Pandoras For Review

Loon

Does anyone know what the plan is regarding 'professional' reviews of Pandora. By that I mean sending review models to sites like Engadget & Gizmodo, or perhaps to printed magazines and newspapers, broadcast media etc.

I would strongly urge against despatching any models for review in the near future.

Here is why :

1) There is no information available as to how anyone can order a Pandora from the second batch.
2) There are bound to be problems with the firmware / software in the early days.
3) There will be relatively little software available in the early days.

What I would do is wait until you are ready to accept orders for the second batch and send out the review models than.

This is based on the assumption that the purpose of sending models out for professional review would be to generate sales rather than provide information. I'm sure that there will be plenty of unofficial/unsolicited reviews to keep people occupied.

I can't think of any good reason to despatch review models now, can anyone else?

It was said a while ago, that they would have models for media review (and it is a smart move to do). Whether that is still true, I cannot comment on. Though, I doubt they'd shoot themselves in the foot, and not have units for that purpose.

quartercast said:
I think OPL can handle this, don't you?

I had a vague idea based largely on gut feeling and surmise that review models were going to be sent out from the first 1000, just hoping someone could tell me this was not correct.

This project has often struck me as enthusiasm over business sense, which is probably why I love it so much, however in this area I'd like to see business sense prevail.

@BackAssward It would indeed be smart to keep some models for media review, but what would be gained if these models were sent for review before orders for batch 2 (i.e. after the first 4000) were ready to be taken?

Last edited by a moderator:
A few sites are getting one, sites which followed and supported the project.

The sites which reported crazy misinformation (ie pretend journalism) can buy one.

One of the cool things about the Pandora project is that at this point, it doesn't need much more attention. Lots of people are getting theirs shortly, and that's generating hype as is. Supply is way less than demand; no point spending money on advertising/reviews until the demand's dropping below the supply.
OP are clever guys though; they've got plans no doubt.

craigix said:

The sites which reported crazy misinformation (ie pretend journalism) can buy one.

I'm curious to know which ones the "pretend journalism" ones are. If the one I'm thinking of is on that list, then that's just funny and I agree. :lol:

I paid for my "review sample". Loan, smoan! There's absolutely no way I'm going to be without my very own Pandora. Of course, I'm somewhere in the middle of those 4000 pre-orders, so the pictures/videos/unboxing I wanted to do would be a little stale by the time I actually get my hands on a unit.

craigix said:

Cheers Craig, good to hear that sites like engadget (my guess) will be getting a review model. But please think again if the plan is to despatch models for review before you are able to accept orders for batch 2.

Mr Loon said:
craigix said:

Cheers Craig, good to hear that sites like engadget (my guess) will be getting a review model. But please think again if the plan is to despatch models for review before you are able to accept orders for batch 2.
I'm really hoping the team will make an announcement soon in regards to the remaining batch 1 units(3000), and when batch 2 preorders will start, and how many units it will be, and when they expect to start delivering those?

I'm sure right now, they don't have time to think, as the first 1000 are top priority right now, but I'm sure they have already started the ball rolling for all future orders(paid and unpaid). We should hear something soon.

Chris

TylerAW said:
Does any site currently have one being shipped to them?

Really, it would make a lot more sense to send them review units once all the customer units have been dispatched and they're ready to start taking pre-orders for the second batch.

Pleng said:
TylerAW said:

Really, it would make a lot more sense to send them review units once all the customer units have been dispatched and they're ready to start taking pre-orders for the second batch.
No it would be fair to the customers to do that, but from a business stand point it would make since to give them a Review Pandora ASAP atm.

Ordinarily yes, but not at the moment it wouldn't as the first batch has been taken there are no units left. It would make more sense to do as Pleng said and then the reviews can pave the way for batch 2.

Sugar_Kane said:
Ordinarily yes, but not at the moment it wouldn't as the first batch has been taken there are no units left. It would make more sense to do as Pleng said and then the reviews can pave the way for batch 2.
How do we get reviews sooner by not handing out Pandora's to review sites? ;)

TylerAW said:
Pleng said:
TylerAW said:

No it would be fair to the customers to do that, but from a business stand point it would make since to give them a Review Pandora ASAP atm.
They probably will give a few out, but for customers and the business I would say it's better to wait.
Their getting and will get a lot of publicity anyway (unofficial blog can't handle it), so why get your reviews written up before your able to state how long the next pre-order will be?
People will just think 1st round was 2 years, this maybe better but they can't even give a proper date again.

Either way they go will be fine, so it would be nice to make sure all the customers have theirs.

Edit: @TylerAW - there will be a gap between delivery of first batch and the second

Back