Pandorapanic! Fully Playable (still Wip) Download

MarkoeZ

arr matey?
Website
projectinfinity.org.uk
Hello all,

I put a windows and linux build of PandoraPanic online, links are in the Beta-test section.

I would especially like to ask some Debian users to test it, since i had movement problems with 2 minigames (jumper and joust) on one of my pc's and i can't figure out if it's a problem with my pc, or something in the code...

Sorry for posting this twice but i needed the attention of some Debian guys and it's just more busy here.

Cheers!!

p.s. Responses can go here, but are probably more constructive in the main PandoraPanic thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy to try them on my ubuntu (it's debian-based, do you need it to be tested on actual debian?), if you point me to the binaries :)

What about Gentoo love?!?

I will test this over the weekend and see how it goes, been meaning to make an ebuild of this anyway ;)

Very Respectfully,
Viridior

'viridior' said:
What about Gentoo love?!?

I will test this over the weekend and see how it goes, been meaning to make an ebuild of this anyway ;)

Very Respectfully,
Viridior
If you have gentoo 0.0.3 on the beagleboard working, i could even provide you with an ARM test-build :) But ofcourse all test are appreciated.

@B-zar, i stated "Links are in the beta-test section" ;) but here they are

CODE
pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/PandoraPanic-windows-public3.zip
pirate-games.co.uk/markoez/PandoraPanic-linux-i386-public2.tar.gz

Cheers!!

Initial feelings after a couple of test runs:
1. The title text in the title screen sometimes freezes (it just doesn't move, the game doesn't crash or anything), is this on purpose?
2. In some games, like the punchwrestlething, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, some control tips maybe?
3. I once got a freebie point, there was no game, I just won
4. ...and just now I lost without any minigame

Edit: Most games do have good instrutions, the ones I had problems with were the punchwrestler and one button bandit

'B-ZaR' said:
1. The title text in the title screen sometimes freezes (it just doesn't move, the game doesn't crash or anything), is this on purpose?
2. In some games, like the punchwrestlething, I don't know what I'm supposed to do, some control tips maybe?
Thanks for testing!

1 that's pokeparadoxes thing, cannot respond to that

2 That is what i am currently working on, instructions and button tips for all the games.

3/4 is because there is one game that cannot be played atm (doublenubtrouble). It works with the analogue nubs that a pc obviously does not have. Therefore it skips the game.

keep all tips/bugs/comments coming!!

cheers

'B-ZaR' said:

Edit: Most games do have good instrutions, the ones I had problems with were the punchwrestler and one button bandit
1) It's on purpose, the title screen does random things. But if it looks unpleasant somehow, I'd like to know.
3+4) It's skipping the game as MarkoeZ said. I put some detection code that checks if a USB joystick is present and skips the game if not... I forgot to force the status to winning though, so you win some and you lose some.
This won't be a problem on Pandora though since you will always have the Pandora control set.

Some more...

1. Most games seem to use "x" (a) as their main action button. The menu, however uses that as a "back"-button and "z" as the "ok". This, in my opinion, should be consistent.
2. I played through all the games a few times and found no other oddities than those I have already mentioned, great!
3. The high score name input should roll over A->Z and Z->A, It would speed up entering letters. I hope the final version will also have keyboard support :)
4. It would be nice not to have the same game twice (or more) in a row
5. PanJoust is my personal favourite :)
6. About the title text, it's okay if it stops for say, two seconds, but after that it feels like there's a bug in the game. I went over it a couple of times, and it seems to freeze more often than not.
And thanks for the quick feedback!

'B-ZaR' said:
Some more...

1. Most games seem to use "x" (a) as their main action button. The menu, however uses that as a "back"-button and "z" as the "ok". This, in my opinion, should be consistent.
2. I played through all the games a few times and found no other oddities than those I have already mentioned, great!
3. The high score name input should roll over A->Z and Z->A, It would speed up entering letters. I hope the final version will also have keyboard support :)
4. It would be nice not to have the same game twice (or more) in a row
5. PanJoust is my personal favourite :)
6. About the title text, it's okay if it stops for say, two seconds, but after that it feels like there's a bug in the game. I went over it a couple of times, and it seems to freeze more often than not.
And thanks for the quick feedback!
1. This is simply because I've been rewriting the SimpleJoy class to include my KeyMapper. Some things have been disturbed. We can start tidying the controls up now the keymapper is in place. :)
2. Good! There is a memleak we still need to find... grrr.
3. Good point! Did mean to do that before, but that's easy to add. Keyboard support... I need to figure out how to pass through the keyboard inputs in SimpleJoy. The other alternative is to do everything manually in pure SDL, but I'm trying to make it easier for cross platform so... Basically I can't see this happening in the first "final" release, but please know that it is intended.
4. Yes I can see that as being annoying, especially if it's a mini-game you don't like.
5. MarkoeZ has done a great job with it, that's for sure!
6. Hmmm it's supposed to look like the logo is tangible with the screen, i.e. like it's literally stuck to the screen! Sometimes it does this, sometimes it doesn't. I thought it was a cool effect. Anyone else not like it sticking on the screen?

UPDATE: I fixed No. 3, 4 and the Freebie bug.
The freebie behaviour is always there now if you don't have a pad plugged in. This is only on the PC test builds.
These changes are ready for the NEXT version.

thanks for the compliments on joust!! that's what makes the nights of lonely coding worth the effort ;) (oh donations are welcome too ofcourse :p /kidding )

About not knowing what to do in the games: I'm implementing real instructions for the games that need it now. They will shown when you pause the game. That way there is no irritating message for the people that allredy know how to play it. Seems ok to me.

Cant believe a game is getting released with a name I picked :p

'Username' said:
Some of the games are just not obvious. Maybe some arrows/buttons on screen to help out?
2 That is what i am currently working on, instructions and button tips for all the games.

About not knowing what to do in the games: I'm implementing real instructions for the games that need it now. They will shown when you pause the game. That way there is no irritating message for the people that allredy know how to play it. Seems ok to me.

<_< :p

But thanks for testing ; )

5x7d3o.png

Back