Payback For Wiz?

vapourstreak

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey,

sorry if its been posted already, but I couldnt find it searching 'PayBack Wiz'.

Is the GP2X Payback compatible with the wiz or is there gonna be another version? I've triend the GBA version and loved it, so I want to play it again with awesomer graphics : )

Payback hit the hardware alot. It was a great demonstration of what could be done with the GP2X hardware considerig the lack of any 3D abilities.

Most of the hardware code would need to be rewritten, but luckly those are the things that are easier on the Wiz, like 3D. So maybe they could do a quick port of it. Maybe even improve it slightly again.

Payback would actually run better if it was ported to the Wiz as it has 3D hardware built in. And it would look better due to the AMOLED screen. My biggest problem of Payback on the GP2X was the viewing angle of the screen making it hard to see, even after changing the screen brightness, this will not be such a problem on the Wiz as it has a viewing angle of view about 85 degrees.

If PSX emu will appear on Wiz there will be a bunch of real GTA games, not that blury payback crap.

vapourstreak said:
LOL this is when we hope the developer does something
Well you never know, Payback being a commercial game and the Wiz being a commercial console.

It may be worth noting that even though the Wiz is an open source system, it's not in competition with any UMPC such as the Pandora, it's more targeted at the likes of NDS and PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only problem is the reproducible range of the display, and the fact that Payback uses "High Dynamic Range", a fruitless endeavor when the display cannot render it (don't ask how pissed I am at the crap graphics on all the demo PS3's and Xbox360's that are using LCD screens. The high dynamic range just looks bad.)

If OLED has a higher color range then normal LCD, then good. AFAIK Laser will have the best color range yet, far better than even Plasma.

nubie said:
My only problem is the reproducible range of the display, and the fact that Payback uses "High Dynamic Range", a fruitless endeavor when the display cannot render it (don't ask how pissed I am at the crap graphics on all the demo PS3's and Xbox360's that are using LCD screens. The high dynamic range just looks bad.)

If OLED has a higher color range then normal LCD, then good. AFAIK Laser will have the best color range yet, far better than even Plasma.
It does, so why aren't we using OLED screens everywhere? Because they are expensive!

nubie said:

I was pretty sure that when they said Payback used HDR techniques, it was in the generation of the scene, not what actually gets sent to the display.

It actually works the same regardless of the display's dynamic range. The point is that for any particular brightness map, you actually calculate all of the lighting for the game according to a wider one, and scale it down so that the brightness of everything on the screen is balanced according to what's in view. So in Payback, when you walk under a lamppost, everything gets darker, as the entire scene adjusts to the lamppost. Like a camera with auto-exposure. Apex used an interesting method to achieve the effect...precalculated lighting maps for everywhere in the game.

WarmFluffyUK said:
nubie said:

It does, so why aren't we using OLED screens everywhere? Because they are expensive!

:lol: , for the same reason that Plasma isn't the last word in screens, longevity.

Everything is a trade-off, and you have to face replacements.

I know Payback HDR wasn't so bad, I just wanted to vent on the crappy trend in gaming to mess up the contrast until everything looks poor, but I guess it has been happening since the invention of the bump map.

vapourstreak said:
how are you suposed to paly psx with a d-pad and four face buttons? what do you use for the analog sticks?
Geez, do you all not realize that PSX did not launch with a Dual Shock controller, but rather one with no analog sticks at all? Hence only one game requires the analog sticks (and it was a promotional game to sell the controller/new PS1s bundled with the controller), and a good number of ones made after Dual Shock was out don't even utilize them at all. Not to mention all the first and second generation PS1 games made before Dual Shock (like FF7).

I would rather see an enhanced version of it on the Panda, but it wouldn't be difficult at all for them to port it over to the wiz. For reference, the game did appear on the GBA so the controls are going to be similar to that game.

Exophase said:
vapourstreak said:
how are you suposed to paly psx with a d-pad and four face buttons? what do you use for the analog sticks?
Geez, do you all not realize that PSX did not launch with a Dual Shock controller, but rather one with no analog sticks at all? Hence only one game requires the analog sticks (and it was a promotional game to sell the controller/new PS1s bundled with the controller), and a good number of ones made after Dual Shock was out don't even utilize them at all. Not to mention all the first and second generation PS1 games made before Dual Shock (like FF7).

There is no need for analog sticks but there is still going to be some games that will need more than 2 shoulder buttons.

Back