Pandoras hardware revision name?

Which naming convention for different Pandora hardware do you prefer?

• I like "Pandora n.x.y" like software revision systems use.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I like "Pandora firstname" like the first Pandora OS (Zaxxon) use.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • I don't care, but it should be unique and easy to identify.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don't care, really.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I like "Pandora yy-mm" like a datestamp.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

double7

It's Evil Dragons magic
During the production process already minor improvements were done but now the first major hardware upgrade is in range of vision.

For marketing, aftermarket and especially trouble shooting an unique hardware name for each major setup everybody could identify easily would be very useful.

What do you think about this? What's your favorite?

Pandora v1.0

Pandora v1.5 <- (512MB)

or

Pandora First Batch

Pandora (*Not Zaxxon*) <- (512MB)

or

Pandora 20yy-mm

Pandora 2012-02 <- (512MB)

It would be nice if we found an official naming convention before the first new unit ships. :)

--

(*Not Zaxxon*) Enter your favorite name here.

edit: datestamp revision added

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaxxon refers to the OS. Whether it has 256 or 512MB of RAM, it'll still be running Zaxxon, or Yars Revenge is the next one I think. Or was it Y's? Whatever, it's all the same.

The PCB has a serial number (with a revision letter). Ideally the PCB assembly would also have one, which corresponds to a certain BOM list.. and then perhaps the full mechanical assembly. But I have no idea if that's the case here.

Pandora 1.0

Pandora 1.25 (now) (with 512MB)

Pandora 1.50 (wish it were now) (with 512MB and new 1Ghz CPU)

Pandora 1.75 (2013?) (512MB, 1Ghz, upgraded something else - wifi maybe? - but still using the same board, case, etc...)

Pandora 2.0 (2014) (Architecture upgrade to multi-core CPU - bigger screen, faster SDXC, 802.11n, gyro, compass, GPS, etc...)

The PCB has a serial number (with a revision letter). Ideally the PCB assembly would also have one, which corresponds to a certain BOM list.. and then perhaps the full mechanical assembly. But I have no idea if that's the case here.
If there is no functional change this revisions are for internals only. They are to difficult to find by casual users.

Reading the year numbers i added datestamps as option.

How about using letters:

• Pandora 1A (prototype version)
  • Pandora 1B (of circuitco)
  • Pandora 1C (with 512MB RAM)
  • Pandora 1D (with 1GHz OMAP)
  • Pandora 2A (experimental P2)
  • Pandora 2B (mass produced P2)

Yes, half of those are theoretical, but you get the idea. -_-

I don't really see any need for one, myself, but I've seen the 512MB RAM machines referred to as "512MB version", "German version", or "German-made Pandoras", depending on the context. :p So I guess I'll just use those if I need to differentiate.

Pandora Classic - 256 ram American

Pandora Rebirth - 512 ram German

Pandora xtreme - DM3730 512 ram German

Pandora 2 - 60Ghz hexacoe, 2 TB ram, 60" 1080p screen, wings, toster, etc.

Pandora Classic - 256 ram American

Pandora Rebirth - 512 ram German

Pandora xtreme - DM3730 512 ram German

Pandora 2 - 60Ghz hexacoe, 2 TB ram, 60" 1080p screen, wings, toster, etc.
Pandora Classic and Rebirth sound quite good to me. I don't really like the sound of Pandora xtreme. Products are usually called xtreme to compensate for their lack of extremity.

Heh. Just like a powertool with "professional" in the name, or a country with "democratic" in the name :D

Pandora Classic and Rebirth sound quite good to me. I don't really like the sound of Pandora xtreme. Products are usually called xtreme to compensate for their lack of extremity.

well, compared to 60Ghz hexacore....

your right though, xtreme was a bit of a cop out. It certainly wouldn't be very extreme compared to other handhelds spec-wise.

How about: Pandora we-can't-buy-the-old-chip-anymore-lucky-you version? :p

Or just Pandora Rebirth+ (Pandora Plus for short)

I once already polled about a standard for referring to the OS.

You can possibly learn from the results of this quite related topic.

My opinion concerning HW versioning:

1) Version numbers with:

• major numbers for total revisions,
  • minor numbers or letters for smaller alterations.

No preference in which style:

• 1 1a 1b 2 2a ...
  • 1000 2000 3100 3200 ... scheme like this would allow to encode subversion in 2nd position and configuration characteristics, i.e. CPU type speed, RAM, etc in the smaller numbers.

2) Names for marketing purposes (not so unemotional), allow associations, emotions, etc. But for clear reference and identification the numbers shall be used.

assuming a linear development progression, you could use the most significant alteration:

• Pandora1 (dev version)
  • Pandora1-256 (circuitco)
  • Pandora1-512 (glob-comp)
  • Pandora1-1GHz (with upgraded soc)

Easy to remember which is which.

I once already polled about a standard for referring to the OS.

You can possibly learn from the results of this quite related topic.
Thanks a lot. I found a confirmation that we need a unique name for the next pandora hardware. skeezix lead me to another idea. The new RAM is due to missing spares, so we have a sparepart fix. Pandora 1SF1. But that's just another n.x.y code without dots.

I really don't care which one of the possibilities it will be, but it should be set before the new pandoras see the public.

Back