Pandora''s Type Classification

you can hold it in you hand, hence HANDHELD

it is definitely not a UMPC, because who said its a PC.
theres macs which arent PC's and so this is called a pandora simple !UMPC

In recent years, the term PC has become more and more difficult to pin down. In general, though, it applies to any personal computer based on an Intel microprocessor, or on an Intel-compatible microprocessor.

after all words are only words
i can invent my own twisted language where UMPC means handheld once translated

Last edited by a moderator:
'lulzfish' said:
PC means Personal Computer.

And I will defend to the death the proper use of acronyms!
yes and the term for a Personal Computer is the above, acronym or not PC stands for Personal Computer which describes the above

a computer used for personal use is different.

once again its the stringing of words

'Alpha2' said:
'gp2.eXe' said:
Well, it does not seem so thin, but sounds nice...
It;s pretty thin if you put it next to a regular laptop

Yeah, I meant proportionally. Hey if it fits in my pocket it's thin enough.

'lulzfish' said:
"what the iPod Touch could have been if Apple didn't make it"
lol, "iPandora" came to my mind :lol:

A sub-UMPC?
A macroPDA?
The best thing since sliced bread?

:pandora1:

I would just call it a handheld gaming PC. Or, an ARM-based handheld gaming PC.

- "Handheld gaming" implies that it is similar to the DS, PSP, GBA, etc.
- "PC" encompasses the fact that it runs an OS and 3rd party applications, uses a file system, accesses a network as a PC, etc.
- "gaming PC" implies that it is optimized for gaming (like there are gaming desktops, notebooks, keyboards, mice, etc.)
- "ARM-based" explains that it cannot run an x86 OS or games compiled for an x86 CPU

Since the hardware is not open source, I would not generally refer to the Open Pandora as being itself an open source PC. You could call it a UMPC or MID (I think at first UMPCs were supposed to have around a 7" screen with a touch-optimized interface, but the whole thing never really took off), but I think "handheld" covers that and is a little more specific about the form factor. I personally would stay away from the "PDA" label, just because it runs a desktop class browser instead of a mobile browser -- so we will be able to do things like edit online documents on e.g. Google docs, get full access to services like MobileMe, use offline gmail, etc. -- in other words, things you generally would not be able to do on a smart phone or PDA, at least for now. Also, I think a PDA needs a thought-out PIM suite -- something that I hope happens for the Pandora.

I have clearly thought about this a little too much.

I think I might start calling the Pandora the hobbyist's handheld (if nothing else it has alliterative qualities). I think it is important to not overlook that the Pandora represents more than just hardware. The software options and the community define it as much as anything else.

I personally dont like the term "handheld" cause it sounds like you're able to hold something with both your hands like a dinnerplate, soupbowl, a sandwich etc....

lol + it's a clamdesign

uh...
PMC - Portable Micro Computer

'emcp' said:
theres macs which arent PCs
That is a lie invented by Apple marketing.

'kin' said:
I personally dont like the term "handheld" cause it sounds like you're able to hold something with both your hands like a dinnerplate, soupbowl, a sandwich etc....
But you hold the Pandora like that so the term fits very well IMO...

Define what it is, and what it does, then squeeze it into as few words as possible.

Its a linux based, open sourced, handheld computer with video game controls designed to run emulators, and other applications.
---------------------------------------
It's a linux based handheld emulator with built in controls.
Its a Linux Handheld, with built in video game controller.
Its a Portable Linux Emulator.

I prefer "Linux handheld with built in controller" myself.

'OrR' said:
'emcp' said:
theres macs which arent PCs
That is a lie invented by Apple marketing.

'kin' said:
But you hold the Pandora like that so the term fits very well IMO...

listen if you want to use words
this is what that means PC = blah

i personally hate apple, and have and will always reject any product given to be with the apple logo, i hate their marketing and i hate everything about them, i dont have a ipod i have a walkman which kicks its ass anyday, simply because the name is so much better :), and its made by sony (ill admit im a bit of a sony fanboy, even though its so painful)

Back