for it

2) universal internal "USB dock" - (with hole in chasi for modding)

- there you can plug nearly anything (with little HW modding of USB gadgets, when adding output ports): 

flashdisk as bootable device,

USB Ethernet controller

2 port USB hub,

3G modem for internet

additional battery

or your favorite USB connected MCU with somethik like DIY IR controller

Its controller - chip that provide communication between USB3 and flash chips.
Hi ttxman & welcome to the boards.

The idea of this is to provide 'next gen USB3 storage'. That sounds like a good thing for P2 to me. If the 'next gen' controller allows for good R/W speeds & low power drain then this sort of approach would be a good call for Nand on a P2 IMHO.

Looks like an interesting development, could see it being used in all sorts of environments like full size laptop hard drive replacements, Android tablets etc.

ttxman.  Now that's what I'm talking about. You could even have a slider to help eject the usb stick.  All of this requires space of course.

dropping the NAND in favour of external storage also eliminates a possible failing component (I just had a bad experience where my phone's 64G flash chip failed - I would have wished I could just have popped in a new drive)...

Back