Path of Exile online ARPG

kavlor

Still Fresh
Anyone heard of this game?

Its an Indie game thats been in development a while now and is currently in closed beta.

Its pretty original game its skill system is based on gems that are socketed into gear and level up as you do.There is also what you call support gems that alter skills in major ways(somewhat like D3 rune system but more extensive).It also uses an unusual trade system based of how people traded in Diablo 2,using useable items as currency rather than gold.One of the other major features is it will have leagues which are different game modes that allow for various levels of difficulty,currently it only has normal and hardcore.

Being in the beta it feels a very solid game,the people behind it seem to know what they are doing and are pretty transparent about it.Oh and its a free to play,its business model will be selling vanity items to support the game,they are pretty strict on not selling items that give gameplay advantages.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not until now. It looks pretty decent. If the final version works decent in Wine, then I'll give it a try.

Theres a public stress test this weekend.It will soon be going into public beta.

Since I last posted they have added more skills.The skills are pretty varied from your standard Fireball skills(that can be multishotted) to reflective skills and aura type skills (that enhance party members) they will be adding trap style skills later(think Diablo 2 assassin except customisable traps).

Can't believe I'd never heard of this until recently, looks like it will give that over-hyped nonsense Diablo III a serious kick up the arse.

Open beta starts January 23rd

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/01/17/path-of-exile-overview-video
Yeah a lot of people have been saying it's the true D3(in the POE forum mind).Ive been playing it about a year or more on closed beta and I can say it does have that Diablo feel but also a feel of it's own.I can say it's about the longest I've played an Indie game.I'd say it also advances the genre with it's customisable spells(far deeper than what D3 runes give) and PvP modes.It also keeps what was best in D2 like the item based bartering(Useable currency items like the Sojs and HRs of D2).Build defining uniques (rather than being about power they give more build variety).There's also the potential to design your own uniques via the cash shop(you only design it you don't own the item)although this is likely very costly and understandable so.

Dare I say it,I think it's even better than D2 IMO.

Can't believe I'd never heard of this until recently, looks like it will give that over-hyped nonsense Diablo III a serious kick up the arse.

Open beta starts January 23rd

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/01/17/path-of-exile-overview-video
Yeah a lot of people have been saying it's the true D3(in the POE forum mind).Ive been playing it about a year or more on closed beta and I can say it does have that Diablo feel but also a feel of it's own.I can say it's about the longest I've played an Indie game.I'd say it also advances the genre with it's customisable spells(far deeper than what D3 runes give) and PvP modes.It also keeps what was best in D2 like the item based bartering(Useable currency items like the Sojs and HRs of D2).Build defining uniques (rather than being about power they give more build variety).There's also the potential to design your own uniques via the cash shop(you only design it you don't own the item)although this is likely very costly and understandable so.

Dare I say it,I think it's even better than D2 IMO.
Thanks for the comments.. I'd already decided to support these guys based on what I've seen so far, but it's always nice to get some actual player feedback.

I know this probably seems a bit shallow but.. what is your take on the visual design/art style? it looks interesting based on what little I've seen of it.

I think the graphics are ok mostly, they suit the mood of the game,sometimes when I'm in the town I notice how sharp they seem to look and are surprisingly detailed when you zoom in.I think act 2 on the last level has some of the better graphics.Anyway the truth be known the graphics have had a steady improvement that it's harder for me to appreciate them than someone who has just joined the game.

The music though is certainly impressive,less likely to turn it down than in some other games I play.

<rant>I'm willingly trying to watch an advertisement for a game. Why the heck are you showing me advertisements before the advertisement? That is exactly how to not get me to watch your video. I don't like ads but I tolerate them as necessary evils, but there is nothing necessary about ads piled on ads.</rant>

It's in open beta now & I strongly recommend anyone with even a passing interest to give it a try.. even given the limited couple of hours I've had with this, it's a superior game to Diablo III in all sorts of ways.. lovely visuals, quite brooding, Gothic? in style, scalable zoom (yay!)

First impressions are very good imho

http://www.pathofexile.com/

I've already subscribed but becfore I can play, there is the 5-6GB download, and I only have DSL 2000. Installer seems to be also tend to crash and you can start again with the download, I better grab the files from my buddy, he alsready plays PoE since closed beta. ^^

Besides that, it seems that my build of choice (Summoner Witch) is already useless because summoning minions was nerved pretty hard in many ways. However, PoE offers a ton of possible builds, I'm sure I will find something for me. :)

I'm also enjoying the game quite a bit, even though the servers tend to not like me at times. It's a free game, I highly recommend trying it to anyone since there's nothing to lose.

Back